faithful ape/jolly monkey

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 3rd, 2003, 02:00 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am going to Salzburg end of this month and would like to go to the beer hall mentioned on this forum (yes I have tried using the search facility but to no avail). The translation if I remeber is something like the faithful ape or jolly monkey. Would be grateful if someone could give me the original German name. <BR><BR>Thanks!
Old Feb 3rd, 2003, 03:15 PM

Here is a link to a thread which has a positive review:<BR><BR>http://www.fodors.com/forums/pgMessages.jsp?fid=2&amp;tid=1235669<BR><BR>I found it by putting &quot;ape&quot; in the text box and clicking on Germany. The search function seems to work best with single words, or two word combos (&quot;salzburg and beer&quot.<BR><BR>Have a great trip!
Old Feb 3rd, 2003, 03:23 PM

Also tried &quot;ape and salzburg&quot; and got several threads - this one has the German name:<BR><BR>http://www.fodors.com/forums/pgMessa...p;tid=34375473
Old Feb 3rd, 2003, 05:38 PM

The German term is Zum Fidelen Affen.<BR>Fidelen is translated from German as jolly or merry. Affen is translated as monkeys or apes. I would translate it as At the Happy Monkeys. <BR>I do not know why sometimes I see it in English as the Faithful Ape. I don't think there is anything faithful intended in the German name. <BR><BR>I know in Die Fledermaus Frosch, the friendly jailer, remarks as he enters at the start of Act III, in some versions, Hallo, also, das ist ein fideles Gef&auml;ngnis. He certainly does not mean this is a faithful jail.<BR><BR>As to whether or not you think it means ape or monkey depends on what you think the character on the sign over the door is. Ape, monkey, chimpanze, orangutan, or gorilla? Looks like a chimp to me.<BR>At any rate, it is a simian creature of some specie.<BR><BR>Perhaps one of our native German speakers could shed some light on whether or not it is a monkey or a chimpanze, and whether or not fidele means happy or jolly.<BR><BR>
Old Feb 4th, 2003, 07:13 AM

Being a native German speaker I can confirm that the translation of &quot;fidel&quot; should be &quot;happy&quot; or, even better, &quot;jolly&quot;. There may be a confusion with the Spanish name &quot;Fidel&quot; ( e.g., Fidel Castro ) which means indeed &quot;faithful&quot;.<BR>The German word &quot;fidel&quot; is a little old-fashioned. In today's German one would say &quot;fr&ouml;hlich&quot;.<BR><BR>The words &quot;ape&quot; and &quot;Affe&quot; or obviously related. However, &quot;Affe&quot; is a general term for any simian creature which is matched by the English word &quot;monkey&quot;. My dictionary says that an ape is a special kind of monkey, and that the German word for &quot;ape&quot; is &quot;Menschenaffe&quot;. Perhaps the creature under discussion is indeed a chimpanzee. In this case, both &quot;ape&quot; and &quot;monkey&quot; would be appropriate.<BR><BR>In conclusion, I'd translate the name as &quot;At the jolly monkey&quot;.
Old Feb 4th, 2003, 05:17 PM
Original Poster

Thanks very much for all your replies, they were very informative.<BR><BR>Rest assured that two weeks this coming Sunday I shall be raising my beer glass to you in ' zum fidelen affen'!!!<BR><BR>Cheers chaps