Feedback on Paris Apt Rentals "Paristudios.com"

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 19th, 2005, 09:15 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm considering renting a studio apartment from a posting found on VRBO. I'm considering the "La Traviata" studio apartment. The price seems right, 470 Euros for 6 nights. The apartment is in the Latin Quarter and the pictures look nice. (www.paristudios.com). The owners are Parisien's living in New York (Claude and Vivienne?). Does anyhave any experience with these individuals or have stayed in any of their rentals? Your feedback is appreciated.
Old Feb 19th, 2005, 10:42 AM

I'd have a couple of questions before renting it.
But first, it says 630 a week. How are you getting a price of 470 for 6 nights?

I don't see anything about what floor it is on. I'd hesitate before renting one that is on the fifth or sixth floor with no elevator, but maybe that's just me.

Meanwhile it would be nice to get the exact address and check it out on pages juanes -- that area has many noisy cheap restaurants. Is this right above one of them?

But I think anyone who would put that red velvet chair in a rental unit has to have an amazing sense of humor. What a hoot!
Old Feb 19th, 2005, 12:29 PM
Original Poster

When I contacted them, they originally quoted me 370 Euros for 5 nights (we only needed 5 nights). Then, the owner offered an additional night for free.

He's now raising the price to 470 Euros because I did not commit with 24 hours. It makes a little nervous.

Thanks for your suggested questions. I will ask about the address.
Old Feb 19th, 2005, 01:01 PM

I guess he's just a businessman that was willing to cut you a real deal to get the apartment rented quickly, but isn't that desperate anymore. Can't blame him for that, it's his business. Maybe you want it for a period that isn't so popular. 80 euro a night is still pretty decent for a studio in that part of town. It looks okay to me for that rate, but I can understand wanting personal experiences with them. I don't like the way some apt. owners in Paris are chopping up small apartments and putting in floors they call lofts to put in an extra bed, and think getting up there would involve gymnastics, but if you don't intend to use that loft, it might be okay.

It's on rue Saint Severin, which isn't a big street, so the location is fairly predictable.

I found it interesting that he's advertising for parttime cleaning/handyman help for his Paris apartments on craigslist and offering 18 euro an hour for that. This is interesting to compare wages across countries for relatively unskilled labor. At least you know he cares about maintenance.

The other studio he has on there called St Severin studios looks better to me and is probably cheaper. Any reason why you prefer La Traviata? I know it has a real bed, not sofa bed, is that why? I just notice he's renting the other for only about US$475 a week, and he says it is third floor, not bad. Since he doesn't mention floor of La Traviata, I'll bet it's 5th or 6th (could be top floor since he said ceiling was so high.
Old Feb 19th, 2005, 01:40 PM

La Traviata: "The elegant, master king bed is straight out of act III of that opera."

Isn't that the final act, in which Violetta, abandoned by her rich protector, pathetically dies of tuberculosis, in her denuded and cheerless bedroom?

Some recommendation!
Old Feb 19th, 2005, 01:44 PM

Too funny, tedgale!!

Wow, 18 euro an hour for part time cleaning and handyman? Maybe I could go work for this guy a few hours in exchange for an apartment!
Old Feb 19th, 2005, 02:27 PM
Original Poster

He sent me the contract and the address is 14, rue Severin. It's on the 2nd floor.

During the time we needed the rental, he indicated that this was the only one available for the period.

I think everything's on the "up and up." It would be nice to hear from some travelers who've actually stayed there though.

I just thought this would be a much nicer experience than a hotel. It's my husband's first time to Paris and my 4th.

Thanks for your responses.
Old Feb 19th, 2005, 02:38 PM

I guess it's a done deal, but I did look at the pictures on pagesjuanes, and see that it is indeed above a couple of the cheap Greek and gyros type restaurants. Expect masses of people in the street below you until about midnight, and lots of confusion, as well as probably lots of early morning noise when they haul out the trash and bottles and make deliveries.

Just accept the scenario as "local color" and join in the party mood and you should be fine.

Old Feb 20th, 2005, 07:10 AM
Original Poster

Patrick: It's not a done deal; I only have the contract and have not yet sent any money. Now I'm reconsidering based on the comments regarding noise and being above a restaurant.

This is exactly why I love Fodors -- you guys are great! Perhaps a hotel wouldn't be so bad . . . LOL.
Old Feb 20th, 2005, 07:22 AM

When are you going? I don't suppose the place is airconditioned, so windows being open is a major issue here if the weather is hot. That's when the noise level could be deafening. And I'm only assuming the apartment faces out to the street right above the restaurant, with others next door.
Old Feb 20th, 2005, 10:10 AM

I think you should think about it, because I was actually thinking that given the locatins, being on the second floor is more of a disadvantage. It can get very noisy when you have a room that low right over even a cafe or restaurant (I have in a hotel), let alone that particular area which is teeming with people and noise until very late at night. I think I remember someone on here who rented an apt. in that area and even left for a hotel due to the noise. I just think if you are expecting peace and quiet, you might think about it.

The web site doesn't really state what the apt. looks out onto, though. It's hard to tell from the photos if it is the street (which is very narrow there) or some interior building space. Neither is probably really attractive an option in itself as I don't like apts that have windows on some small interior dark area, but it can be quieter. It can also not be so quiet as in a building without AC, many residents may have their windows open and you may be hearing their loud music and TVs and even conversation (been there).

These are always issues in renting urban apartments in older city areas, of course. I do like the guy's wit and style in furnishings, even though that funny red Alice in Wonderland chair would not exactly be something you want to sit in for comfort.

Depends what you are looking for or expecting in from renting an apt. rather than staying in a hotel. That is a cheap rate so you can't expect something really nice, of course, and you could well have all those same issues in any hotel at that price range, also--and probably would.
Old Oct 25th, 2005, 10:59 AM

Did you end up staying at this apartment? Or has anyone stayed there since this was posted? Thanks.
Old Oct 25th, 2005, 11:38 AM

I missed this back in February. I stayed at one of Claude and Varlane's studios on St. Severin.
Next time, I'll try to stay in their Marais apartment.
There was nothing WRONG with the business deal or the apartment, I just didn't like the noisy street! I need my sleep after walking around all day!!
<GRIN>
Old Feb 5th, 2013, 07:19 AM

We stayed there... with 2 children. The studio was okay. Easy access to everything, very convenient location. However the bathroom was EXTREMELY inconvenient. Go up 5 narrow steps, then go down 5 narrow steps and is completely open!! Water splashed out of the shower/tub unless you coruched and were really careful. There is no door, no ceiling so you look into from the loft area. The studio was big but I wouldn't recommend it for families with children at all. Other than that no complaints.