Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Favorite restaurants in Lake Garda and Montepulciano?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 8th, 2015, 04:14 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi all! My husband-to-be and I are splitting up the research for finding restaurants for our honeymoon next May. I'm in charge of finding places around Lake Garda (staying at the Beach Hotel du Lac in Malcesine) and Montepulciano (Hotel Panoramic). We're looking for one "special" meal in each location (perhaps around 40-50 euro/pp) as well as some more casual suggestions. Would love places with a view and a more local feel, and hopefully not more than a 30 minute drive from each of our locations (we will have a car). Ideas welcomed
Old Dec 8th, 2015, 07:40 PM

Hi there. We've spent several weeks in the Montepulciano area and here's a list of our favourite things to do you may find helpful

Montepulciano (Cafe Poliziano for coffee with its cute terraces out back with wonderful views)
San Quirico - beautiful formal garden in centre.
Pienza - cheese shops, and for Mothers Day in May has flower festival
Montalcino (Read Vanilla Beans & Brodo)
Bagno Vignoni (go late afternoon to avoid tour groups- has wonderful thermal pool in centre - sit and paddle your feet in the warm water of canal)
Sant'Antimo Abbey and listen to monks chanting
Lunch at Osteria La Porta in Monticchiello - book a table on the terrace for great views.
La Foce Gardens (Read War in the Val d'Orcia) (only open certain times)
here's a link to markets:
http://www.lecasinedicastello.com/in...id=103&lang=en
Old Dec 8th, 2015, 11:10 PM

Everything that dana5 said - the first time we went to Bagno Vignoni we sat and dipped our toes in the channels, but on subsequent visits stayed and actually soaked in the pool that is open to the public - see: Piscina Val di Sole. (Wonderfully warm/hot). If you read War in the Val d'Orcia (quick read)it will greatly enhance your visit to this area, imo, especially since the finale takes place in Montepulciano.

We've had 6-8 different meals in Montepulciano over the years and I can't say we have had one that is in the Michelin category of "worth the trip".

However, a short drive outside of Montepulciano is the charming walled town of Monticchiello and the Osteria La Porta....that IS "worth the trip". If you go, be sure to make reservations as it is very small and very popular and ask for a terrace table--the view of the valley below is spectacular! http://www.tripadvisor.com/Restauran...ny.html#photos

As for Lake Garda, if you happen to get up to Riva del Garda, this is our favorite for seafood/fish. Have eaten here 3 different occasions and had a wonderful experience each time. Especially wonderful to sit outside under the umbrellas to enjoy the ambiance of Riva del Garda. http://www.tripadvisor.com/Restauran...lto_Adige.html

Congratulations on your upcoming marriage!
Old Dec 8th, 2015, 11:53 PM

Your budget for one "special" meal is actually pretty much the norm for eating a meal in any restaurant in those popular places, even an ordinary one. You don't need to spend a lot of money to eat deliciously in Italy if you do some specific research, and very casual places without a view will certainly cost less and they are plentiful. But if you are looking for a place with a special ambience, elegant decor with a great view, the price per person is likely to go over 40/50 euros for a full meal, especially if you are drinking wine. Just a heads up.
Old Dec 9th, 2015, 04:40 AM
Original Poster

dana5 and klondike- thank you so much for the wonderful ideas! I'll do some research into them. And I think my veteran fiance has a new Christmas book waiting for him under the tree

I'm glad that you both mentioned the thermal bath- we are actually hoping to visit a spa while we are there. I looked at Terme di Montepulciano, but now I am looking at the Hotel Posta Marcucci as well. Anyone have any feedback on these or other spa experiences?

sandralist- thank you for the heads up! We will adjust the budget accordingly
Old Dec 10th, 2015, 06:11 AM

Hello from Montepulciano.

For a special occasion I would recommend La Grotta or Le Logge del Vignola (both formal, great service average price Eur 50-60 per person, wine and service included, dressy casual). La Grotta has a very nice garden open on Summer (advanced reservation required).

One of the favourite spots by the locals is Osteria Acquacheta (av. price Eur 20,00 per person).
This osteria is famous for the "Fiorentina" steak, but a wide choice of local food, handmade pasta, seasonal vegetables is offered on a menu changing every week. Two sittings, 7:30 p.m. and 9:15 p.m., reservation is absolutely required.
It's a perfect experience for food, but it's an osteria: they have a sort of long table so that you would be sitten near other people, you will have only one glass for the water and the wine, and so on. The ambience is great, the service is attentive, but it would not be your place if you should look for an intimate and romantic dinner.

For the view, you can consider the terrace of Antico Caffé Poliziano (better for lunch), or we would be happy if you would like to consider our wine bar & bistro "E lucevan le stelle", on the ground floor of the Locanda (famous for the sunset view on the valley).

Ciao, and thank you for choosing our town as one of the destinations of your trip to Italy!
Cinzia - La Locanda di San Francesco
Old Dec 10th, 2015, 03:27 PM

Do the cheese tasting or have lunch at Podere Il Casale in the hills between Montepulciano and Pienza.

Loved the food at Gattavecchi too.
Old Dec 11th, 2015, 03:51 PM

We stay in Montepulciano at least once a year. Our favorite and very special restaurant is La Grotta.
Old Dec 13th, 2015, 05:43 AM

Re: Bagno Vignoni. We have stayed at the hotel Posta Marcucci and enjoyed it very much. They have spa services available (reserve ahead),which we did not use, and found their restaurant to be delicious. For a young person looking for some exciting night-life Bagno Vignoni might be a little too remote and old-world. If you are looking for a hot thermal pool whose view plummets over the Orcia Valley in quiet solitutde then this would be the place. Family run but first class service. Just received an email from them that they are currently closed until March doing major renovations to the spa/hotel.