Reload this Page >

Favorite Beach Towns in England

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 9th, 2001, 09:42 AM
Robin

Hello:<BR><BR>Planning a cycling trip to Scotland then take the train to a coastal town,village in England for a few days rest before going back to London. I would be interested in your experiences with coastal towns that are interesting but not too touristy. Thanks.<BR><BR>Robin

Old Nov 9th, 2001, 10:15 AM
JM

Linton/Lynmouth in Devon. Linton is on top of the hill Lynmouth is at the bottom. Really scenic - no beach to speak of but great coastal scenery. Absolutely fantastic walks. When we were there the only tourists were British. - we encountered no other North Americans. If you want more info - let me know and I will email you.

Old Nov 9th, 2001, 10:41 AM
Maribel

Robin,<BR>We loved meandering around the Roseland penninsula in Cornall-such pretty scenery. Very restful, if you want to travel down that far. Stayed at the Boscundle Manor outside St. Austell, not on the coast but served as a good base. St. Mawes is delightful and the Tresanton Hotel really pretty, but outside our budget. Lots of lovely B&B's in that area that we had on our list, like the Nanscawen House in St. Blazey and the Crugsillick and the Hundred House in Ruan High Lanes.

Old Nov 9th, 2001, 11:01 AM
Lindsey

A convenient, and beautiful, place to break your journey back to London would be Whitby, on the North Yorkshire coast. The town has an ancient ruined abbey on a cliff - you can see why it's the fictional landing place of Dracula! the surrounding area including Robin Hood's Bay is breathtakingly beautiful - rugged cliffs and deserted beaches, with lots of lovely country pubs. It's not as 'chocolate-boxy' as the southwest of England - Devon and Cornwall - but it's a bewitching area.<BR><BR>Enjoy your trip.

Old Nov 9th, 2001, 11:31 AM
Patrick

I too was about to recommend Robin Hood's Bay since it would be more on your way back to London from Scotland. It is indeed an enchanting little place. What was the movie I made a point of seeing a couple of years ago because it was shot there? Whitby is near by, but seemed extremely busy and touristy to me. And when the tide is out, that little fishing port was the worst smelling place I've ever been.

Old Nov 9th, 2001, 05:00 PM
bettyk

Would also have to vote for Whitby and Robin Hood's Bay. Almost 20 years since I was there but I remember it like yesterday. Such a pretty area.

Old Nov 9th, 2001, 05:16 PM
kam

Another vote for Whitby and Robin Hood's Bay! We were there last September on our way up to Edinburgh from the London area.

Old Nov 10th, 2001, 12:59 AM
sylvia

Yes, Whitby and Robin Hood's Bay.<BR>Nearer to London, Southwold in Suffolk. It is a charming little town and quite unspoiled. It is home to many media types which makes it very expensive to buy houses them. The advantage is that they fight tooth and nail to keep it nice. Recently McDonalds tried to get into the town and all hell broke out.<BR>There is a fine common and if you like to walk, you can walk to another nice little village called Walberswick.<BR>Southwold is home to the Adman's brewery. If you are into "real ale" they are supposed to brew some of the best in the country.<BR>Whoops, you won't get there by train because it doesn't have a station, but there is a bus.

Old Nov 10th, 2001, 11:59 AM
anne Sherrod

Robin,<BR>Whitby is my vote too! It has crooked little streets w/ lovely old pubs.<BR>I have a suggestion for a hotel -<BR>The White horse & Griffin on Church St. - It is 500 years old, the floors are slanted, etc.. It has a wonderful restaurant at the bottom that has made the English magazines. The hotel is not 4star by any means or real elegant , but we enjoyed it .

Old Nov 10th, 2001, 02:17 PM
Gayle

I too, loved Hotel Tresanton at St. Mawes. It was outside my budget too, but the memories were worth it. Fowey was also pretty, but larger and more touristy, Fun place if you're a duMaurier fan.