Feb 8, 2001 Jeopardy!

Feb 9th, 2001, 07:17 AM

Feb 8, 2001 Jeopardy!

Did anyone else catch the episode of Jeopardy! that aired yesterday in the U.S.?

One of the answers had something about haggis. And the question was "What is Scotland?"

It was a proud moment for this Fodorite.

Feb 9th, 2001, 09:06 AM
Lori

I caught the show, got the answer right, and had a good laugh!!! Thank you Fodorites for enlightening me to haggis.

Feb 9th, 2001, 10:10 AM
elvira

Saturday night, PBS, a very silly show called "Bargain Hunt". Mother and very tall son "team", when silly host asks Mom "what're you feeding him?", she says "haggis".

And has anyone seen the USWest ad with the two Scottish ladies who love living in the desert but miss their haggis - and then go into a full description of it?

Feb 9th, 2001, 03:56 PM
vicki

I first learned of Haggis watching the Tonight Show. They had the winner of the World Champion Haggis Eating Contest in Scotland on and he demonstrated his skill for all to see. I had to close my eyes. Funny thing is though... he is from America not Scotland.

Feb 10th, 2001, 12:42 AM
Sheila

Vicki

When you think about it, that's not funny at all. Do we have ANY Scottish contestants?

Feb 10th, 2001, 04:56 AM
Cass

Does anyone else teetering on the edge of the twilight years remember a US TV game show called "Haggis Baggis" sometime in the 50s? Or is this a "fig" of my imaginative memory?

Feb 10th, 2001, 05:10 AM
joe

I just looked haggis up in the dictionary. I think I'll skip breakfast today. I seem to have lost my appetite.

Feb 14th, 2001, 10:34 AM
vicki

Sheila,
I hope you weren't offended by my post. I meant absolutely no disrespect to your fine country or it's traditions. I don't have any idea how native Scots feel about haggis. Possibly you have the same affection for it that most Americans have for fruitcake.
I will be visiting Scotland for the first time this year and am so excited to learn more about your history and culture. I also want to thank you for all of the informative posts on this site. I have read and enjoyed many of them.

Feb 14th, 2001, 10:44 AM
Sheila

No Vicki, I was joking! As seems to happen a lot in here, it went over your heads (sigh). You Amurricans do things different. No-one here esteems haggis. Some folk might like it and eat it, but it's not exactly a feature of worship. I was insulting (humour intended) you fellow countrypeople as the only ones in the world nuts enough to enter a haggis eating competeition!!

Feb 14th, 2001, 01:05 PM
Linda

I ate haggis on a trip to Scotland (but then I'll try anything once), and, though it's not on my top five list of things to order in a restaurant, I found it pretty good. By the way, I'm American.

Feb 14th, 2001, 04:07 PM
hag

Sheila - Humor itself doesn't translate well via the computer - it doesn't mean it "went over (anybody's) head", and I don't think it has anything to do with being American...or not being American. Can't we all just eat our haggis and be nice to each other?

Feb 14th, 2001, 04:37 PM
John

Elvira, yes, wonderful ad. I was drinking coffee across the room when I heard strains of Glesga wifey talking about haggis. Since we have to use their schlunk phone service anyway, at least I was pleased at my money funding a cool ad.

For those with working sound cards and speakers, try Groundskeeper Willie: http://www.fortunecity.com/lavendar/...d/1/haggis.wav

Feb 15th, 2001, 01:50 PM
vicki

Sheila,
It really didn't go over my head, I thought that was what you meant but wanted to cover all my bases. I guess you don't know how Americans feel about fruitcake. There is this joke that there is really only one fruitcake and we all take turns giving it to each other at Christmas because no one would ever think of really eating it.