Reload this Page >

Fantastic Flat in Edinburgh

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 22nd, 2001, 10:21 AM
Kristen

I just returned from a week-long trip to Edinburgh, Scotland, and stayed in the most wonderful (and cheap!) flat. This one bedroom flat was the same cost as a double room in a hostel, yet it had tons of amenities - washer/drier, dishwasher, electric shower, etc. Location was ideal - right off the Royal Mile and within walking distance to everything...we never once needed public transportation. If you're looking to travel to Edinburgh any time soon, I would highly recommend this flat - I would never think of staying anywhere else. <BR> <BR>http://www.aboutscotland.com/edin/7stmarys.html

Old Mar 22nd, 2001, 11:19 AM
Judy

Kristen: That is a lovely(not so) little flat! 500gbp a week is very good for that location! I bet it is booked when we want to go Aug. 9(Festival). How many were there in your party? Also, we are only staying 5 nites in Edinburgh,not a full week(wish it could be more). Thanks for the tip. It is a great one! Judy

Old Mar 22nd, 2001, 04:26 PM
Ann

Kristen, <BR>I will be going to Edinburgh soon. What do you recommend seeing? Also, are there any pubs or restaurants you would recommend? <BR>Thanks!

Old Mar 22nd, 2001, 05:16 PM
amik

Let me add another option, a real beautiful B&B we stayed in this past summer. It's just south of down town, a 4-star place for the price of a 3-star, clean, modern, very pleasant and comfortable. <BR>Check out their web site, which I think does NOT do justice to the place. <BR>www.laudervilleguesthouse.co.uk <BR>Amik.

Old Mar 23rd, 2001, 11:27 AM
Kristen

Judy: The price is extremely reasonable. We were there off-season, so for 6 nights, it was only 240GBP! What a deal! Festival may be booked, but do try to contact Janet Cumming via the email link from the web link in my original posting. I know that she has already had several cancellations for May due to foot and mouth, so it may be that others cancel for August, as well. Good luck! The flat was immaculate and better stocked than my apartment - absolutely fantastic.

Old Mar 23rd, 2001, 11:33 AM
Kristen

Ann: There is so much to see and do in Edinburgh. We were there for 6 nights, but took two day trips through Rabbies (on Royal Mile). I don't know that I would do another Rabbies tour - too much time on the bus, and one of our tourguides was not much of a talker so we didn't get a nice history of the things we were seeing. In Edinburgh, do be sure to see the Castle - we spent 3 hours there during the day, but I probably could have spent more time. If the weather is nice, try hiking Arthur's Seat. My boyfriend and I made a real "pub tour" out of our trip and used a pub book as our map/travel planner (called "Edinburgh and Leith Pub Guide" from bn.com - price is $8.95). The book was terrific - compact enough to fit in a coat pocket and with great street maps. Our favorite pubs were The Bow Bar (Victoria Street) - I think about 8 real beers on tap (hand-pulled) which are changed every 9 gallons...go in the a.m. and you'll be sure to have at least 2 different beers in the p.m. My other favorite was The Cloisters - about a 20 minute walk from the Royal Mile and very excellent...can't remember the street though. We mostly ate in Pubs - The World's End and The Last Drop were my favorite for food - though we did eat at a *great* vegetarian restaurant called Susie's Diner (near the University). Have a great trip - I can't wait to go back!