Fanny Packs?

Old Sep 13th, 2003, 03:29 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fanny Packs?

When did it become a cardinal sin/ felony to wear a fanny pack?
Old Sep 13th, 2003, 03:42 AM
Degas

I think it all started on 13 Oct 1999 in Paris when the elastic expandable strap on my king-sized, red, white and blue fanny pack with blinking orange and yellow neon lights snapped. The whole thing went flying and crashed through a stained glass windows in Sainte Chapelle. I lost my lunch, a laptop computer, three baseball caps, and dolly parton figurerine and a large stash of pork rinds.

Old Sep 13th, 2003, 03:44 AM
AR

I always laugh at the words - fanny pack!! If you ever visit the UK, please please don't say the word fanny in public.
Old Sep 13th, 2003, 04:14 AM
Degas

AR, or if you wanted to act coy, you could say it and act innocent, like you didn't know what the slang meaning is in the UK.

Old Sep 13th, 2003, 04:20 AM

Being from the US I think "bum bag" sounds silly. Since a "bum" is also a hobo it makes me think of those cartoon characters from the 30's with all their worldly possessions tied in a large cloth hanging from a stick over their shoulders.

Degas, what in the world were you doing with your Dolly Parton bobblehead figurine in France? Good Lord man, you should have left her glued to the dashboard of your '68 Camaro where she belonged.
Old Sep 13th, 2003, 04:21 AM

Oh my god, Degas! That was you? I was standing in line behind you and got hit with some of those greasy pork rinds. And Dolly Parton left a mark on my right cheek.
Old Sep 13th, 2003, 04:29 AM

So that's where you got that cute little double dimple, Patrick .
Old Sep 13th, 2003, 04:51 AM
Degas

patrick, sorry about the collateral damage, but can you imagine the intense torment I had to endure on a six day stay without pork rinds?

The snippy little french police also failed to "feel my pain" and had the nerve to fill out an incident report with the cultural ministry.

I made an offer later to replace the window with some fancy stuff I found at a shop at Six Flags over Georgia, but never heard back from them. However, I was stripped searched at customs on my next visit to Paris, but that's another story.

Old Sep 13th, 2003, 05:55 AM

Degas,

Being a "Southern" woman (and a plus size one to boot), I FEEL your pain!

(Make sure you prononce that last part, "eye feeeeeeeel yur paaaaaaaain!" and in doing so you would git the "axcent" just about right).

But to put this in perspective, there will always be a plentiful supply of pork rinds...but that dolly pardon figurine was probably a priceless artifact in france....

As to the window...Weeeeeeeeelll, glass can be glued or taped...dolly, if it was true to perspective...I just don't know(double sigh!)

Patrick, count yourself lucky...to be marked by dolly in church...well that's just about as close to being kissed by angels...as...well I just don't know. (triple sigh).

the stories we savior about our travels! (sigh again!)

Old Sep 13th, 2003, 06:14 AM
Degas

erinb, the dolly parton figurine was very dear to me as I won it at a tri-county Turkey shoot with a 12 gauge my grandaddy used back in the North Georgia moonshine wars.

Dolly reminds me of the "little wife" and my life has not been the same since this tragic incident.

As you so rightly pointed out, mere stained glass (and old at that) can be easily mended or replace, but my colorful plastic treasure is gone forever.

Still, I wander the flea market on each Paris trip, hoping that by some miracle I will find it again. A man has to have some small ray of hope to endure such bitter sorrow.

Old Sep 13th, 2003, 06:44 AM

degas,

This is just soooooo heartbreaking....dare I ask if you and "wife" are still together?? (Don't think I didn't catch that "reminds me of wife" statement, which means you like women of "substance"???? Not many men left in this world like you, most like their women to look like spiders, you know wispy mean and thin, comes from all that denial!)

Unless of course the dolly figurine was post surgury! (which of course would make it just "dog" ugly and I have no sympathy for you!)

As to the 12 gauge, I currently have one sitting right next to my backdoor toilet...in case someone tried to break in my house (I live on a farm). I mean it wouldn't do to have no protection in a situation like that.

I follow my granny's footsteps or path when it comes to home defense...the shotgun, the pistol in the nightstand and of course one doesn't go to sleep without the ice pick under the pillow. I feel as safe and snug as a bug in a rug!

As to North Georgia and moonshine...well I have to say that your grandpappy and mine may have swapped spit so to speak...although mine lived in North Carolina....when they timbered the back woods a few years ago, they found 2 old stills...I think there was some talk about "the smithsonian"....I can't remember the details.

Well, degas, a man has to have hope...it gets us through these terrible terrible bad spots. Of course, there is always dollywood...oh, did I tell you that my sister lived in pigeon forge for 14 years and still has all those connections...s'truth! I'll call her and see if she knows a friend of a friend.
Old Sep 13th, 2003, 11:00 AM
Degas

erinb, a woman should have some meat on her bones, something a man can grab hold of during exciting times and also be heavy enough so she don't blow away when a tornado dips down into the hollow.

I felt a chill when I heard about the ice pick under your pillow. Could be a double-edged sword. Fine for poking holes in intruders, but some suitors might find the thought of it adveresly impacting thier manly proformance, if you catch my drift!

And the "little wife" is still with me. In fact, I think I hear her nagging about the stove being out of wood. I gots some chopping to do before the ball game comes on!

Old Sep 13th, 2003, 06:02 PM

degas,

You are a hoot...by the way did you ever read my post about "grandpappy pepper's" advise to new grooms....

hit the search and read if if you get a chance...it talks about that woodpile.

Now as to the ice pick and the pillow...weelllllll let's just saaayy that it doesn't hurt and sometimes it even helps to act as an exciting incentive, if you know what I mean!
Old Sep 13th, 2003, 09:18 PM

Degas

AW! Good to read your stories once again! The good old fanny pack has stoked your inspirational fires once again.