Feb trip to St. Moritz

Jan 15th, 2002, 03:49 PM
Kathy

Feb trip to St. Moritz

We have already booked a week at the Kulm in St Moritz for skiing and general fun. It will be our first winter ski trip to Europe. (I din't find this web site until after it was scheduled). We are wondering if the ski fashion is different in the alps. (We probably won't be skiing off piste). We are from New England in the US and ski the rockies as well. We wear many layers and gore-tex due to the wet/icy conditions. Also, we enjoy dressing, but it it really worth bringing the long fur coat et al? We'll be in Zurich for two nights at the end of the trip, any specific recommendations. (We are an active 50+ couple who enjoy almost everything)
Thanks for any help, we leave in less than two weeks!

Jan 15th, 2002, 04:08 PM
Amy

Hi,

I have not been skiing in Europe, but it sounds wonderful. Let us know about your trip when you return. I have heard that there is a lot of sun and the lunch break is long. People sit in the sun and take a nap. My daughter skied in Austria and wore what she usually does in VT. She did not have a fur coat for the evening, that is optional. Have a great time.

Jan 16th, 2002, 01:57 AM
Melissa

Hi Kathy,

I live in Zurich and have gone to St. Moritz numerous times. The skiing is not difficult, and if it is sunny it is beautiful. I generally wear stretch ski pants, a turtleneck and a warm ski jacket and that is all when skiing. It is nor wet or icy here unless the temp rises significantly, which I doubt will happen in Feb. You will see the same fashionable clothes you would in Aspen or Vail on the slopes. I vote for being warm and comfortable first, fashionable second.

My parents were just here and my mom was very happy to have brought her mink - she was warm and felt appropriately dressed. Zurich and St Moritz are quite dressy, and both boast streets with the usual high end (Dior, Escada, etc...) shops. Apres ski in St Moritz can be quite glamorous, if you so desire. You can also do more traditional, casual things such as fondue. Prepare for long lunches on the slopes - go at noon if you want a space at the better restaurants. You can certainly do the grab a sandwich thing, but you should do a long lunch once..and go the whole nine yards and order champagne!

In Zurich, you can walk the whole city in a day. Stores are closed all day Sundays and Saturdays after 4pm. For restaurants I highly recommend Caduff's Wine Loft if you like great wines (you pick them out in the cellar yourself) see www.wineloft.ch. Also recommended are Blau Ente and LaSalle. These are all pricey (about 200 CHF for dinner with a decent wine for 2)but I have never been disappointed.

Post here if you need more info - and have fun!!!

Jan 16th, 2002, 11:15 AM
ingo

I stayed several times in St. Moritz and surroundings, but the Kulm is not in my price range. I could be envious!

Melissa gave you good recommendations, so there is almost nothing to tell.

Be sure to bring some fine clothes for the evening with you: some restaurants, especially in the Kulm Hotel, require formal dress for dinner!

At the moment the snow conditions are really bad, so it is maybe better to bring your long fur coat ... for a walk on the frozen lake, f. e.

have a nice time!

Ingo

Jan 18th, 2002, 05:52 AM
Anna

Ingo,
I got really worried after reading your message. It's also our first skiing trip to Europe and we chose St. Moritz because we've heard so much about skiing and sunshine there.
What did you mean by saying that snow conditions are really bad? Are most of the slopes closed? Is it mostly icy? I'm sorry to bombard you with such questions but we'll be there first week of February which is pretty soon. Also, do you happen to know of any website where we can look up the weather in St. Moritz?
Thank you very much!

Jan 18th, 2002, 06:10 AM
s

There is a website for St. Moritz that gives weather reports as well as "slope conditions." This is a direct link to the slope conditions (only in German):
http://www.stmoritz.ch/index.taf?id=...030103&lang=en. If you want to hunt around the pages, go to www.stmoritz.ch.

s

Jan 18th, 2002, 07:11 AM
ingo

Kathy,

they really have no snow in the village and only about 30 cm natural snow on the higher slopes. Of course they are preparing the slopes with man made snow. So you can expect enough snow in the Corviglia area right above St. Moritz. As you can see on the website (Thanks, s!) 13 slopes are open. Unfortunately the slopes in the Corvatsch/Furtschellas area are in a worse condition. The second section of the cable car to Mt. Corvatsch is only open for walkers, not skiiers. Check www.silvaplana.ch On the left side you see the webcams of this area (only 6 km from St. Moritz).

The weather situation is changing at the moment. We had sunny and cold winter for a couple of weeks, but next week we expect warmer weather with snow in the mountains. Maybe St. Moritz will get some new snow, but it is not sure. You should have a look at www.meteoschweiz.ch They have an English version and a local forecast, too. Good luck!

By the way: I canceled my vacation (19.-26.1.) in Scuol, 60 km from St. Moritz.

Ingo

Jan 18th, 2002, 07:12 AM
ingo

sorry, the message is for Anna!

Feb 14th, 2002, 04:01 AM
Kathy

Thanks to everyone for advice! We had a great vacation--The skiing was on man made snow the first few days, then we got a meter of snow, and it was great. It is much warmer there, we only needed one layer and our ski jackets, pants. I had to remove hat, gloves, neck warmer, etc. I don't know if that is typical.
The Kulm hotel was excellent-food gourmet, service supurb, the little bar with band great for evening dancing (traditional, not disco). With skiing all day there isn't much time for anything else, but we did stroll about the upper village and window shop, stopped at an outdoor cafe for a snack, it was lovely. Since it was our first visit to Switzerland, we had nothing to compare it to, but we enjoyed it. Next time we would probably try a different ski resort just for a change.
Zurich was beautiful. We went to the Swiss museum and saw the Turner exhibit, and followed two of the dinner recommendations!
This web site was a great find, and I plan to check in occassionally as well as recommend it to fellow travellers. Thanks again.