Reload this Page >

Family reservations in Germany

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 24th, 2002, 05:00 PM
Belle

We are a party of 6 (4 adults and 2 children) going to Switzerland and Germany later this year. We will be flying into Zurich and have hotel reservations there for 1 night and then pick up our rental van to tour both countries. Do you think it is necessary to reserve a hotel for every night or take our chances at the different town tourist offices? Thanks for any info!

Old Jul 24th, 2002, 06:42 PM
Betsy

Belle, it may depend somewhat on when you're going and how adventurous you are. I might not try this with six people at the height of the tourist season, but it you're going in late September or October you may be OK. Secure your accommodation early in the day. Ask the tourist office to direct you to a "zimmer frei," which is an accommodation in a private home. My family of three have enjoyed staying in them several times.

Old Jul 24th, 2002, 10:47 PM
Harzer

Hi Belle!<BR><BR>I agree entirely with Betsy. Even in the tourist season it is quite safe to apply your plan provided you avoid staying in the hot-spots. That is to say, to take one example, by all means see Ettal and Oberammergau, but stay overnight in Farchant or Oberau or Eschenlohe. <BR><BR>travelling in such a large party may mean a degree of preparedness to have to take accommodation in two different places form time to time.<BR><BR>Harzer

Old Jul 25th, 2002, 05:24 AM
Russ

There is always a certain amount of vacation time you waste by hunting down a room, time that becomes more precious as the days become shorter. I generally prefer to do my room hunting in advance, especially if I have a group of people along. I pre-booked our 5-member family vacation entirely when we traveled through Germany in March this year, not because I couldn't have found a place to stay, but because it maximized our vacation time (and minimized the advice I would undoubtedly have received from my back-seat mother-in-law, bless her opinionated little soul.) Still, you shouldn't have all that much trouble finding somewhere if you prefer to hunt down places as you go. <BR><BR>Few rooms accommodate more than 3 per room - it could be tricky to find a room for four if the two kids are staying with two adults. I'd reserve for sure if this is the case.<BR><BR>Also, don't wander casually into Munich during Oktoberfest (late Sept.) as rooms there are booked up months in advance.<BR><BR>Enjoy your trip.<BR><BR>Russ

Old Jul 25th, 2002, 05:45 AM
Caroline

I guess I'm on the conservative side: I always want to know that I've got a hotel room guaranteed. Therefore, I always make reservations in advance regardless of the time of year or season I'm visiting. Plus you've got six people in your party which means you need to occupy two rooms I would assume. Because of this I'd think it would be even more hard to secure two rooms on the spot than just one. As mentioned above, would making advanced reservations outweigh the time you'll be wasting at a tourist office to look for rooms when you arrive?<BR><BR>Again this is only my opinion but making reservations at home:<BR><BR>1) Saves you time as you're going to have to decide what hotel you want when you arrive-you may not get a good choice also.<BR><BR>2) Guarantees that you have a room. If you do need to amend your schedule you can always contact the hotel and advise them beforehand.

Old Jul 25th, 2002, 07:25 PM
belle

You guys are all so helpful...thank you! I suppose I should start looking for a few places to stay!