favorite place to base in Provence?

Dec 30th, 2014, 09:42 AM
Original Poster

favorite place to base in Provence?

what is your favorite place to base in Provence? I am hoping to go there for an anniversary with my husband. We love all kinds of things, especially history, architecture and beautiful landscapes. I love to be anywhere where I can speak as much French that possible as I have studied it for many years. Would have seven days there.
Dec 30th, 2014, 09:46 AM

The Luberon region in general, St. Saturnin les Apt specifically.

http://www.accommodationinprovence.com/The_Region.html
Dec 30th, 2014, 10:01 AM

We rented a home in Rousillion for a week in the Luberon region and loved it. Very convenient to the other Provencial towns for day tripping.
Dec 30th, 2014, 10:10 AM

Avignon and L'Isle-sur-la-Sorgue are considered to be excellent bases.
Dec 30th, 2014, 10:35 AM

To me the best base is yes in Avignon or its vicinity - you are at the epicenter of so so many neat little day trips - Les Beaux, St-Remy-de-Provence; the Pont du Gard; Nimes and its stellar Roman relics; Arles; Uzes; the Camargue and on and on.

Many seem to like St-FRemy-de-Provence for a more low-key base - a nice old town but Avignon itself is yes a sweet larger city with lots of restaurants and trappings of a city if that turns your bonnet.
Dec 30th, 2014, 12:28 PM

It is also a TER hub if you are not driving everywhere.
Dec 30th, 2014, 02:24 PM

I agree with Deb - Luberon. We've visited Provence for a total of 20 weeks.

What keeps us returning to Provence is the beautiful countryside (lavender & sunflower fields, canyons, mountains, vineyards, "cute little hilltop villages"). Not the cities (although Aix, Avignon, and nearby Montpellier are in our "top 10" large cities.

We've based in:
Luberon 6 weeks
Bedoin 8 weeks
Near St Remy 2 weeks
Near Uzes 2 week
Near Vaison 2 weeks.

Stu Dudley
Jan 1st, 2015, 08:51 AM

When are you going?

Much of Provence is very quiet from October until April.
Jan 1st, 2015, 09:00 AM

We have been in Provence this year from mid October thru mid December. IT is a grand time to go; no crowds and almost everything is open and functioning with some minor exceptions.

We have also spent the month of February which almost the same with a few more smaller cafe/bistro's closed but still lots to see and do with the entire place to yourself!

We did last 2 weeks of Sept and the weather was glorious but more people; certainly not summer crowds, but busy.

The big outdoor markets are open, museums are open and you can hike about easily unless there's been snow which we only saw a couple of times on the trip in February.
Jan 1st, 2015, 09:18 AM

We stayed in the Luberon this past June, based in Gordes. That and Rousillon were my fav villages. we really enjoyed hiking to the top to visit the chateau of the Marquis de sade and some enormous statuary in Lacoste. Menerbes has a Charming small market on Thursdays. We found some lovely affordable watercolor prints of the various villages at the market.

Gordes is wonderful for dining. We stayed at this B&B and recommend it highly. Service is discreet but the owner is delightful and serves a great breakfast on the terrace.

Www.lesterassesdesoubeyran.com
Jan 1st, 2015, 09:21 AM

St Remy because you can visit the Camargue, The Gard, the Perche villages and take the auto route for a day trip to see the Cote Azur
Jan 2nd, 2015, 05:49 AM

Our family has spent several months a year in the village of Bonnieux in the Luberon for over ten years... we've been there at all times of year. It's a lovely historic village with amazing views and good services and eating places year-round. We also find this a central location for visiting other parts of Provence. The entire area is interesting and even after 10 years, we continue to make new discoveries.

If you have seven days and can stay Saturday to Saturday, you might look into doing a rental and staying in one place for the full week. You'll have the experience of "living" in Provence and also the flexibility to prepare some of your own meals, something we love to do.

Kathy