Reload this Page >

Fall Airfares/cheap hotels

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 30th, 2001, 12:05 PM
Izzy

Does anyone know if or when the airlines, specifically Delta, will be announcing Fall airfares for Europe? I'm hoping to do a quick visit to either Paris or Rome in late October. <BR><BR>Also, can anyone recommend cheap (less than $125/night) hotels or pensiones in either city? I've been to both but mostly on lower (e.g. hostel) or higher budgets, and never in the Fall.

Old Jun 30th, 2001, 02:20 PM
Paul

Paris: Check out Hotel du Cadran, Hotel du Champs du Mars and the Grand Hotel Leveque all the in 7th. I think you can find up to date prices and info on the net.

Old Jun 30th, 2001, 06:43 PM
Logan

Izzy, I can speak for American, having just bought a fall ticket; I assume Delta and the others are the same. The "shoulder season" seems to have disappeared from the airline scene. I was dismayed to find that a roundtrip coach ticket from Little Rock to every continental Europe gateway American serves was $1,200+ no matter if I flew in June, August, or late October. Yet on November 1, the price drops to $600+. <BR>So November 1 seems to be the magic date.

Old Jun 30th, 2001, 07:03 PM
YS

For Paris I recommend<BR><BR>La Tour Notre Dame (abount $100/night in the summer, $80 winter)<BR>We stayed there last December. The room was small, but clean and comfortable. It is about 1 block from the Cluny metro station, right in the Latin Quarter.<BR><BR>Also try Abotel Cluny - same area, same rates. I haven't stayed there, but my friend did and liked it.<BR><BR>Tonic Hotel Louvre - ($100-$120)<BR>Also stayed there in December, and liked it. Bigger rooms then La Tour Notre Dame. Close to Louvre, 5 minute walk from Chalet metro. Staying there again in August ($103/night).<BR><BR>All hotels are "bokeable" on-line through Expedia.<BR>

Old Jun 30th, 2001, 07:09 PM
YS

Forgot to add about the airlines:<BR><BR>I think it almost the time. IcelandAir has $638 fare (from SFO) to Paris for October-November. Delta's partner AirFrance had a few sales this year, so watch out for this as well.<BR><BR>Lastly, on the Rome hotel - for my August trip I found Caprice Hotel ($80/night). I haven't been to Rome yet, so I can't say if it is good or not... All I know it is a 3-star hotel next to Via Venetto.

Old Jun 30th, 2001, 10:20 PM
Leslie

Check the American Airlines website again. I found great fall sale fares bookable there today for Sept 8 - Oct. 31 (for example, non-stop roundtrip LA to Paris, $597.

Old Jul 1st, 2001, 12:01 AM
BTilke

Izzy,<BR>What neighborhood would you like to stay in? You've been to Paris before--would you like to stay in a less touristy neighborhood? The Auteuil section of the 16th is an upscale residential neighborhood and there are a few hotels there that offer great deals. The Queen's Hotel would be in your price range and many of the rooms come with jacuzzis--not the norm for 2 or 3 star hotel. The Villa Auteuil on the rue Poussin is a 3 star hotel with rooms for $70 a night (one of the cheapest 3 star hotels I know of). Auteuil is a little removed from the main tourist sights, but there's a metro stop right there, the 16th has its own sights (Marmottan, Guimet museums, among others) and the neighborhood is very "real" Parisian and not touristy. <BR>Closer in, I like the 3 star Hotel du Cadran and stay there often (last stay was about 6 weeks ago) but it's not under $125 a night for a double and very close to that for a single, especially if you add in tax and breakfast.<BR>BTilke

Old Jul 1st, 2001, 02:40 AM
s.fowler

"Our" Paris hotel is Hotel La Motte Picquet on the corner of rue Cler and Ave La Motte Picquet. The rooms are recently renovated with, oddly, sort of a Tuscan "look" -- the bathrooms are tiled and clean. Mme. Ireland runs a tight ship -- she's not warm, but if you observe the niceties she's responsive. She also has an adorable little poodle named Maja who loves attention! And a little French goes a long way with her. We've stayed there twice and I will be staying there again for 5 days in September. [YES!] Danielle is the desk person who speaks English -- she's a peach. Fax is the best way to reserve. <BR><BR>The hotel is half a block from the Ecole Militaire metro stop [line 8] -- which I find very useful. The only downside is a cramped breakfast room and a minimal breakfast -- you'd be better off on rue Cler!<BR><BR>The price? Between $65-70 USD for singles/doubles. The rooms ARE small -- but then c'est Paris<BR><BR>Website: http://www.france-hotel-guide.com/h7...tepicquet2.htm

Old Jul 1st, 2001, 02:44 AM
s.fowler

At the high end of your price range is Hotel Bersoly's in the 7e one block from the 6e. It is a great location for walking to museums and shopping -- however it's not that near a convenient metro. We liked it a lot -- it's just we can get 80% of the charm, plus an interesting location for almost half the price at Hotel La Motte Picquet.<BR><BR>Website: http://www.france-hotel-guide.com/h75007bersolys2.htm

Old Jul 1st, 2001, 05:41 AM
Fuzzy

I live near Atlanta &amp; check Delta fares frequently. They often lower a fare about 2 months before you want to go, so check their site right after Labor Day. Also check the website of "economy travel.com" since they're located near Atlanta &amp; many of their deals are with Delta.

Old Jul 1st, 2001, 07:54 AM
BOB THE NAVIGATOR

Izzy, I just got $455 incl.tax from Atl. to Zurich and out of Munich. I am going over on 3 Oct and return 17 Oct.<BR>It may be too late but check out Bestfares .com. Also check www.tiss.com