Reload this Page >

Favorite thing you brought back from London

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 15th, 2002, 11:16 AM
Vita

Just trying to get some ideas for souvenirs.

Old May 15th, 2002, 11:29 AM
Diane

Depends if it's for yourself or gifts, but here's a few ideas...<BR>* pub tea towels -- kind of kitschy<BR>* tote bags from Harrod's <BR>* VERY IMPORTANT: Hob Nob cookies (rather, "biscuits", as they say there) -- oh, to die for! (can find these in some specialty stores in the US)

Old May 15th, 2002, 11:50 AM
bobbie

On Saturday morning one store in the Portobello Market area had really nice framed "oil" paintings, about 4X6, very inexpensive, like a cat sitting on a cushion with large ruffled collar or toparies, wish I had bought more of them.

Old May 15th, 2002, 11:59 AM
Kathy

Paddington Bear.<BR>Tea.<BR>Marmalade from F&M.

Old May 15th, 2002, 12:05 PM
elaine

There is a chain of stores called<BR>Accessories. There is one on the same side of the street as Harrods, between Harrods and the Knightsbridge tube stop, but there are other locations that I noticed.<BR>They carry inexpensive, seasonal accessories like summer straw hand bags, cotton or silk-like scarves/wraps, hair do dads, flip flop sandals with flowers on them, etc. All very colorful. I wish I'd bought more of the bags and scarf/shawls, most were under 20 pounds, a few were more.<BR>The flip flops and some sunglasses came in kids' sizes too.<BR>

Old May 15th, 2002, 12:10 PM
Suzy

An antique print of the Tower of London, as seen from the river, in a storm, looking really scary and spooky.<BR><BR>A fistful of pencils, from all the places I went to. Every time I grab one out of my pencil cup, there I am at the Tower or Aquarium, or British Library, or whatever, again. They cost little, take up virtually no space, and are self-storing and self-limiting.<BR><BR>My mom loved the tiny collapsible umbrella I got her at Liberty of London in one of their pretty fabrics.

Old May 15th, 2002, 12:19 PM
pete

There are bears dressed up like Yeoman Warders (Beefeaters) in Harrods. My daughter loved it.<BR>Ties or scarves at Liberty

Old May 15th, 2002, 12:49 PM
Ada

Tea from Whittard of Chelsea<BR>London Underground souvenirs<BR>Harrods bears and tote bags<BR>All relatively inexpensive!<BR>

Old May 15th, 2002, 12:52 PM
martha

Non-perishables from a Tesco Metro (small grocery store chain) like Colman's mustard, oatcakes, things in neat packages that you won't see in the states. Bath bombs & hand-made soap from Lush (in Covent Garden). Wagamamma T-shirts (real conversation-starter). Not from London, but a favorite: CD of the bells, organ, & choir at Yorkminster. (Westminster probably has the same thing).

Old May 15th, 2002, 12:58 PM
KenCT

No contest. Rosetta Stone mousepad from the British Musuem. Not too expensive, easy to pack, no security hassles, non breakable, and most importantly, everyone who got one loved it.

Old May 15th, 2002, 01:03 PM
Tammy

I'm with Elaine, Accessorize is a great store. Not only is there one near Harrod's but also in Covent Garden and other places throughout London. I was just there last week and bought a fun purse and belt. I also like the Christmas ornaments at the major sites of the palace guards, beef eaters, and bobby's. Tea tins are always a good idea, whether from Harrods, Fortum and Mason, Twinings shop on the Strand or Whittards.

Old May 15th, 2002, 01:03 PM
liz

Be sure to visit the Reject China Shop, just up the road from Harrods. You can complete your dinner service or start a new one and they have some great prices. Best yet, they ship to the US and have great service, arrives fast, intact, etc. They also have some china from France, Italy, etc. as well as the most popular English patterns.

Old May 15th, 2002, 01:04 PM
kavey

No one mentioned LUSH yet...<BR><BR><BR><BR>Hey do you think I could get a job as a LUSH evangelist??<BR><BR>Go butterballs go!!!

Old May 15th, 2002, 01:08 PM
kavey

oops<BR>missed martha's post...<BR>

Old May 15th, 2002, 01:09 PM
elvira

Chart (bought in the Tower of London gift shop) of the Royal Family's "tree". It's the only way to keep all those Jameses and Charleses straight.<BR><BR>Wooden spoon from Hampton Court's Kitchen shop.<BR><BR>Giant jigsaw puzzle of Harrod's<BR><BR>Harrod's tote bag - had this one for three years, carry it every day, just now the handles are starting to fray<BR><BR>Odd spices from Harvey Nich's - the little tins are very cool<BR><BR>The very best, though, are the hot-off-the-presses books by favorite British authors like Ruth Rendell, P.D. James, etc. The books are published in Britain first, so I've already read the latest by the time the books hit U.S. stores.<BR><BR>

Old May 15th, 2002, 01:18 PM
KenCT

Those of you recommending food gifts: Don't know when you last flew out of London, but about a month ago, I was pulled out of line. Randomly, I would hope, since I'm don't look particularly dangerous. The bag which I was planning to check was inspected so thoroughly that every jar/tin of preserves, mustard, tea etc that I had purchased for gifts was opened. Every box of perfume, candy, etc. was as well. <BR><BR>Probably just my own bad luck, but you should know that it's a you may not arrive home with your gifts intact.

Old May 15th, 2002, 01:18 PM
al

8 cans of bitter;<BR>1 Harrod's wine opener;<BR>2 bottles Fairy liquid; <BR>2 boxes Hob Nobs.<BR>

Old May 15th, 2002, 01:27 PM
Penny

Does anyone know where you can get artwork of street scenes of London, or other parts of Britain reasonably priced?

Old May 15th, 2002, 02:19 PM
carolyn

For myself, a Wedgewood brooch from Harrods as well as a vinyl tote bag that appears to be indestructible. For others, keyrings, Christmas ornaments, mugs, etc. from Harrods' basement and food items from the groceries.

Old May 15th, 2002, 04:04 PM
Tracy

A husband.<BR><BR>Love at first sight!<BR><BR>Have a great day everyone = )

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -