Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Fabulous trip to Ireland planned and now pregnant - to go, or not to go?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 20th, 2000, 09:42 AM
Sara

Hi everyone. My husband and I planned a wonderful trip to Ireland for February, and I just found out that I am pregnant. Has anyone done a similar trip while pregnant? Would I be silly to go? Or just fine? Help!

Old Nov 20th, 2000, 10:44 AM
Christie

I'd recommend asking your obstetrician whether or not he/she advises that you go. Wait a few weeks and see how you are feeling; you don't want to have morning sickness the whole time you're on your trip...

Old Nov 20th, 2000, 10:48 AM
Lori

Hi Sara. First, congrats! I went on a sailing vacation in the Virgin Islands when I was 12-14 weeks pregnant. I had an amazing time. Not showing yet, not tired anymore, no more morning sickness. GO GO GO because you won't get a chance again for several years.

Old Nov 20th, 2000, 01:49 PM
sally

Sara: Similar thing happened to me in 1987; husband had business trip to Portugal and all my expenses would be pd.; was newly pregnant when trip evolved and would be 2 mos. when traveling--also was older and worried abt. health. Ob-Gyn said go and have fun, as I was doing well and had no morning sickness. The flight was tiring and it took me several days to recover once we arrived; however, once I did, I had a great time and am glad I went. One word of caution: avoid x-ray <BR>machines; ask the security folks to ck. you with hand wands they have as opposed to making you walk thru the area next to x-ray scanners; better yet ask your Drs. opinion. Mine said to avoid them, tho.

Old Nov 20th, 2000, 03:05 PM
nancy

Sara, <BR> Yes!Go! <BR>It maybe quite awhile before you and your husband get overseas again. <BR>I agree with the above posters, you should be over major morning quesiness, and you certainly will not be dealing with last trimester uncomfortableness. <BR>My husband and I were in Tobago many years ago. <BR>I had obviously gotten pregnant right before we went, and was almost 4 months pregnant when we flew home. <BR>All was well there and with flying home. <BR>GO and enjoy yourselves. <BR>nancy <BR> <BR>

Old Nov 20th, 2000, 09:02 PM
Donna

Assuming your OB/GYN gives you the go ahead, my vote is definitely for going. Most women will tell you (myself included) that the second trimester is the best one. Others will advise (and I agree with this as well) to do everything you want while you can, before the baby arrives. And, you can't imagine what a really good idea that is until after the baby comes. There's just one hitch. You didn't mention whether you will be traveling by car or with a tour. Either way, it is entirely likely that you'll need to find a rest room more often than you can possibly imagine. I know I would go dozens of times before leaving the house and need to once again as soon as I headed down the road in the car. So, hopefully, you won't be traveling where "civilization" is too far apart, or will be on a tour bus with a restroom. I'd bet that the natives will be happy to accomodate you if you knock on their door, though, so don't hesitate to do that. In the alternative, just be sure to have a box of tissues or whatever along at all times.

Old Nov 21st, 2000, 04:14 AM
ilisa

Go for it! You may want to take along a copy of your medical records (my OB suggested that to me when I was pregnant).

Old Nov 21st, 2000, 05:35 AM
Cindy

Go, go, go! I went to Great Britain while about 4 months pregnant. No problems at all. If your OB says it's OK, then you should be fine.

Old Nov 21st, 2000, 08:14 AM
Rosemary

I found myself in the same situation, but still in the throes of morning sickness when we were to travel to England. I did go, and encourage you to do so too; however, your husband should be understanding if you are suddenly sick, tired, or hungry. My trip was made unhappy not because of the morning sickness, but because of my then-husband who was not at all understanding. He is no longer my husband (for other reasons as well).

Old Nov 21st, 2000, 08:23 AM
William

If you are planning to rent a car, and if you are the kind of person who gets nervous with traffic - DON'T GO! Unless, of course, you are used to driving on the left side. The experience can be pretty terrifying and nerve-wracking; I myself had two car-accidents in 5 days, and my passenger-seat friend chewed pretty much all of his nails...

Old Nov 22nd, 2000, 02:00 PM
Tim

Go, but don't get into a car with William. <BR> <BR>You'll be fine, and I'm sure your husband will enjoy having a built-in designated driver. The only problem I would anticipate is the ever-present second-hand smoke. Certain pubs are better than others, and you'll just have to see what you can stand. <BR> <BR>Double-check with your insurance company about your travels. Almost all provide coverage for emergancies overseas, but it's a good idea just to know exactly what type of coverage you have.

Old Nov 23rd, 2000, 10:29 AM
julie

Hi..I have had 6 kids, and went everywhere. If you are heathly, there should be no concern..taking regard, of course, not to strain yourself (like scuba diving, rock climbing, etc.) Many folks find that they feel better when they are pregnant than any other time, and when the baby comes, it gets more difficult to travel.

Old Nov 24th, 2000, 03:51 AM
Amy

GOOOOOOOO!!!! Trust me, it will be MUCH harder to travel once you have the baby. (Although still possible!). For work, I went to the Philippines (first trimester), Thailand and Malaysia (beginning of third trimester) all while pregnant. Bring your medical records; check with your doctor ahead of time; then go and have a great time.