Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

favorite hotels in Vienna, Salzburg, Munich?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 11th, 2001, 10:15 AM
janice

I'm doing a 2 week Austria/Germany trip over the Christmas holidays - the tickets are booked and it's time to pick hotels! <BR>Do any of you have favorites that you can recommend? Thanks!

Old Jun 11th, 2001, 10:45 AM
richard j vicek

Good afternoon, Janice <BR>Can only make a recommendation for Wien, <BR>and that is the HOTEL MAILBERGERHOF, <BR>Annagasse, 7 which is a four star hotel iwth 35 rooms and located about one <BR>full block from the Opera House. It is <BR>in a quiet street just off the Kartnerstrasse, have used it three or four times over the years and been bery <BR>satisified with it. <BR>Couple of ristorante suggestions, Batzenhausl. Rest. Weiner Rathauskeller,Cantinetta Antinori and Zum Donnerbrunnen in the Europa Hotel. <BR>Ricahrd of LaGrange Park, Il... <BR>[email protected]/... <BR>

Old Jun 11th, 2001, 10:55 AM
Been There

Last June I stayed at the Goldner Hirsch in Salzburg, Austria. I would strongly recommend this hotel. It was definetly pricier than other hotels but well located and had great rooms. It is a member of Relais and Chateaux. I have never stayed in a Relais and Chateux property that I would not recommend. In Munich, I usually stay at the Hotel O der Oper. It is a small hotel with a great location. It is not in the same class as the Goldner Hirsch but clean and well located. I would definitely splurge in Salzburg. In both cities there are more conventional hotels that seem to attract a convention and/or business clientel. These two hotels have more charm. Have a great trip.

Old Jun 11th, 2001, 11:56 AM
BTilke

Another good Vienna hotel recommendation is the Hotel Kaiserin Elisabeth on 3 Weihburgasse, less than half a block in from the Karntnerstrasse and about a block from St. Stephan's. It's a 4* hotel; the rooms are very comfortable and we found the service excellent. We've stayed there three times in the last 14 months and have had nothing but positive experiences. Several good restaurants on that street as well. <BR>BTilke <BR>P.S. While you're in Vienna, go ice skating at night at the outdoor rink in front of the city hall. You can rent skates there. We did it on the very last day they had the ice rink up and had a fabulous time. <BR>BTilke

Old Jun 11th, 2001, 12:17 PM
s.fowler

You don't mention your price range. <BR>At the high end I'm a fan of SAS Radisson Palais. It's around the ring near the Marriott opposite the Stadtpark. But if you walk behind the hotel it's just 5 minutes to Stephansdom. Mid-range we've stayed at the Hotel Wandl on Petersplatz very near Stephansdom.