Favorite Stories of Madrid and Seville

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 21st, 2003, 09:07 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is just for fun. I'm brimming with excitement about my trip to Spain next month and I don't think I could possibly read enough about it. Just curious about any fun stories about Madrid or Seville that people had or any interesting off the beaten path experiences.
Old Apr 21st, 2003, 09:24 AM

<BR>March '97. After two weeks in Morocco arrived in Seville to meet my then girlfriend. It was carnival time so Seville was hopping and the alcohol flowing. <BR><BR>After Morcocco, oh the thrill of being able to order without haggling; the ease of transportation; the clean hotel room; the sun and drinks and hotel bed...<BR><BR>
Old Apr 21st, 2003, 11:43 AM

I went to Madrid, Seville and Ronda with 2 of my sorority sisters from college. We were sure we knew where we were going in Barrio Santa Cruz and got lost walking in a circle about 4 times in the pouring rain. We were on our way to flamenco show ans lucky a nice couple with some umbrellas knew where it was. We had a great time walking and talking with them! Renting a car and driving the mountains between Malaga and Ronda is not to be missed. We almost got sick from the twists and turns! Ahhh, the memories...
Old Apr 21st, 2003, 05:52 PM

Sevilla: Local, amateur, Sevillano dancers at El Tamborin in Zona Santa Cruz. Don't go until midnight.
Old Apr 22nd, 2003, 03:20 AM
Bootman4U

When we went to Spain (Madrid and Barcelona mainly) two years ago I swore I could never get used to eating &quot;late&quot; (after 10 PM) and I was so tired of hearing about tapas especially from Rick Steves and how you just HAVE to eat them that I knew I would hate them. I also had heard SO many comments about where to go and not to go...gee, just like the messages on this board...but my resolve did not waiver. When we arrived in Madrid we were tired and took a nap and futzed around a little doing abit of general sightseeing. About 8PM we decided to head out and look for a place to eat, got on the Metro and wow..it was JAMMED...everybody else was heading out too...wonderful fun. We ended up eating out no EARLIER than 10 PM every night and loved it..weather was great even in August (hot and dry in Madrid) lingering outside over a meal was magic somehow. In Barcelona (the only place I have ever been pickpockketed..because I didn't use my money belt that day and yes I would go back there in a heartbeat) some of the restaurants weren't even OPEN until 10PM. And that brings me to the dreaded TAPAS...they are, and the &quot;bars&quot; they are served in wonderful!!!!! We ate and ate and ate, sometimes hopping from place to place. I found these parts of Spain at once very grand and also very relaxed..lots of other visitors but there's a reason people flock to certain places. <BR>I hope you enjoy your trip to Spain as much as we did....I think the place is wonderful and have only been to two of the cities!

Old Apr 22nd, 2003, 08:42 AM

Vita,<BR><BR>I always love to share the happiness and enthusiasm of others who are getting ready for a wonderful trip! While I do not have any specific Madrid or Sevilla stories to share off the top of my head, (although they are 2 of my favorite places on the planet), maybe a book or movie would help you continue to anticipate the wonders of Spain.<BR><BR>Have you read The Seville Communion by Arturo Perez Reverte? It is set in Sevilla, obviously, and has lots of Spanish atmosphere to soak up. Also, less specifically about Sevilla, but Driving Over Lemons and Spanish Lessons are 2 books about Brits moving to Spain and encountering the Spanish lifestyle in all sorts of frustrating but endearing ways. <BR><BR>The classic flamenco films of Carlos Saura, Carmen and Blood Wedding, may seem kind of dated from the 70's but they always are enjoyable for me.<BR><BR>We have also enjoyed reading the stories collected in Traveller's Tales of Spain edited by Lucy McCauley.<BR><BR>Have a great time!<BR><BR>Maria
Old Apr 22nd, 2003, 11:18 AM

I'll never forget my magic day in Seville. It was Easter Sunday (last year) and the sun was shining, the fragrance of orange blossoms were perfuming the air, and my husband and I walked to the Plaza de Espana. As we approached, a small group of musicians were playing &quot;Yesterday.&quot; I stood tranfixed at the entire scene, when I heard a woman behind me singing &quot;Yesterday&quot; in Spanish! Oh, it was so magical...as is Seville.<BR><BR>Luckily, we were able to purchase the CD from the group (Ink America--Magic Dreams) and have great pictures. Every time I hear the CD and look at the photos,I'm back in that place. <BR><BR>Loved Spain so much, we're going back in Nov.<BR><BR>Have a wonderful trip! (And share with us when you return.)