Farmaceutica di Santa Maria Novella

Apr 20th, 2002, 03:32 PM
Christine

Farmaceutica di Santa Maria Novella

Does anyone know if the Farmaceutica di SMN shuts down for holidays during the month of August? If so, what part of the month? I checked their website but found no information. How about the shop in Rome?

Apr 20th, 2002, 06:19 PM
John G

Christine, you are very lucky that I, John G, visit this board and also am a member of the Cult of the Famaceutica Officina Profumo di Santa Maria Novella. I am a Keeper of the List and I will let you have the the telephone number of the shop in Firenze (055/2302883)Fax:055/288658

When you visited the website did you notice that you can send them an email? You can email them in English and they will reply.

The Famaceutica is supposedly closed during certain hours of the day, certain days during the week, and certain days a year. But, it is my experience that they are open all year long from 10-5. I have been to the shop many times when it was supposed to have been closed. I highly doubt they will be closed during the heavy tourist season when they do alot of business. But, please call/email/fax.

If you can't get through, please let me know and I will give you the phone number of Drusilla, who is the manager of the shop in London. She can be a little frightening, but she is very devoted, and will be more than willing to serve you.

If you need to buy products from SMN in the US, please email me and I will give you the name and private phone number of a shop in New York City that sells the entire line. Unfortunately, the prices are much more expensive than what you would pay in Firenze.

Welcome to the Cult of the Farmaceutica Officina Profumo di Santa Maria Novella.

Apr 21st, 2002, 07:12 AM
xxx

no big secret, John G-- SMN products are sold in NYC at Lafco, on Hudson street. Yes, they are certainly more expensive (not that I found SMN itself to be all that cheap--though I did treat myself to a few items)and of course you really have to go to see the building itself (in Florence that is)--worth it just to see the old apothecary room even if you don't buy anything

Apr 21st, 2002, 01:26 PM
Aficianada

I thought Barney's carried most of the Sta. Maria Novella line.

Apr 21st, 2002, 02:29 PM
cherie

OK I keep hearing how great their stuff is What do you really like???? How expensive is it in Florence? I'm going in June but I don't know what is good. Could I have some examples - please????

Apr 21st, 2002, 03:08 PM
x

perfumed bars of soap, about $6 US each...

Apr 21st, 2002, 04:14 PM
Robyn France

What fragrance is the best?

Apr 21st, 2002, 07:54 PM
anon

Not at Barney's...Takishamya is the only other place in NY that I know of...been carried there for years.

Apr 21st, 2002, 08:28 PM
John G

Takashamaya on 5th Ave. DOES NOT carry products from FOP SMN. The only other place, besides LAFCO (which carries the entire line), that carries "a few" products is Saks. The selection is extremely limited--pot-pourri, some cologne, bath foam, and face powder. Saks only started carrying these products in the last few months, attributed to the movie, "Hannibal," which made the products so popular. This is much to the chagrin of the members of the cult.

Apr 21st, 2002, 09:08 PM
Aficianada

I don't know, John, I sure remember now seeing a huge array of SMN products at Takishamya a few years ago. (thank you anon).
Cherie, what I like are their many floral fragrances - really different. I also love one of their candles. They had two fragrances - Iris, which I didn't like, and the other was, I think, Pomegranite. It smelled kind of like church incense and is very calming. I remember I paid $14.00 for it in Paris, and it was huge and lasted forever. I confess that when I'm spending lira or francs, I don't remember prices that well. I'm leaving soon for France and don't know if dealing with euros will be any different.
I wonder if, now that Saks is starting to carry some of the products, that they will lose some of their luster. It's always nicer to have something that everyone else isn't wearing.

Apr 21st, 2002, 09:26 PM
chris

Cherie,

I was curious myself, so last month I visited SMN for the first time and chose a few products. The cuticle cream is FABULOUS (the only such product that actually works for me)! I Haven't tried the body lotion or the soaps yet. I Wish I would have bought more now...

Apr 22nd, 2002, 08:51 AM
Bev

How about the shop in Rome? Where is it located?

Apr 22nd, 2002, 10:48 AM
John G

The shop in Rome is at Corso del Rinascimento, 47. The telephone: 066879608 Fax:066879472.

I think Takashamaya featured some floral colognes from SMN that coinsided with the orchids that they sell. Im almost positive this was just a short-lived venture.

The manager of LAFCO assures me that they, up until Saks started carrying the line, were the only official distributor of products from FOP SMN in the US.

Apr 22nd, 2002, 06:04 PM
Christine

Thanks for your reply John. I guess I will call SMN about their summer hours and hope for the best. I had not given any thought to the shop being closed, but recently came across a trip report where someone was in Florence (August 7) and went to SMN to only find they were "closed for holidays".
Florence is not supposed to be on our itinerary this year but have been lately thinking that I could "squeeze" it in. I missed SMN on my last trip and would really love to check it out. I'm leaving Verona in the morning and don't really have to be in Arezzo until evening, so Florence is possible.
Thanks for the offer for the New York number but I'm in Toronto and the last thing I want to do is pay US dollars and duty. (Maybe after I try some of the products I'll be willing to pay).
I know it's subjective but what are your favourite products?

Apr 22nd, 2002, 06:11 PM
Mary

Christine,

I went to the shop in Florence in June, 2000. The foot cream is absolutely amazing - best I've ever tried. Smells a bit like almonds and will leave your feet noticeable softer after using it just once. You can pick up a list of all their products at the store and order them on-line. I recommended it to a client who was going a month later and they brought me back the product list.

Apr 22nd, 2002, 07:22 PM
John G

Christine, there is a shop in Milan, Lucca, Forte dei Marmi, Bologna, Livorno, Venice, and Castiglione della Pescaia. Will you be near any of these cities? If you are, email me and I will give you the phone numbers and addresses.

My favorite products are: Idrasol cream, Russian Cologne soap, Sandalwood soap, Vetiver soap, pot-pourri, Pomengranate candle, ceramic soap dish, Santa Maria Novella cologne, Vetiver cologne, Water of Cuba cologne, lavander shampoo, and Camomile bath foam. My mother loves the Almond paste hand cream (this is probably their most famous product after pot-pourri).

Apr 22nd, 2002, 08:07 PM
anon

For the record, Takashimaya has carried the SMN products for at least 5-6 years and continue to do so today. I was referred there while making my first visit to the mother ship in 97 or 98 and it was not something "new" at the time. Lafco jumped in maybe 2 years ago max. Didn't know about Saks, but assume that is but a smattering of products.

Apr 22nd, 2002, 08:24 PM
Uncle Sam

Their shaving cream is incredible, particularly if you have a heavy beard.

Jun 26th, 2004, 07:23 PM

I am now feeling that our entire trip to Forte Dei Marmi this summer will be justified by the presence of F di SMN!! My girls and I will love it, I am sure!
Jun 26th, 2004, 07:51 PM

Here in Boston, if you are in the Area, you will find some of the line At Louis. We also have a saks.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO