Extra day in Murren or Florence?

Dec 15th, 2009, 07:47 AM
Original Poster

Extra day in Murren or Florence?

My fiance and I will be honeymooning in Switzerland and Italy for two weeks in June. We'll be starting our trip in Murren and then travelling to Varenna (Lake Como), then Florence then Rome. We have about 2.5 days in each place, but would like to add another day to either Murren or Florence. We've never been to either, and would appreciate any insight to where our time would be better spent.
Dec 15th, 2009, 08:00 AM

That is a tough one---they are very different! Florence would give you more time for art, museums, city walks, and great food choices. Mürren is very peaceful and relaxing, and a great place to stay if you like to hike and enjoy the mountains.

Since Mürren is your only stop in Switzerland, I'd suggest you add the day there. They are lots of interesting daytrips you can do, by boat, train, and cablecar, so you won't run out of things to do there, even if you aren't hikers.

Do you have a hotel in mind for Mürren?
Dec 15th, 2009, 08:06 AM
Original Poster

Thanks - we're leaning toward Murren, but were just concerned that we'd run out of things to do and/or wouldn't have enough time for all the sight-seeing in Florence. Right now, we're planning to stay at the Eiger Guesthouse in Murren.
Dec 15th, 2009, 08:13 AM

My vote would be for Murren! I love Switzerland
Dec 15th, 2009, 01:37 PM

Is that 2.5 days in each place after you factor in time spent moving from town to town?

For a honeymoon, I'd pick Murren also, but FYI you will not have enough time in either Florence or Rome (unless you've been to Rome before). I'd probably skip one or the other.
Dec 15th, 2009, 02:41 PM

I think your question is an easy one - what interests you or what do you value most: incredible scenery and lovely hiking, or incredible history and art and museums? Also, consider whether you are driving - if so,even though you can't drive to Murren (you park at the base of the gondola) you will be mobile enough to go to Interlaken, around the lakes, etc; in Florence you probably won't want your car (hard to get it into town anyway), but you might use one to drive to Pisa and a number of other nearby towns. So, history/art or scenery/outdoor life! Look at it this way - you'll love both places - we do, and we're headed back (to Murren next) soon.
Dec 16th, 2009, 06:26 AM

I one time booked myself and my spouse into Murren for 4 days and we ended up leaving early to stay at a lower elevation near a lake. It is hard to complain about the Alps, but I felt after a few days that being at the uppermost elevation, close to the bare-rock face peaks, was less interesting than being around a lake or a valley. I would have preferred being closer to other transportation (once you are in Murren, it is hard to day trip anywhere). Spiez, Wengen or Brienz would appeal to me on a return visit.

By contrast, my first visit to Firenze I spent 4 days without ever once feeling I was ready to move on. I have returned since, and still don't feel I've done anything but scratch the surface, and I was on the go all the time.

But they are very different places. Apart from day-time hiking and postcard shopping, I found nothing to do in Murren. It is extremely peaceful. Firenze by contrast is cultural overload, and much of it buzzes with traffic and tour groups. You have to work at it to get a bit of private space and peace.

Weather and food may make a difference to you. In June, it could be quite warm in Firenze. But the food is varied and delicious! Swiss cuisine is not my fave (although I did enjoy rosti and the Chinese restaurant in Murren.)

Good luck with your decision!