FAMILY TRIP TO SPAIN

Search

FAMILY TRIP TO SPAIN

Search this Thread

Old Mar 21st, 2007, 07:37 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
FAMILY TRIP TO SPAIN

Our family (6 adults and 2 teens) are going to Spain in June this summer - one week in Barcelona and one week in Madrid. We already have air and apartments rented in both cities. We need suggestions for day trips out of each city. Will travel by train or bus, no rental car. Also need information for train between the cities. Some family members would like to go to beach from Barcelona for day, if possible.
Old Mar 21st, 2007, 10:36 PM

Hi

From Madrid it's easy to do day trips to Toledo, Avila, Segovia, Aranjuez and El Escorial.
Old Mar 22nd, 2007, 02:00 AM

Why not get a guidebook - that's what they exist for. Or check the web.

Train timetables are available there - it really isn't too hard. I can't remember the name of the state train system though I have taken it many time - I just go to Google and try.

You can too.

Day trips from Madrid - Toledo is the obvious one. But do you really want to be a day tripper? You'll see the place between 10 and 4 (I assume) along with thousands of others.

But that's OK - you'll get your photos.
Why the hell not go and stay overmight? That way you will see if in a completely different light.

Forgive the abrasiveness - but I do sometimes wonder whether you people have the faintest idea. You have an apartment in Madrid so you must clearly return to it every night.

Has it ever occurred to you that on a trip you might never make again, it might be worth paying twice for a place to stay?

You can get a perfectly good place to stay in Toledo for under 50 Eur double.

I know I am being contentious - but I just don't understand how you folk can't just busk it once in a while.
Old Mar 22nd, 2007, 02:16 AM
sjj

Girona is near Barcelona. I haven't been there, but people I know recommend it. Also, I think there's a Salvador Dali museum close to Barcelona.
In contrast to another poster, I found Toledo only mildly interesting. It's worth a day trip, but not any more. I'm pretty sure you can get there by train from the Atocha station.
Old Mar 22nd, 2007, 03:40 AM

I recommend you two trips from Madrid:

*To Segovia: Roman aqueduct, Alcázar (castle), cathedral and more.
Scheduled buses:
www.lasepulvedana.es

*To Salamanca: Plateresque architecture, old university, cathedral, high square and more.
Scheduled buses:
www.auto-res.net
Old Mar 22nd, 2007, 03:48 AM

Check out these sites:
www.turismodesegovia.com
www.salamanca.es
www.spain.info/TourSpain
Old Mar 22nd, 2007, 04:42 AM

One huge surprise to me when I was in Spain last year is that you can go to the beach IN Barcelona. The whole waterfront area is very nice, I understand it was spruced up 10-15 years ago. You can rent beach chairs and enjoy the ocean. Ask at your hotel which to go to. As I remember there are about 5 beaches in a row which get less crowded as you move away from the central city. Someone suggested that if we wanted a really good swimming beach to take a cab and go a bit farther out but still very close to the city. Sorry I can't remember any names. Perhaps someone else on the board will.
I didn't swim, I had to stand sentry with the bags but my husband said the water was nice if a bit chilly (at end of May and we are used to cold water). He also enjoyed the view of the ocean and topless women nearby.
Old Mar 22nd, 2007, 04:44 AM

I know I am going to sound contentious too, but I have stopped answering to posts like this:
" I am going to Madrid and Barcelona: what should I do there" and the like. It is too broad and also denotes a lack of desire to do the simplest of research.

Old Mar 22nd, 2007, 04:58 AM
clz

Montserrat would be a good day trip from Barcelona. It's a really nice spot and there are hiking trails through the woods. Although you're thinking day trip, you can stay the night. Sunrise/sunsets are beautiful from there.
Old Mar 22nd, 2007, 05:24 AM

If you look at my trip report (Missypie's Trip to Barcelona with Kids), I describe our trip to Montserrat in detail.