Favorite places to stay on Santorini

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 6th, 2005, 07:54 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've been searching the archives and making notes to plan our 10 day trip: Athens, then by air to Santorini, then by ferry to Crete. I would love to hear more about your experiences with hotels in Santorini--mid price range. Thanks,
Old Apr 6th, 2005, 08:29 PM
Original Poster

Addendums...When I look at the lodging websites suggested, all the places look great... Also, can't decide which village to choose. Your experiences and opinions would be appreciated, thanks again..
Old Apr 6th, 2005, 10:54 PM

Hi SusieCue

I can understand your dilemma! I would generalise your choices into 3 categories Oia (traditional village, spectacular sunsets), Fira (the main town for shopping, nightlife etc) and the beaches (see this link for overview http://www.santorini.com/ourisland/beaches.html). It really boils down to what you're into. Wherever you stay everything can be reached easily by bus, taxi, scooter or car.

I stayed at Grotto Villas in Firostefani - lovely!

Have fun
Old Apr 6th, 2005, 10:55 PM

Hi Susie,
one thing i can tell you for sure is to stay on the caldera. Fira is more crowded, and Oia more romantic in my opinion. You have also the choice between Firostefani and Imerovigli.

If i could find a decent, normal price hotel for Oia on the caldera, i would stay there!
Old Apr 6th, 2005, 10:56 PM

If you want loads of atmosphere, nice cafes and restaurants but with less nightlife, choose Oia. We stayed at Esperas Villas and thought it was absolutely dreamy.
Old Apr 7th, 2005, 05:55 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for replies... Night life is great, depending on how late it begins. We've found on some of our travels that nightlife really begins at 10 and we are too worn out to enjoy it. Had a hard time catching traditional music in Ireland in the small pubs because you had to arrive so early to get a good seat, but long wait till the music began. Question, is night life on Santorini traditional music kind of thing or more like bar scene for 20s and 30s set?
Old Apr 7th, 2005, 07:50 AM

There's both types of nightlife there, Bouzouki as well as Disco. But the 20-something singles scene doesn't get under way until late. There's a Greek Taverna, Ellenes, across from the Olympic Airlines office, where you can go to hear bouzouki and see Greek dancing.

I always recommend Oia as "the place to stay" but it really depends on your requirements. Take a look at this link for a comprehensive list of choices separated by village. The two main beach areas are Perissa and Kamari. The villages with a view of the Caldera are Fira, Firostephani, Imerovigli and Oia. The Anemomilos Hotel in Oia has a pool, caldera view and very reasonable pricing.

http://www.santorinihotels.com/hotels.php

Old Apr 8th, 2005, 08:49 AM
Original Poster

Thanks to all. I think it will Oia. The Esperas is gorgeous but beyond our means. Considering brotherleelove's suggestion. Also, I've seen the Volcano Villas mentioned here; any comments on it? Finally, what is a "traditional" house?
Old Apr 8th, 2005, 10:14 AM

We stayed at the Volcano Villas last year and found it nice. It has a caldera view from all the suites and was affordable compared to some on the rim. It's actually in Finikia which is beside Oia but only a short walk away. Bus stop is located out front and a nice traditional taverna is across the road which has great traditional music at night.
Old Apr 8th, 2005, 10:35 AM

We spent a wonderful 2 day in Oia at the far end of Santorini. It was the BEST! We stayed at Oia Mare (http://www.santorini.gr-santorini.co...iamare-villas/) Rates are posted there and depending on when you're traveling they were more reasonable that most. We also booked through a Greek Travel Agent (found on the web) and got a 25% discount----you could try this-but this was a few years ago. It had gorgeous rooms or small apartents (smalll kitchen saves you money with lunches, snacks a grotto-like pool that is heaven to swim in at night. A van from the airport is met by a donkey that carries your bags to the hotel. Oia is less touristy that Fira (Thera) and you can get everywhere by walking. Be sure to walk all over and explore the cave-houses and up to where the bells hang, you'll recognize them from all of the pictures of Santorini.

"1800" was a very good restaurant to eat in and picking up cheese, tdziki (yogurt, cucumbers and mint) and crackers at the small grocery store in town was perfect for lunches. I've also heard that The Blue and White restaurant which is down on the water front is very good. It's a little out door restaurant. They have fresh fish they cut it up and throw it on the b-bque. Great for watching the sunsets also

We rented a car for one day and went to the archeological dig at the other end of the island which is still active I think and gives you an idea of how they excavate, etc with out being very large, Can do it in 1-2 hours.

Fira is lots of bars and everyone gets together to watch the sunset. I've read about taking a cable car down from there to the shore or walking down and taking the cable car up!
We hated to leave after 2 days so maybe just relaxing on one of the black sand beaches will take up your 3red day. Good Luck...we loved it there.