Favorite Pubs in Dublin?

Dec 8th, 2000, 07:44 AM
Tom

Favorite Pubs in Dublin?

Any favorites? Pubs that are worth a visit? I'll be leaving a few days prior to my sister. Would she be safe to go have a beer by herself in a Dublin pub?

Dec 8th, 2000, 07:55 AM
AC

Hi Tom:
To answer your questions in order:
any of them
all of them
absolutely!
Most recommendations seem to recommend the Temple Bar area. I felt safe and had a great time in any I stopped in. I'm terrible at remembering any of the specific places. Have fun!

Dec 8th, 2000, 09:17 AM
Thyra

Tom,
Agree 100% with the above. The Temple Bar area is a lot of fun, and you will see a nice mixed bag of folk there. College students, tourists and mature drinkers. I lived in Dublin for a while and never felt unsafe there, even taking busses late at night. The only problem your sister may run into is really attractive, and friendly Irish men who will flirt.. but theres worse things I can think of....

Dec 8th, 2000, 11:22 AM
Judy

Thyra: any cute guy stories hmmmm? ;-)

Dec 8th, 2000, 02:32 PM
Cathy

Tom,
Just remember that Temple Bar pubs are designed to fleece the tourists with "ye old Irish"music etc put on. One of the best best for traditional music is O'Donoghues off Merrion Row. Also check out the new Guinnness Hop Store. Pubs outside the city centre are more popular with the natives.

Have a great time,

Cathy

Dec 8th, 2000, 03:04 PM
Fran

You have to hit Mulligan's--best black stuff in the world, and one of Joyce's old hang outs. The Temple Bar area tends to be packed with annoying drunk Brits (make sure your sister holds out for an Irishman!) on bachelor parties.

Dec 8th, 2000, 07:19 PM
Pat

Ask about 'The Dublin Pub Crawl', which leaves nightly from (forget the name) Joyce's favorite pub.
Two Irish actors walk the group around central Dublin, stopping at the favorite pubs of such writers as O'Neal, Sean O'Casey, Samual Becket, etc. and they recite a few moments from the writer's work---then you all go in for a drink or two, or three. It was the highlight of my time in Dublin.

I remember at one of the Temple Bar pubs that the crush was so great, the musician passed his empty glass to the nearest tourist for a refill and continued playing. The glass came back ten minutes later stuffed full of wet, beery money. The musician looked at it with disgust, got up and left. If you want to reward a musician, you buy him a drink.