Favorite views/streets/piazzas in Italy

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 29th, 2004, 03:42 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Seems like everyone recommends their favorite hotels and restaurants but I'm looking for recommendations on other things. I'll be visiting Florence, Siena, Lucca, Pisa, and Venice in July (also Prague) and I'm interested in places people went that they thought were really wonderful - in terms of piazzas, views, streets, courtyards, etc - that kind of thing. Not the big "sites" which are so well covered in guidebooks/internet sites. I'm a photographer so I always have in mind what places are partaicularly picturesque, but I also just love walking around and sitting in places that have that wonderful feel. So what are your favorite places?
Old May 29th, 2004, 05:49 AM
rex

Bassano del Grappa, Trento and more places than you can shake a stick at, in Venice.

Best wishes,

Rex
Old May 29th, 2004, 07:26 AM

Good morning, to me the first sight of the Pza S. Marco when enteringthe square after dark from the southwest
entrange facing the Bisilica San Marco,
the Campanile and the Procuraties, especially when the groups at the Quadri or Florian are playing...Do renew this view each time we return to
Venezia..Richard of LaGrange Park, Il..
Old May 29th, 2004, 08:31 AM

I don't know if mine "counts", because it may qualify as one of the big "sites", but I adore the Piazza della Signoria in Florence. It's so full of life and art and architecture and culture. Wish I was going again!
Old May 29th, 2004, 08:36 AM

The view from Fiesole in Florence, and as Rex said, every corner you turn in Venice.
Old May 29th, 2004, 08:59 AM

In Rome: Via Gulia - there are wonderful arches with long hanging Ivy I believe. I just got some pics back and these came out very nice as well as a subtle fountain against a wall.

Another favorite street is Via Coronari, between Paizza Navona & Castel St. Angelo. Mainly antique shops with apartments above, lots of people walking their dogs (great shots of this), my favorite coffee bar is here and there are two wine bars one that was just opening the night I left....

Most of the small roads that lead off of Coronari also offer small shops & restaurants. This past trip my favorite purchase was a thick plush brown cashmere scarf that I bought on Governo del Vecchio at a second hand store for 5 euros!
Old May 29th, 2004, 09:39 AM

In addition to the areas already mentioned, I would add the Janiculum and the Aventine Hills in Rome. The views are great and the feeling is quite different from central Rome. Also in Florence, there is Piazzale Michelangelo...a huge terrace offering superb views of the city and environs. (bring your panoramic camera for this one)
Old May 29th, 2004, 02:07 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the suggestions. Too bad I'm not going to Rome on this trip, since that's where most of the suggestions seem to be. Doesn't anyone have any thoughts about Florence or Siena (or Pisa or Lucca). Thanks
Old Jun 5th, 2004, 10:53 AM

In Venice, Campo Santa Margherita to watch the children play and the grandparents spoil the grandbabies.Also, the view from San Giorgio Maggiore. In Florence, the little square at the Church of Santa Felicita (do not fail to miss the Pontormo masterpiece, The Deposition, inside the church--you are 10 feet from it, no crowds--take a few Euros to put in the box that turns the lights on. In Siena, the view from the balcony of a third floor room at the Alma Domus convent guest house. You can day trip from Venice to Verona. There you can enjoy the view of the Roman bridge from the river along with the tall cypress just up the hill, the Piazza Erbe and the Piazza Signori.
Old Jun 5th, 2004, 03:23 PM

Following the comments of previous posters, every corner you turn in Venice is a photo op!
Photos from on high are sure winners. So, climb to the top of the duomo in Florence and the tower in Siena for some excellent opportunities.
Old Jun 6th, 2004, 03:43 AM
Original Poster

Suzshe - thanks so much. That's exactly the kind of info I'm looking for. I'll check them all out.
Old Jun 6th, 2004, 06:42 AM

isabel, I'm more of a nature nut and the Poppy covered fields and Cypress trees snaking up the hills around Abbazia Di Sant'Antimo moved me. Just driving down the road to the Abbey which was lined with trees was magic. If you know the Plane trees lining the roads in Provence you'll be able to relate. Sometimes the things most simple are the most inspiring.
Old Jun 6th, 2004, 08:10 AM

