Eyrignac Gardens--Dordogne

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 15th, 2012, 11:37 AM
Original Poster

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post

We are staying in Sarlat and thinking of the gardens on Sunday, Sept. 16th. The website mentions some activities for Herritage Days with things that are not on view at other times.

I don't see this site mentioned often here on Fodors so I'm wondering it it's something we should put in our plans?

If we do visit the gardens, can you sugest anything nearby that we should see on the drive to & from Eyrignac?
Old Jul 15th, 2012, 12:34 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
here's the website:

http://www.eyrignac.co.uk/

we went several years ago and liked it a lot, and I know that others here have liked it too. we were particularly amused by the way that the guide kept referring it as a "sensible, orderly French garden" so unlike [impliedly disordered and stupid] english ones.

We were staying nearby in Salignac, so it wasn't much of a stretch for us. looking at the map I can't see much that I remember being memorable in the immediate area - you could drive a big loop back to the river at Carlux, or include it in a day trip to Rocamadour.

if you have the time, i would definitely go.

there are other gardens overlooking the dordogne nearer to Sarlat :

http://www.marqueyssac.com/

you could combine those with a visit to castelnaud or a barge trip along the river.
Old Jul 15th, 2012, 12:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
There is a 16th Century oil mill (Moulin de la Tour) in Sainte-Nathalène offering delicious walnut oil, hazelnut and almond. It's very interesting for a short visit.

http://www.moulindelatour.com/gb/histoire.htm
Old Jul 15th, 2012, 01:10 PM

I would certainly recommend the gardens at Eyrignac. During the Journees du Patrimoine, there will be, as you say, parts that are not normally open including the Manoir itself.

'les visiteurs découvriront les jardins comme ils ne les ont jamais vus : le détail des sculptures végétales, les allées en pelouse accessibles, le parterre à la française, l’atelier des jardiniers, l’intérieur du Manoir. Tout ce qui ne peut être vu tout au long de l’année sera dévoilé le temps d’un week end.'

It will be busy, but it's a big place, and so shouldn't be too bad.

We were in fact there this morning for a baptism - open air mass in the garden, and a drink with the owner in the courtyard. It only rained a little! But everything was looking very green and lush with the damp cool weather we've had.

'White picnics' during the summer as well. Very civilized.

I dont agree that there is not much to see in the area. If you go do, think about the small chateau at St Crepin - it will probably be open on that weekend, but in fact it's the view from outside that makes it one of the most charming in the area. And then there is St Genies, a gorgeous village with lauze roofs that you don't often see in such profusion. Good market there on Sunday mornings also.

The gardens at Marqueyssac are also very nice, but not the same quality and profusion as Eyrignac. Wonderful views though.
Old Jul 15th, 2012, 01:27 PM

I dont agree that there is not much to see in the area.>>

that's not EXACTLY what I said -it's a while since we were there, and sadly i don't remember seeing St. Genies and its roofs.

i agree about the quality of the gardens at Eyrignac.
Old Jul 15th, 2012, 05:32 PM
kja

Highly formal gardens with a lot of topiary work are not usually among my favorite places to visit, but I was quite taken with the gardens Eyrignac - lovely!

Hope that helps!
Old Jul 15th, 2012, 07:24 PM

Yes, I will agree with those who have said Eyrignac is worth a trip! We were there last September, and really enjoyed these gardens.
We spent a lot of a day there, having lunch in the restaurant. There is a lot to see, including the two homes on the property that one can rent!! Nice to dream about that, cuz the houses were charming!

Also the manor house is beautiful soft local stone, and the chapel is also worth a photo!.

There is a white garden which is quite interesting, but most of the rest of the gardens are more sculptured boxwood, and topiary rather than English perennial borders.

We also went back to our rental house, by way of St. Genies, which is wlell worth a visit. Lovely stone houses with those lauze roofs, pretty unspoiled, although there was a bus load of French tourists leaving town just as we arrived.

You can find more about our day at Eyrignac in my trip report, under my name. (and also about Marqueyssac)
Old Jul 16th, 2012, 06:11 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the suggestions. I will definitely be asking more questions as we plan our other days. The Fodorites trip reports and comments are better info than most guide books.

Here's my thoughts for Sunday 9/16:

Sarlat to
Cingle de Montfort view

Now, do we stay on the N. side of the river & stop in Carsac??? to Rouffillac, then go north

OR

Cross the river, take D50 to St. Julien and cross river back north. Prettier drive???

