Suggestions needed for 7 days in southern France

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 30th, 2004, 03:18 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have 7 days to get from Barcelona to Cinque Terre by train. Having never been anywhere in Europe before, I would love some suggestions on the best way to spend these 7 days in southern France. I was thinking about basing myself for 1/2 the time in Avignon (or Aix - after reading one of the threads in this site) and the other 1/2 in Nice, and doing day trips from each base. Does that sound reasonable? (The only other part of France I will see will be Paris later in the trip, for a week).
Old Jan 30th, 2004, 04:15 AM
rex

I have done pretty much this entire stretch, once mostly by train, and once by car, and you would get a lot out of having a car, especially if you are NOT solo (train will be considerably cheaper if you are solo).

How are you getting TO Barcelona, and where going after Cinque Terre? I ask because it would be best if your car rental (if you were to decide to do that) could be all in France - - say, renting in Perpignan, and dropping in Nice.

This can be a great segment of your trip, and it's a bit off the beaten path, especially for a first time traveler to Europe.

Collioure, Sete, Montpellier, les Baux, Aix, Avignon, Orange, Arles (some of these are a bit north, out of your way), Antibes, Monaco - - they're all good. More than you can see in TWO weeks.

Best wishes,

Rex
Old Jan 30th, 2004, 09:41 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Rex. I won't be using a car because 1. I can't drive a manual, and don't think it's fair that my partner should have to drive for the whole week and 2. they drive on the other side of the road to us (from Australia). I don't want the stress of it.

However, I think now after reading your post and continuing to search through this site, I will use Nice & Avignon as the base for that week - now I just have to work out which one to spend 3 nights at and which one to spend 4. Sigh.

(Thanks also for mentioning Antibes...I hadn't heard of it and went looking for info, looks like I'll be making a day trip there now).
Old Jan 31st, 2004, 04:48 AM

melmc - you should check out my website. It describes our trip (among others) to provence. perhaps it can help you...
Below is the URL of the Provence trip:

http://www.geocities.com/Yosemite/57.../provence.html
Old Jan 31st, 2004, 04:59 AM

Steve: Your website is VERY nice and I offer my congratulations to you and Alisa for what you've done!
Old Jan 31st, 2004, 05:46 AM

Hi melmc,

Avignon is a very nice base for the inland area of southern France if you don't want to drive. We were able to travel very easily by public transportation to Arles, Les Baux, St. Remy (and Glanum), Nimes and Uzes. There are also small guided tours (2 - 6 people) and large unguided transports that depart from the Avignon tourism office to smaller towns that are not well served by regular buses. Using one of these tours, were able to sample Menerbes, Gordes and Rousillon.

I posted a logictics trip report (with train and bus schedules for the winter) here:
http://www.fodors.com/forums/pgMessa...p;tid=34405810

Can't help with the Nice part, but have heard that it is a good base for the coast. Good luck!
Old Jan 31st, 2004, 06:18 AM

re: the car

Rex is right about a car on this stretch. The driving time isn't really that long so I wouldn't consider issues of fairness. I have never been to Australia, but I am guessing that form looking at the map driving distances are as great as in Australia. This can be the same issue some of us from the US face when thinking about Europe. WE've driventhe stretch from Collioure to Nice and I don't think the drive is more than 8 hours.
Old Jan 31st, 2004, 06:30 AM

I love having a car for driving around the countryside, but I'll have to agree with melmc about forgetting the car in this case. We're not talking about a lot of time here, three or four days in Aix or Avignon and three of four in Nice. Since you'll probably want to hit some of the Provence highlights, Arles, St. Remy, Les Baux, etc. those can easily be done by train (or bus). And from Nice I think for your first visit there you'll want to see Monte Carlo, Cannes, Eze or St. Paul de Vence, etc. Again, I don't quibble with your decision to do those by train and not have to worry about entering cities, finding parking, fighting traffic, etc.

The next time you return to Provence, you might want to get a car and explore in depth. For now, I think a train will suit you well and relieve what would obviously be stress for the two of your.
Old Jan 31st, 2004, 07:45 AM

Just wanted to point out for you &amp; future readers of this thread that you <b>can</b> rent an automatic transmission. It does cost more though.

Also, for the Nice portion, I agree with Patrick that you should see at least 1 of the hill towns -perhaps Eze or St Paul de Vence &amp; you will need a bus or taxi to do this. The train runs along the coast (great views!) but for the most part-not up into the hills.
Old Feb 1st, 2004, 12:19 AM
Original Poster

Thanks to all for your feedback and useful links - I'm convinced I'm making the right choice now. Cheers, Mel.
Old Feb 1st, 2004, 08:34 AM

There is actually fairly good bus service up to St.-Paul-de-Vence.
Old Feb 1st, 2004, 11:35 AM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
In Nice be sure to eat the inexpensive Socco, and visit te Peynet, Chagall and Matisse museums, have a wonderful time.
Old Feb 1st, 2004, 01:29 PM

Melmc,

We spent a month on the Cote D' Azur last summer. We were based in Cannes, loved it all, but my favorite was Antibes. If you are a foodie ( I'm inthe business), their market is about one of the best I have seen throughout Europe. The town itself is terrific, very friendly and inviting.

I have friends in Provence and it's a contrast to the Cote which is so much fun in of itself. My friends live in Arles, a terrific little town, you should go to. Loved Avignon too.

there is lots to see, just pace yourself!

Nice is well... nice!! But I guess this just must be my husband and my preference to stay in Cannes. We loved it!! For us, we like all that glitz stuff, so we loved the history of Cannes and the film festival. Shopping on rue D' antibes was great fun for me. Despite what alot people say about Cannes being too frou-frou, I would not have stayed anywhere else on the Cote.
We went everywhere from there.
Old Feb 1st, 2004, 01:43 PM

Another don't-miss in Nice: the March&eacute; aux Fleur at the Cours Sal&eacute;ya, along with the food market. All those gorgeous spices and candied fruits!