Favorite Vienna cafes?

Search

Favorite Vienna cafes?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 23rd, 2009, 04:31 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Favorite Vienna cafes?

Do you have any favorite Vienna cafes? There are all of the cafes in the travel guides, but I'm not going to be able to visit all of them, and you never know how good or crowded they'll be. I was wondering if anyone might have one or two favorite spots, in the major areas or a hidden gem that you'd rather not spread around because you want to keep it for yourself.

I probably won't be travelling outside the major areas, so city center, south, and west to Schonbrunn will be my targets.
Old Nov 23rd, 2009, 05:03 AM
hsv

I quite like the Hawelka in Dorotheergasse just off Graben in the city center. It oozes history, the service is refreshingly grumpy and there is a good selection of newspapers available.
http://www.hawelka.at/

Other than that Cafe Landtmann is quite alright, too.
http://www.landtmann.at/
Old Nov 23rd, 2009, 06:16 AM

My favourite is Café Diglas in the Wollzeile, just behind the Stephansdom. Very authentic atmosphere and excellent food. Medium-priced. Here you can have a look:

http://www.diglas.at/popup.html
Old Nov 23rd, 2009, 06:23 AM

Cafe Schwarzenberg is beautiful. It's located on the Ringstrasse and is a great way to spend a rainy morning.

http://www.cafe-schwarzenberg.at/en/index.html
Old Nov 23rd, 2009, 07:37 AM

It isn't a coffee cafe like Landtmann or Hawelka, but if you get a chance drop by the Trznewski sandwich shop just off the Graben (look up, you'll see a sign) They have fantastic open faced sandwiches, generally with egg salad and a host of maybe 50 other things, kept neat and tidy by a fleet of waitresses wearing hankies in their pockets. You can point and order one or two and a pfiff of beer, which is the cutest little glass stein about 1/8 the size of a regular stein. Just enough to wash down a small sandwich or two. The place is unique to Vienna and a great treat. Enjoy.
Old Nov 23rd, 2009, 08:58 AM

I loved taking breaks at celebrated Demel (Kohlmarkt 14), a confection in itself of mirror and Venetian glass. We thought it deserved its reputation. Have the hot chocolate or einspanner coffee, and strudel or other pastries. You go up to the pastry case to choose what you want. A few other light foods like salads are available, but that’s not the reason to go. Location very central.
www.demel.at
Old Nov 23rd, 2009, 09:06 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I really enjoyed the Griensteidl, which is about as central as you can get, and has an "old Vienna" feel. Good coffee, good lunch food, good service, and free newspapers. Avoid the Korb - they tried to short-change me.
Old Nov 24th, 2009, 02:36 AM

Griensteidl is very good and completely non smoking for those wishing this atmosphere. This just across the street from the Hofburg palace on Michaelerplatz.

Central Cafe on Herrengasse , also not fr from the Hifburg has a very nice atmosphere, much history to the place and usually music in the evening.

if it is full , they have a smaller place just across herrengasse , perhaps 75 meters away - same pastry , nice atmosohere and less tourists.

Cafe Braunerhof

on Stallburggasse nesr to the Spanish Riding School.
Nice Vienna style - often some music too.

Cafe Oberlaa- the best pastry of all in my opinion-
several locations in the city center.

Cafe Sperl- old style - no renovations to the original -quiet and good.

Demels - has lost its former appeal in my opinion..Now it seems always overfull of tourists clamoring for overpriced and more mediocre offereings