fall trip to London and Nottingham area

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 19th, 2006, 07:20 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Our daughter will be studying this fall at the Univ. of Nottingham, and my husband and I plan to fly over to visit her. We plan to start in London and then take the train up to Nottingham. We have never visited that part of England and wonder what we might do in the area. What's accessible by train or bus? Do we need to rent a car? Are there recommended places to stay in Nottingham that are easily accessible to the university? Or is it more advisable to stay outside the city?
Old Apr 19th, 2006, 07:28 AM

http://www.enjoyengland.com/campaign...ham/about.aspx

http://www.enjoyengland.com/ideas/wh...nds/intro.aspx
Old Apr 19th, 2006, 11:57 AM

Hi,

I live about an hour from Nottingham. Its a fairly average, very student - led city, but you will be very close to the Peak District; a short drive to Chatsworth House, Bakewell, Castleton and lots of the other Peak villages. There's Sherwood Forest that has a visitor centre and so on, as well as some sort of Robin Hood centre in the city itself (I haven't been but think its called the Robin Hood Experience - its on Maid Marion Way, somewhat predictably) You will be an easy distance from York and also from Lincoln which is very pretty. I'm afraid I'm not sure about hotels but most of the major chains are in the city centre
Old May 19th, 2006, 09:45 AM

hey, i was wondering if the robin hood experience is suitable for young adults?
The website seems to show more kids.
I'm taking a trip there soon too. Thanks.
Old May 19th, 2006, 10:01 AM

If you are interested in the British amusement park experience, Alton Towers is an easy bus ride away. Nottingham has a number of nice B&Bs although I don't recall the name of the one where we stayed, but it was accross the street and slightly down the block from what is England's oldest pub which I think is named "A Trip to Olde Jerusalem" or similar. It is a place to see, not only for the historical context, but for its architecture - it is cut into the cliff, and their house ale is one of the best I've had.
Old May 22nd, 2006, 04:22 PM

I graduated from Nottingham in the mid-80’s and when my siblings and/or parents would visit from the US they stayed at The Royal Hotel as it was the only 4 star or greater hotel in the area. I too would recommend taking a pint at Ye Olde Trip to Jerusalem.

Old May 22nd, 2006, 06:22 PM

Hi Guys!

Thanks. Will definitely be checking out the olde jerusalem pub, i hear its sopposedly the oldest in the world. I actually want a robin hood experience. haha... any help there?
Old May 23rd, 2006, 03:58 AM

Coincidentally Nottingham was on the news this morning, though not for a good reason, I'm afraid - http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/n...re/5007572.stm

I wouldn't worry, though, penel - I think it was flanner who said on a previous thread that "the most dangerous city in England" is still probably less dangerous that a gated OAP community in the US
Old May 23rd, 2006, 06:00 AM

our daughter graduated from Nottingham in 2004. When we attended her graduation ceremony we stayed at Harts (they have a wonderful restaurant too) www.hartsnottingham.co.uk
I'd recommend a visit to Hardwick Hall, just a little way up the M1 motorway for an atmospheric visit to an Elizabethen House, Bolsover Castle (nearby)is also pretty impressive.