Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Extra charges for electricity in Sorrento apartment???!!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 4th, 2011, 06:45 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We finally found availability for the last week of May in an apartment in Sorrento - received the quote from the landlord...but......in addition to the E - 1000 for the week - - there is an additional charge of " .25 Euro per KW used". I have NO idea how to figure what this might come to for 6 days! I assume we will be running the air conditiong in the evenings.
Anyone paid these charges? Any estimate of what I can expect to pay?
Old Apr 5th, 2011, 12:44 AM

Have you asked the landlord what the average electric bill is for a week? That might be your best bet. I wouldn't count on needing A/C at the end of May. I once rented an apartment where I had to pay the elec. In 2007 I paid $168 for a month and I ran the heat part time for a couple of weeks.
Old Apr 5th, 2011, 01:08 AM

I've just had my electricity bill here in the UK and the charge is averaged at around 20 pence per KWH, so one quarter of a euro (that is what you mean?) is quite reasonable.

However, if I was renting an apartment for a week, I would expect that electricity would be included. Try some comparisons with other apartments and see if charging is the norm in Sorrento.
Old Apr 5th, 2011, 01:18 AM

Electricity many times is NOT included as to not punish those who do not run the A/C all the time, or have the electric heat on all the time.

Sometimes it will include the first xxxW spent, then the renter pays excess. But I have seen this many times while searching and do not think it would be worth disregarding an apartment you REALLY like over this practice.
Old Apr 5th, 2011, 03:59 AM

Hello Dorgal

Agree with adrienne to definitely check with the landlord/owner/agency what the average cost might be.

We've paid anywhere from 6 Euros to 30 Euros for electricity on a weekly rental. Just depended on the season.

However, in a French gite recently, we traveled with another couple, had separate gites but same owner. Our electricity ran only 8 Euros for the week; yet our friends had to pay 35 Euros for the same time.

They really loved their jacuzzi tub each night!

Note: None of our rentals have included air conditioning, so I have no idea what that cost might be.

Just an FYI - this fee is generally paid in cash upon departure, so don't spend all your money before leaving!

Also, there may be an additional cleaning fee or extra trash fee. One time in Switzerland, we had said our good-byes to our landlord, were already in our car with the engine running, when the husband came out and demanded 2 CHF because we had left an extra trash bag in the bathroom! Granted, this was our first apartment rental overseas ever and hadn't realized each bag is charged, but at the time it was quite surprising.

Happy travels!
Old Apr 5th, 2011, 04:44 AM

The average American household uses 30KW per day. I suspect the average Italian household is about half that. Assuming you'll be out and about during the day and running AC at night that's likely in the neighborhood of 15kW per day or:

15kw x €0.25 x 7 days = €26 for your entire stay.
Old Apr 5th, 2011, 04:47 AM

BTW, I kind of like the policy. It make's people environmentally aware. Otherwise, you'll get the occasional idiot who will run the AC with the windows open, etc. who is thinking (?) "Hey, I'm not paying for it!"
Old Apr 5th, 2011, 06:29 AM
Original Poster

Bardo1 - You are almost right on target! I emailed the owner and he said he wouldn;t guarantee it - but it should be somewhere between 30 and 50 Euros...which I guess is ok. The place is a perfect location but the terrace overlooks the street and nothing else- we had hoped for a view of the sea. Well - we are booking wuite late - most places are already gone so our choices are few. Thanks for all the responses - I feel a little better now