Search

Favorite City

Search this Thread

Old May 25th, 2009, 02:25 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Favorite City

I am always interested in peoples opinions in regards to German cities to visit as a tourist.

If you had to recommend one city in germany to a friend that was a tourist planning a trip there for the first time, what would it be.

Please, please, no double answers, or I can't decide stuff. This is simply, your favorite city, town, village etc. Thank you.
Old May 25th, 2009, 02:32 PM

What's hard to figure out is why my favorite city would mean anything to somebody else.

Meaning, I think there's something faulty in the premise of your question. Surely your friend or you has SOME interests or reasons for bothering to fly to Germany that would be good to satisfy.
Old May 25th, 2009, 03:32 PM

I'd have to say Berlin. It would be hard to go wrong with a visit there, whether or not it's someone's favorite.
Old May 25th, 2009, 04:14 PM

Gotta be the Big M
Old May 25th, 2009, 04:25 PM

My favorite city in Germany is usually the one I'm in at the time!

I know, not fair, but I have yet to visit any place in Germany that I didn't absolutely love. Of course, we pretty much stay in the smaller towns either in the mountains, along a river or a lake.

But I guess if I absolutely had to choose, it would be Rothenburg ob der Tauber. We have been there at least a half dozen times, starting way back in the early 1980's. You have to stay at least a couple of days to really get the feel for the town because at times it can be overrun with tourists. But there are those special moments, when you are off all on your own and realize how wonderful it is to be there.
Old May 25th, 2009, 04:35 PM

Munich - I could live there! Plus you can take side trips very easily.
Old May 25th, 2009, 10:37 PM

Big cities:

There is a clear number one: Berlin. Grandiose architecture (Unter den Linden, Gendarmenmarkt), an unbelievable array of museums, among them one of the world's "big four" (the Pergamonmuseum - comparable only with the Louvre, the British Museum and the Metropolitan Museum), contemporary architecture, abundant options for nightlife and options for innumerable daytrips (Potsdam castles, Schwerin palace..).

My number two is Köln - with one of the most spectacular cathedrals in Europe, twelve romanesque churches, rich Roman heritage, excellent museums, the Old Town.

Number three is München.

Medium-sized cities:

A ranking is harder, but maybe this would be my shortlist:

1. Aachen - the cathedral (dating from 800 A.D.) is so overwhelming.

2. Bremen - because of its historical architecture.

3. Münster - the town of the Westphalian Treaty.

Small towns:

1. Wernigerode - because of its architecture and the train into the Harz mountains.

2. Quedlinburg - architecture, atmosphere and its proximity to Wernigerode.

3. Rothenburg ob der Tauber (anybody knows it).
Old May 26th, 2009, 12:49 AM

Berlin, no doubt about it.
Old May 26th, 2009, 02:42 AM
Original Poster

Wow. I never even said mine. It would be Bamberg. Great midieval architecture ( not bombed in WWII ). Great beer especially the smoked beer. Nice size, not too big or too small.
Old May 26th, 2009, 08:37 AM

München. Only becuase you qualified the choice: "If you had to recommend one city in germany to a friend that was a tourist planning a trip there for the first time, what would it be?"
For me I enjoy Garmisch-Partenkirchen as my home base.
Old May 26th, 2009, 09:11 AM

1. Munich
2. Berlin
3. A small city in the Rhinegau.
4. Saxony (Dresden/Leipzig)
5. Hamburg

You could drop me in any of these places and I would be perfectly happy.
Old May 26th, 2009, 09:20 AM

My favorite city is Berlin - I ove the museums. But you may hate it. Without knowing your interests it's impossible to say.
Old May 26th, 2009, 10:03 AM

I prefer shorter visits. I think that Regensburg is my favorite as a two day tourist stop.

Regards, Gary
Old May 26th, 2009, 11:09 AM

>Munich - I could live there!
München, born there, live there, but honestly I'd like to die someplace else, age 99 on a holiday in a bizarre and unheard of place. I'm trying hard to find a better place, maybe one day when here everything is packed with foreigners and tourists, I'll move to Adelaide, but until then, I'll stay at home. Don't want to have to go to Hahndorf for a decent beergarden . And those trees down there usualy lose their branches when you're just sitting there...
Yes, I confess, I want to live in Bavaria, with Bavarians around me. (or at least some people that behave like us).

So all you foreign and national tourists (unless you're from Australia) behave.
Old May 26th, 2009, 11:12 AM

And should you be from Australia, you could at least invite me to an australian barbecue at the Isarauen!!
Old May 26th, 2009, 11:16 AM

Thin LOVES Berlin.

Prost, schotzi!

Thin
Old May 26th, 2009, 11:40 AM

My next trip report, if I ever finish the Venice on I'm working on now, will be on Berlin. I visited in late February-early March, so it was still a little chilly and rainy, but what a fascinating place!

I agree with the comments on the museums, but the city itself pulses with art and life and history. I rented an apartment in Mitte for a week, very close to the New Synagogue and across the street from Tacheles, an amazing semi ruin populated by artists. Then I stayed in a B&B, Mittendrin, in West Berlin near the famous KaDeWe department store and the ruined Kaiser Wilhelm church, which is now a peace monument.

There is a huge difference between east and west Berlin; it is two cities in many ways. I am glad I experienced some of this dichotomy.

It's a great place to walk, but the transit system is superlative, with trams, buses, U Bahn (subway) and S Bahn (surface trains). I got a Berlin card, which gave me access to transit and some museums.
Old May 27th, 2009, 11:43 AM

I love Berlin. Edgy in areas, so chock full of history and maybe special for me as I was there as a student in 1974 when the wall was in full operation. It is something I will never forget.
Old May 28th, 2009, 06:23 PM

I guess I have to put in another vote for Munich. It is a great town - good size, tons to see and do, and a wonderful introduction to German life and culture...but it is Bavaria, not Germany!

This is from someone who lived in Stuttgart for 2.5 years and never made it to Berlin...but I am not a big city person. I would have to say my favorite area of Germany is the Mosel Valley.
Old May 28th, 2009, 08:38 PM

It would depend upon my friend. If they were into great modern architecture, interesting history, museums and had a sense a lively sense of adventure; Berlin. Making sure they didn't miss the Jewish Museum.

If they wanted a beautiful city, super friendly people, lovely history and beautiful day trips; Munich.

For modern art and architecture I'd offer to go with them to Stuttgart to the Staatgalerie and Mercedes Benz Musuem. It's a nice little city. After that we could loop through the country side and for some fresh air.

Any where in Germany would be fine with me.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Your Privacy Choices -