Favorite Plaka restaurant

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 1st, 2004, 10:44 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you had one afternoon/evening in Athens, and wanted to have either late lunch or dinner in the Plaka, which restaurant would you choose? Ideally it would have great quality food and romantic atmosphere (it's our honeymoon!), and would be reached via a nice leisurely stroll through the Plaka. Unfortunately, our day in Athens in a Sunday, when many of them seem to be closed. Any suggestions would be much appreciated!
Old Jul 1st, 2004, 11:30 AM

We ate at an outdoor restaurant called the Three Brothers, on the sidewalk under a tree with a view of the acropolis. The location was great unfortunately the food was only slightly above average.
Old Jul 1st, 2004, 11:51 AM

I normally do not like eating in Plaka, consider it too touristy, but if you want to visit it and eat there, go to Daphne's. It is probably the best one there.

Lysikratous 4
Old Jul 1st, 2004, 11:55 AM

With no disrepect to sempronia, I find it funny that I was going to post to say that Daphne's was nothing special. I decided not to, and then I saw sempronia's post.

But everyone has a different view. It's highly recommended by many sources.
Old Jul 1st, 2004, 12:02 PM

OK, it's not in the plaka, but we really enjoyed our dinner at a taverna called Strofi. It's a roof-top restaurant with fabulous views of the acropolis - we found it very romantic. Not sure if it's open on Sunday or not.
Old Jul 1st, 2004, 12:16 PM

No disrespect taken... I totally agree that Daphne's is nothing special, but, then again, most Plaka restaurants aren't. I do think that Daphne's is above average, though, and tends to be well-acclaimed by most visitors.

Wow, I have not thought of Strofi, but that IS a great suggestion, especially for it's view!! Little bit off Plaka towards Herodeon, but worth the walk...
Old Jul 1st, 2004, 12:23 PM

Well, in that context, you're probably right, sempronia. Actually generally I'm pretty happy with the food I get in Greece -- I eat lots of fish. It's simple but it all seems fresh.

Don't know Strofi but sounds interesting.

Old Jul 1st, 2004, 01:15 PM

Loved Greece, and Athens was fine for a couple of day before going to the airport, but Plaka is a waste, particularly on your honeymoon.
Old Jul 1st, 2004, 02:30 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, everyone. I know it's touristy, but my fiance's never been there and I do like the pedestrian strolling thing. I have been there a few times, but have always just randomly chosen a Plaka restaurant and have never been very impressed with the food- fine, but nothing special. Does anyone know a place called Psara's? My travel agent suggested it, but I've never heard of it.
Old Jul 1st, 2004, 03:20 PM

We had dinner at a place called Event, in the Plaka, very "clever" food. Quite a stylish place. They put a modern twist on some Greek staples. A very good wine list as well.
Old Jul 1st, 2004, 05:07 PM

We ate at a place called Adriana's I think. We actually had a few meals there, it was very good. It's at the Acropolis end of the plaka on a small incline. Great at night, outside with little twinkly lights. This restuarant has tons of locals, they are mainly mafia!!! Very interesting!
Old Jul 2nd, 2004, 09:19 AM

Out of curiosity, I did a search for Psara's. It comes up in this article in the Baltimoire Sun:

http://www.baltimoresun.com/travel/b...rtslife-travel

It sounds lovely, actually.
Old Jul 3rd, 2004, 04:27 PM

To Geråni at Tripodon 14 is also a nice place to get a sausage flambeed in ouzo. It is not one of those horrid mass tourist restaurants on the main streets. It is very pleasant to sit on the balcony off a quiet street with a glass of ouzo and saganaki. They will show you most of the menu if you are not sure and you can try an assortment of mezedes.
Old Jul 4th, 2004, 12:36 AM

Dapne's has got some negative recent reviews and is considered very expensive for what they offer...no view at all

Xinos is a real greek experience for the quality of the meals the greek ,for its musicians and for the authentic greek atmosphere.

Strofi, is one of the best choices...you can 'touch' the Acropolis

Greek house Attikos is one of the locals favourite,after the Herodion concertsBreathtaking view of the Acropolis and the Herodion.

Kouti near Thyssion(on the Adrianou street), is perfect for an alfresco lunch.(light meals,and cakes)

Old Jul 12th, 2004, 01:11 PM

I think Doug P was referring to the Five Brothers. If so, I agree. After several bad Plaka restaurant meals, were coaxed in by promise of a cold, large German beer. It was great and so was the food. We came back for dinner and sat gazing up at the beautifully lit acropolis not to mention part of the Roman Agora was right in front of us. Service was very nice and reasonable prices. We splurged one night and asked for the chef to prepare a platter of fresh seafood. It was huge with shrimp, calamari, 2 varities of whole fresh fish. Greek salad and dessert incl for 80Euros for 4 adults. We had very good food each time we ate there--in fact we didn't bother with any place else for fear of disappointment. Good Luck!
Old Jul 12th, 2004, 07:53 PM

I was going to mention Xinos, my favorite Plaka restaurant,too, but I don't think it is open on Sunday, which is the day the poster will be there.
Old Jul 13th, 2004, 10:40 PM

We went to Psaras last summer, and had a lovely lunch in a beautiful spot beneath the Acropolis, on the lower part of the hill. Many movie stars had been there, with posters about the walls.
Old Jul 20th, 2004, 03:52 AM

Our vote: Taverna Spilia
Old Jul 22nd, 2004, 12:16 PM
Original Poster

Hi everyone and thanks for all of the great suggestions. We just got back yesterday from our trip, and it was fantastic! I'll post a trip report this weekend, but in the meantime...

We did end up going to Psara's for dinner that night. It was really a great spot, at the base of the Acropolis, but not with a view of it. The tables were scattered along an outdoor staircase to the Acropolis, on many levels with additional indoor seating (which nobody seemed to use). At the top of the stairs was a church, and there was a wedding going on that night, so we had great people watching with the guests and the bride/groom. The entire place was lit with votive candles, and it was quite romantic. Very nice. I recommend it, more for the setting than the food, but that seems to be the case with most Plaka restaurants. More later.
Euro
Old Jul 22nd, 2004, 12:23 PM

I was going to post a recommendation for Daphne's but have been thrown by the above comments.
What is the deal about "expensive for what you get" and "no view". It isn't about a view at all, but I found the atmosphere there, both in the garden and in the interior, truly beautiful and I suppose very romantic! A place doesn't have to have a view in my opinion to make it worthwhile. I found the food very good, the service outstanding (especially for Greece!), and certainly for what europhile is asking it is a big step up from most of the busy Plaka places where you are gawked at by the passing crowds.