Search

Family trip to Europe

Search this Thread

Old Sep 13th, 2017, 04:57 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Family trip to Europe

Dear All
We're a family of four. My wife , me and two daughters of 19 and 9. Planning to visit Europe in the summer 2018. We have a vacation for two weeks. My initial thought is Budapest - Vienna - Prague - Berlin. Is there any other suggestions to visit multiple cities in two weeks ? Should we take euro rail or rent a car to drive myself. As no idea about driving in Europe, will try to avoid that. We're very flexible with countries and cities. But we already travelled UK, Greece, Italy, Spain, Portugal, Italy, France, so will try to avoid the western Europe, but still missing Switzerland, Austria and in the north-Sweden, Norway, Denmark Iceland etc. Please help us with a good itinerary for two weeks trip.
Old Sep 13th, 2017, 05:16 AM

I have experience driving in Europe, but not in the parts in your itinerary. Also have limited experience with Berlin, so won't address that part.

Just off the top of my head, I don't see why you would want a car when your main destinations are cities where a car would be more of a hindrance than a help, unless you're planning to stop in small towns, which would make your itinerary a but cramped.

I'd go by rail. For a slightly different experience, there are boat tours to each city on the Danube

Budapest, Vienna and Prague seem like great choices to me. When you add Berlin, that's 4 cities in 14 days. Subtract a couple of days for travel to and from different points, and you have about three days in each city. That seems reasonable.
Old Sep 13th, 2017, 05:23 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for your input. I totally agree with you. Probably, it will be better to stay with the euro rail as no idea about the driving in Europe. Regarding Berlin, should I choose another German city as I went to Berlin several times in the past myself ( not with family ) ? Also, can you give me some links where I get some good advices regarding accommodation, tourist sites etc.
Old Sep 13th, 2017, 05:29 AM

I agree with vincenzo32951 about driving. We do drive on our independent trips but not where we'll stay in cities, a car is a hinderance as far as parking (very limited & expensive) and unnecessary. Love the cities you plan to visit but yes, factor in the time to get to each, you may choose to cut out one city or maybe you're happy with shorter visits. Also, look at doing a multi city air booking, arrive in one city and home from your last destination, it'll save lots of time backtracking to your original city. Whichever you decide, have fun planning and enjoy your travels.
Old Sep 13th, 2017, 05:58 AM
Original Poster

Thanks wunderbar2. I always find it interesting to plan myself for our trip. Yes, I will do as return from the last city I will visit. I will use euro rail for my travel from one city to another. Regarding dropping one of the cities, I may consider it as it will save my travel time and will be able to spend more in other cities.
Old Sep 13th, 2017, 06:00 AM

For train travel, check out the Man in Seat 61 website. Everything you need to know about traveling by train in Europe. There is no such thing as "euro rail." Every country has its own national railway (though of course you can book journeys between countries). For long-distance train trips, there is often a significant monetary advantage to booking well in advance. Keep the luggage light - you'll be on your own to haul the bags up and down train stairs and get it stored away quickly. Trains don't stop for a long time, so know where you're going and when to get ready to get off.

Every city and town in Europe has a comprehensive website where you can get detailed information on what to do, where to stay, etc. Start by checking those out, then read a few guidebooks on the cities you choose and study maps and transportation systems so you know how to get around when you get there.
Old Sep 13th, 2017, 06:17 AM
Original Poster

Thanks wunderbar2. I always find it interesting to plan myself for our trip. Yes, I will do as return from the last city I will visit. I will use euro rail for my travel from one city to another. Regarding dropping one of the cities, I may consider it as it will save my travel time and will be able to spend more in other cities.
Old Sep 13th, 2017, 06:23 AM

Should we take euro rail or rent a car to drive myself. As no idea about driving in Europe, will try to avoid that.>

Yes for going largely to main cities take the train - trains are wonderful and cars and cities don't mix. Yes www.seat61.com is a great resource on planning your own rail trip and I also like www.budgeteuropetravel.com and www.ricksteves.com for that.
Old Sep 13th, 2017, 12:40 PM

I think you are thinking of Eurail - which is a train pass to allow for maximum flexibility in hopping on and off trains. It is good when you have no fixed plans but not necessary or even sensible if you are planning a trip as you are. You should price out your trip with point to point tickets purchased three months in advance (the maximum, with good discounts), as usually this is cheaper than buying an expensive Eurail pass. Check your trip (Europe wide) on www.bahn.com , the website of the German railway system.

Lavandula
Old Sep 13th, 2017, 01:49 PM

Check your trip (Europe wide) on www.bahn.com , the website of the German railway system.>

They only give fares for trains involving Germany however - you should check the countries you are visiting each their own national rail system site for fares and especially discounted tickets that yes negate any flexibility - being usually valid on a specific train at a specific time on a specific date and non-refundable non-changeable generally. But yes for a two-week trip usually a better deal if you know your trip plans exactly as most do.

There are lots of railpasses though - if doing Prague, Vienna, Budapest, Poland you would consider the much cheaper European East Railpass (way cheaper than Eurailpasses) but generally discounted 2nd class tickets are the cheapest -Eurails if over 28 are automatically first class so that has its perks too over 2nd class of course but discounted tickets usually also come in 1st class, sometimes at not much more than cheapest available 2nd class tickets- but often a lot more. So when figuring Eurail vs discounted tickets keep in mind if over 28 that pass will give first-class transportation and still in most countries let you just show up at station and hop on (Italy, France and Spain notable exceptions where you must get a mandated seat reservation first using a pass- negating the neat aspect of just showing up at stations and boarding next train.

But for two weeks unless a train zombie a Eurail Pass would be hard to be cost effective. Country passes especially Swiss Pass may well be though. So it depends on that too.

You need to get a firm itinerary before even thinking of a pass.