Family hotels in Provence/Cote d'Azur

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 31st, 2004, 03:05 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Travelling in April with 10 and 13 yo kids -- looking for upscale but no extravagant hotels - ideally with rooms big enough for four or with suites. Any help greatly appreciated.
Old Jan 31st, 2004, 03:41 PM

What area are you planning to stay in? It's a large area, with many possibilities. But one initial suggestion: the very charming Le Hameau, just outside of St.-Paul-de-Vence, has a two room apartment: one large bedroom, one small, one bathroom, separate toilet. There's a nice private patio as well and a mini-fridge. The complex is like a tiny village, hence it's name, and it's set in an orchard. Prices are moderate.
Old Jan 31st, 2004, 03:42 PM

What is your destination country? There are lots of web sites but we need to know where you are going.

Thank you.
Old Feb 1st, 2004, 07:27 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for a great suggestion, Underhill!

Ideally looking for a place near Antibes and a second near Avignon, but willing to be a bit flexible for the right place.
Old Feb 1st, 2004, 08:26 AM

How about Gordes for near Avignon? There you could stay in La Ferme de la Huppe, a delightful converted farmhouse. There's a pool and a good restaurant on the premises. Rooms are decorated in rustic style, which the kids might enjoy, but everything is very comfortable.

Antibes is an expensive area. If you're willing to stay a bit further from the Med, check out the Bastide de Valbonne, which is roughly between Cannes and Grasse and an easy ride down to the coast. Valbonne itself is a charming small town and pleasant to visit. We were introduced to it by friends who live in the area and have enjoyed sightseeing in Grasse, Villauris, and Biot, all nearby; the kids might enjoy watching the glassblowers in the large studio in Biot.
Old Feb 1st, 2004, 11:17 AM
Original Poster

Many thanks for your suggestions. Can you tell me the general meaning of a "Double Room" when I go to reseve. Can I expect two double or queen beds? Thanks again!!
Old Feb 1st, 2004, 12:19 PM

A double room is a room for 2 persons. When you reserve, it's best to specify "We need a room for a couple and two children" and see what's offered. In France, queen-sized beds aren't always the norm, although it's becoming common to see two twins pushed together to make one larger bed.
Old Feb 1st, 2004, 12:27 PM

Here's a web site for Le Hameau:

http://www.hotels-de-charme.com/cont...02&lang=EN

I'm pretty sure that we had room #4, the 2-room apartment. The main room had a large bed, the other a double, I think. You could also get adjoining rooms, I imagine. There is also a stand-alone bungalow.

Another suggestion: Le Mas d'Entremont, just above Aix. Some of the rooms are large "bungalows" with plenty of space for adding beds if needed. The web site is

http://www.masdentremont.com/indexuk.htm