Fares to England in April?

Jan 14th, 2004, 06:50 AM
Original Poster

Fares to England in April?

Has anybody found a decent fair to England in April? I have been watching for months and can't find anything less than $603 per person through British Airways. I'm flying out of Dallas and because I have certain restrictions when it comes to dates, I can't fly out or return on weekdays. Is this going to sink my hopes of finding a fair under $500? Does anyone know if the fares tend to fall before then or should I just buy my tickets now at $603?
Jan 14th, 2004, 07:22 AM
ira

Hi Elizabeth,

The problem is, will you be more disappointed if you find that you could have paid $100 less, or if you find that you have to pay $100 more.

http://airtravelcenter.com/onetrav.htm has *nonstop* flights on
ba for $630 returning on a Saturday.
Jan 14th, 2004, 08:00 AM

The no week days may be hurting you. Have you tried both days on the weekends?

I found $502 to England in April, on the flights I wanted, from Kansas City. For a city with no direct flights to Europe, I thought that was pretty good.

My tickets are for American Airlines, but there were similar rates for US Air and Delta and even lower from United.

Keith
Jan 14th, 2004, 08:07 AM

I think if you fly out before the last day of March, and return anytime in April, the fares will be much lower.
Jan 14th, 2004, 08:11 AM
JonJon

The fares out of Dallas are unique to the amount of competition in the DFW-LHR market so cannot be "compared" realistically with fares from MCI (Kansas City) or anywhere else..as a general guideline yes, but ultimately are you willing to wait and hope for a lower fare? Certain weekdays (excluding Fridays0 have traditionally been cheaper to fly on because there was a decrease in business-driven traffic on those days which is the reason Fridays have traditionally been excluded as all those "business suits" come home from sales trips, etc., so not as much need to discount.

Frankly, you should be asking this question to a bona fide travel agent who probably has a much greater senes of the history of the fares from your area....that is, if you can find one who isn't anxious to sell you a ticket at all costs and will wait, if necessary, along with you.
Good luck.

Jan 14th, 2004, 08:16 AM

I checked for you on the BA website. Leaving Sun. 4/4 returning Sun. 4/11 the fare is $583.20. Sounds like the same fare you have perhaps w/o a Travelocity fee? I'd CALL BA today. I think this fare may only be available if purchased by 1/16. You should find out.
Jan 14th, 2004, 08:20 AM
rex

Might be worth your time to seek input from a posting on the Cheap Flights forum of eurotrip.com

Best wishes,

Rex
Jan 14th, 2004, 08:55 AM

Hello!

I am also going to England in late April. April 21-May 13. I booked my flights about two months ago (on Virgin, although I know you are talking about BA). I bought from their site, I never go through a third party because they tend to tack on extra fees! I checked two to three times DAILY on thier website (I know a little obsessive, but hey it worked ) I got tickets for $353 including taxes and now all I see is around $600+ with taxes on the site. Right after I purchased the tickets I went back on and see the "regular" price back up.

So, personally I think its all about timing, I just happened to be in the right place at the right time and saved about mucho bucks for the three of us!

BTW I am flying from Orlando to London
Jan 14th, 2004, 09:08 AM

Too bad you didn't start shopping for fares back in November when BA had their big sale - I lucked out then and got tickets to London for $298 (which includes all taxes). We leave from L.A. on March 30 and return April 19. I doubt prices will be going down any now since most travelers will be shopping now for trips that will take place during the high season.
Jan 14th, 2004, 09:14 AM

Daisy54's point is a good one. BA had such an amazing sale last fall and sold so many tickets they probably don't need to offer many bargains. Unless the security scares return and cut back on business travel dramatically, there may not be many bargain fares offered any time soon.
Jan 14th, 2004, 10:06 AM

Has anyone used air consolidators? I've been looking for tickets to London at the beginning of June from Indianapolis and have found fares for adults at about $498 (including taxes) and $398 for children. I know there are restrictions on these tickets but it seems that if you are ready to lock into dates, the rates are good.

Steve
Jan 14th, 2004, 10:40 AM

I'm traveling from Houston to London in May and got in on the Novmeber fare war sales started by BA. We're flying on American for $467. After the sale, prices went back up well over $600. I really wasn't ready to buy my tickets in November, but I sure wasn't about to miss that sale! You have to continuously monitor fares and be ready to strike when the make a move downward.
Jan 14th, 2004, 02:15 PM

Flew to London from Des Moines on April 20,03. Spent 1 week in London and the following three weeks traveling Ireland and Scotland. As the Scotland and Ireland portions were going to be spent in B&Bs and completely on our own, we decided to do a bit of a splurge in London, especially since this was probably the only time we would be over there.

Purchased 6 night london package through Globus.Included flight on British Airways,a beautiful room at the Royal Horseguards with an all-marble bathroom overlooking the flower-filled garden, Heathrow shuttle to hotel, huge English breakfast, 1/2 day London tour with excellent local guide, one day tube pass, and London Eye. Not inexpensive at $1,200(including taxes) per person, but we thought we got great value for the money. The Royal Horseguards is on a very quiet side street and has a pleasant lobby with concierge and doorman, a nice small lounge, and a sunny restaurant where breakfast was served. Very convenient to most things and close to the Tube just a block from Embankment Station. This was the most expensive hotel offered, but there was a large selection in all price ranges and neighborhoods.