Search

B&B in Galway?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 14th, 2004, 07:28 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
B&B in Galway?

My travel agent has us booked at the College Crest B&B in Galway, but I've seen mixed reviews on different forums on line. Has anyone been there recently?
Old Feb 14th, 2004, 09:26 AM

My husband and I stayed at the College Crest in October 2003. We saw good reviews of it and also that Rick Steves uses it for tours.
We confirmed our rooms before leaving and arrived at the expected time. It took awhile for anyone to answer the door. Upon answering the woman (never got her name)let us in and acted very annoyed that we were there and bothering her as she was chatting on the phone. The B&B was empty at 1:00 p.m. and it didn't appear as if anyone was checked in as of yet. She placed down the phone and again acting annoyed and acting as though she didn't know who we were. I dealt with her and was polite even though I was concerned about the treatment. She proceeded to show us the only guestroom on the ground floor, next to the lounge and breakfast room. It was small, dark and there was a cement wall next to the window, which when you looked out at it was full of garbage on the ground. We decided to ask if there was another room available. The woman had gone back to her phone call and when I knocked to speak with her, she sighed loudly and called up to the third floor for a woman who was changing beds to come and help us and show us to another room on the 2nd floor. It was slightly better, but the bathroom had such a strong mildew odor that it was almost unbearable. We were tired and upset with the treatment, but stupidly took the room. We should have left, as there were alot of guesthouses on College Road that looked better. The guesthouse had the air of a funeral home. The breakfast was ok and the young woman that served us was pleasant enough, but the initial welcoming and the room with the horrible mildew smell totally turned us off. I would try to get booked elsewhere.
Old Feb 14th, 2004, 12:08 PM
gbs

Try the Four Seasons, just down the road from College Crest. We had great visit there, the family is charming and the breakfasts were really great.
Old Feb 14th, 2004, 12:20 PM

I second the Four Seasons recommenadtion.
Old Feb 15th, 2004, 05:38 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all for the info. I was particularly concerned about the description of the ground floor room, since my wife can't do stairs.
Old Feb 16th, 2004, 07:06 AM

I just returned this week from Ireland, having stayed two nights in Galway at the College Crest. This is my second stay at the same B & B, this time having the room on the first floor. It does have a view of a wall, but from the second floor you have a view of the lot, so if you are trying for a good view, this isn't the place. I had no problems with the service, it seemed in line with every other B&B we have stayed at in Ireland. Friendly and efficient.