In Florence, walk across the Arno to
the Santo Spirito district; you'll find small streets and piazzas that fit the bill. While there, look for (or ask directions to) a restaurant called Quattro Leone (Four Lions), a place frequented more by local residents and less by tourists; this may provide further photo ops. In Siena, it's easy to wander up narrow streets away from the Campo and find yourself in a blind alley or courtyard - we have a lot of photos of such places with names we don't recall. In Venice, go across the Grand Canal (Accademia Bridge) to the Dorsoduro - off to the east, behind the Guggenheim, there are a couple of hidden-away piazzas that were basically empty when we stumbled across them; or take a boat to Burano. As for Prague, up around St. Nicholas Church and then up the hill further behind St. Vitus and the castle there are off-the-beaten-path alleys and small squares like what you are looking for. In the more central areas, particularly on the Charles Bridge, I'd say take your pictures in the early morning light, or at night, for best effect.
Old Jun 6th, 2004, 08:30 AM

also in florence, at the piazza della republica, i got some great shots of a group of older men who congregate around 5 or 6 each night on a bench by the carousal and the bln bank. looks like they have been doing this for years...

in venice too, i took so many photos of children playing and dogs?

sorry about my rome suggestions - i didn't read your question properly and just went off on my own, but hope you will make it there some day too!
Old Jun 6th, 2004, 08:36 AM

Hi isabel,
I just got back from Italy. I spent about a week off and on in Firenze. I agree with Iregeo's suggestion of P. della Signoria. I went there numerous times and had great photo ops every time. The Palazzo changes with the light and night time was special. P. del Duomo has some day and night interest as well. For good day pics I went early in the morning. Platzman's suggestion of Michelangelo Park is also another good one. I went up there and happened on a couple having their wedding pictures done. The bride was so beautiful in her dress as she sprawled out on a little grassy area surrounded by blooming annuals and perennials. I loved her poses. She was laid out with her dress pulled up showing her beautiful legs and the first thing I thought was, 'you never see these kinds of wedding shots in US wedding albums'. Before I knew it, I was taking pictures of her. I went up on the higher level to have a panoramic view of Firenze and yes, a wide angle lense would be in order here. Firenze is such a wonderful place with photo ops at every turn. The bride and groom then moved up to where I was standing. She and he posed in more unconventional poses on the blacktop leading down to another park area. I was compelled to take more pictures again. I don't know which I took more pictures of - the views of Firenze and environs or that couple but, I believe I burned a couple of rolls while up there.
P. della Republica, just a couple of blocks from P. della Signoria was another great photo op. setting and just a nice place to take a load off. There were musicians in the Palazzo any time of the day or night. There's a little merri-go-round in one of the corners and people constantly meandering in and out of the Palazzo.
I also spent a week down around San Gimignano... Well, I slept there. I drove all over No. Tuscany and I must say that the winding roads lead to quaint, secluded or very busy areas where I found that I needed to keep my camera to my face more often than not. I was driving toward Colle V. Elsa and saw a man on the side of the road painting a picture of the villa that stood across the road up on a hill. I stopped to take a few pictures of him and his work. We got to talking and I found that he is from CT. Before I pulled away, I got pictures of him with his work in progress as well as his address. I told him that if the shots turn out like I think they will, I'll send copies. I was so glad I stopped.
As for Venezia - it was so crowded that I felt I couldn't take a deep breath. But, keep your camera to your face there if you're looking for interesting subjects. There's plenty to be had.
Lucca - walk around the top of the wall. You'll know what I mean when you get there. It's a nice place to stroll with someone. A good place to observe the locals and have some down time as well.
I was getting burned out on site-seeing and opted for the coast between Marina de Pietrasanta down to Castiglioncella a few days of my trip. The beach was just what the doctor ordered. Barring beach traffic, the drive from Firenze was 1.5 hours +/-. Not bad.

Have a great trip.
Old Jun 6th, 2004, 01:45 PM

You are welcome, Isabel! I agree with beelady about Venice--exhausting by day--I felt like I was at Epcot fighting crowds and catching boats. At night, the crowds leave, and the canal sides are deserted. At least they were in the Dorsoduro west area where we rented a small studio for 3 days. Piazza San Marco was just lovely around 6-7 pm when the crowds and the pigeons had departed--wish I had stayed away during the day! Venice is unique and very beautiful, but if I had it to do again, I would stay elsewhere and day trip in (just like all those others I am complaining about!), perhaps in Verona which was just a delight and an easy 90 minutes or so away by train. Early mornings at Campo Santa Margharita are also great photo ops if the fish mongers are working (they were on a Tues. when we were there in May). There is also a great "locals" bar/osteria in the Dorsorduro call "Codroma" which was just steps from our little apartment. My favorite photo from Venice: a cat sleeping on the sill in the window of a mask-makers shop. You could see the woman varnishing the masks while the cat slept. Favorite photo from Siena: a Vespa parked underneath an flower laden balcony. I have no idea what the exact address/location for these pix would be, but that's the fun--not knowing what you will see while wandering around.