Search

Eze or St Paul de Vence?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 29th, 2005, 11:59 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Eze or St Paul de Vence?

Hello,

Just a quick poll, if you only had time to see one of these cities, which one would it be?? I've heard great things about both of them, but we only have time to see one? (Is Eze much easier to get to than St Paul from Nice?)

Thanks!
Old Mar 29th, 2005, 12:08 PM

St Paul de Vence in my opinion is much better than Eze, though Eze has a more stupendous view.
Old Mar 29th, 2005, 12:16 PM

Eze is quicker to reach from Nice - bus best way goes right to village. Eze-sur-Mer rail station is on the sea and the Philsophers' Staircase, formerly used by Neitzke (? sp) climbs an incredible number of stairs up to the perch Eze is on. Buses take a bit longer to reach Saint-Paul - a few miles from St Paul de Vence is Vence, another lost-in-time old Provencal town and on its edge is a famous modern art museum - a great walking trail goes between the two Vences - and take bus back from the other. Both Eze and St Paul can be incredibly mobbed during July and August.
Old Mar 29th, 2005, 12:22 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
St Paul-de-Vence, IMHO. I like it so much going back overnight , a third visit. The Maeght Foundation alone is worth a visit. Ezes is beautiful from the top and there's a garden and castle ruins. Very crowded because of the very narrow streets. They are NOT cities so you can do both in an afternoon.
Old Mar 29th, 2005, 12:38 PM

Another vote for St Paul de Vence. We've been to both and the one we really wanted to go back to was St Paul de Vence (which we did after a delay of many years). The Foundation Maeght alone is worth the trip but the town is also lovely.
Old Mar 29th, 2005, 12:53 PM

The two villages come down to this. If you love art and browsing art galleries with the works of extremely talented artists choose St Paul de Vence. If you want the greatest view on the Riviera choose Eze. If it's a cloudy or foggy day forget all the above and just get on the bus for St Paul de Vence and get interested in art.

I love them both and visit both several times a year.

Larry J
Old Mar 29th, 2005, 07:41 PM

Eze has incredibly beautiful views, but the town area itself pales in comparision to St Paul de Vence. I love them both. The beauty is magnificient at Eze, & the town more interesting at St Paul. I'd actually suggest doing them both, if possible.