Reload this Page >

FAVORITE HOTELS, B&B's, GUESTHOUSES in Ireland

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 13th, 2003, 08:05 AM
maryintwin

Would like to get input on travelers favorite places to stay in Ireland especially in the cities of Galway, ennis, Kinsale and Kilkenny. Thanks!

Old Oct 13th, 2003, 12:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If you 'do' the Ring of Kerry, here is a very good B&B:
SeaBreeze in Cahirciveen.Run by very friendly young couple and is brand new.
Old Oct 14th, 2003, 05:55 AM
maryintwin

to the top please

Old Oct 14th, 2003, 06:09 AM

Just got back from Galway and I can give you advise on where not to stay. We stayed at CollegeCrest Guesthouse on College Rd. It was recommended by Rick Steves and a few others on the internet. When we arrived, after confirming reservations made 3 months prior, it took awhile for anyone to answer the door. OK, that is to be expected. The woman was on a cordless phone and couldn't stop her conversation to take care of us. Finally she broke free and acknowledged us and showed us our room. It was the only room on the ground floor squeezed between the smoking lounge and staff room. The window was blocked by a large concrete wall and trash all around the ground. Not a pretty sight. The woman left us immediately to continue her phone conversation. We decided to ask for another room if possible. I knocked on the Staff room door and she was very annoyed and told me she was on the phone and yelled for Patricia who was making the beds up to show us room 11 upstairs. It was slightly better and so we agreed to take it. Patricia was pleasant and appeared to be embarrassed and flustered by the other woman's behavior. It wasn't until we actually got into the room that we noticed a terrible mildew odor that permeated everywhere. We went back and forth on whether to stay or leave. We ended up wimping out and staying. The last night (3) I noticed a flea on the wall. No it was not flies, it was a flea. The atmosphere of the guesthouse was that of a funeral home. The whole guesthouse had an odor of greasy food and it completely colored our stay in Galway. Avoid it.
Old Oct 14th, 2003, 06:27 AM

I like the Temple Gate Hotel in Ennis. The Great Hall is an old Gothic Church associated with the Convent across the Square that now houses the Tourist Bureau. The 3-Star Hotel is centrally located, has a huge parking lot and is newer and quite modern as compared to the Old Ground (150m away, on O'Connell St.).

It is quieter than the Queen's hotel down Abbey Street which has Cruise's Pub adjacent to it.

If you stay at the Temple Gate, tell Owner John Madden that a Yank named Ned recommended it. I've stayed there several times.

Old Oct 15th, 2003, 05:16 AM

Kinsale: Kilcaw House
Dingle: Heaton's Guest House
Old Oct 16th, 2003, 10:00 AM
gbs

We stayed just recently at the Four Seasons in Galway, an easy 5 minute walk to town. We had a great time there, wonderful, helpful hosts and great breakfasts. We had a great time and would heartily recommend it. In Ennis, we stayed at the Rose Cottage. Don't. We didn't care for the smoke from the bar area downstairs and thought the rooms were very mediocre. Write to the Tourist Office and they will give you some good recommendations.
Old Oct 20th, 2003, 07:50 AM

Galway:
Glenlo Abbey = $$$ (excellent!)
Four Courts Hotel = $$ (got package deal)
Jury's Inn = $$ (breakfast not included in price)

Kilkenny:
Norebridge House B&B (not IN Kilkenny but close to it...)

Cheers,
Wendy