Stop in Carlux for the view
Walnut mill closed on Sunday
Eyrignac Gardens

Stop in St. Crepin and St. Genies on the way back to Sarlat.

Any comments in this itinerary will be appreciated.
Old Jul 16th, 2012, 09:40 AM

I would suggest that you stay on the north side of the river.

From Sarlat, go down to Montfort to check the view.

Continue along through Carsac - beautiful church, one of the nicest Romanesque churches.

Continue through Aillac, also with a Romanesque church, but not as good as Carsac. (D50 on the south side is not as interesting.)

Heading toward Carlux check the top of the hill on the other side of the river as you drive along - good view of Chateau de Fenelon.

Come to Carlux for the view (not sure which view you mean, but there is a good view from the chateau. Read the brochure I translated into English) There should be 'animations' here, although not much, on the Journees du Patrimoine

North towards Salignac, detour to Eyrignac, then into Salignac and over to St Crepin. Park your car at the top of the hill and walk down. It's really worth it - you see the chateau in a fold of the hill as you walk down. Walk around the village a bit.

Back up the road and take the route directly opposite to St Genies.

Somewhere in there you will want lunch. There is a restaurant (and a picnic place) at Eyrignac, which might be a good bet, if you've managed to get up early. Otherwise there is the Gabarre restaurant in St Julien for the Carlux part of the trip, before Eyrignac. If you're thinking of this, make sure to reserve. Great food and welcome.
Old Jul 16th, 2012, 03:48 PM

Carlux: you really know this area. How great for tpayt and others that you are on this forum!

By the way, tpayt, my trip report is called "Diversions in the Dordogne." fwiw, but carlux has such good hands on ideas!
Old Jul 16th, 2012, 11:00 PM

Well, since I live in a village called, oddly enough 'Carlux' it's not surprising!

Although, even after 18 years here, we still feel we haven't seen everything. Got lost the other day coming home from Marcillac - the mistake was to follow the GPS, who didn't know the roads as well as we did.
Old Jul 16th, 2012, 11:34 PM
kja

Another aside to Carlux -

I don't know if I ever thanked you for mentioning the wonderful garden in Carlux - delightful! I spent several very enjoyable hours there last year after reading your recommendation. It wasn't easy to find, but it was worth finding!

Thanks for commenting on it!
Old Jul 17th, 2012, 12:25 AM

Hopefully coming to the Dordogne next year (2nd visit) so bookmarking this post for reference.

Carlux, I will have some questions soon...

Schnauzer
Old Jul 17th, 2012, 02:08 AM

'the wonderful garden in Carlux - delightful! I spent several very enjoyable hours there last year after reading your recommendation. It wasn't easy to find, but it was worth finding!

Jardins de Cadiot - particularly nice in the spring, and well worth visiting. And you pass our house on the way.
Old Jul 17th, 2012, 03:55 AM

I'm hoping to go to this area soon.
Old Jul 17th, 2012, 05:55 AM
Original Poster

Carlux--so thankful for your expert advise on the area. North of the river it is. I read somewhere that there was a good view in Carlux from the chateau. I also read about Jardins de Cadiot. You mention that it's nice in the spring. How about in Sept? Or should we skip it and move on? If we do go to the gardens you might see a redhead waving and honking the horn as we pass your house---I hope it's the only house or else I'll have to wave a lot!

taconictraveler--I have your "Diversions in the Dordogne" under my favorites and I refer to it often in my planning. I appreciate all of the details.
Old Jul 17th, 2012, 11:43 AM

'Jardins de Cadiot. You mention that it's nice in the spring. How about in Sept?'

Hard to know. The garden has lots of roses, peonies, etc. By September they will be over. If it's a nice warm September, things could still be nice, but having said that, I think you've probably got enough on for that day, and won't have time. If you have 2 weeks (or more) here you might consider it.
Old Jul 17th, 2012, 12:22 PM

I was intrigued, so i found the website for the Jardins de Cadiot.

http://www.lesjardinsdecadiot.com/index.php

it includes 10 different gardens including a potager and a verger, and an english garden, so I think that there might be something to interest you in September!
Old Jul 17th, 2012, 12:31 PM
Original Poster

annhig--thanks for the website. It does look beautiful, but probably would be better earlier in the year.