Extended stay vacations??????

Old Aug 20th, 1999, 12:35 PM
Araucano

Extended stay vacations??????

Hi and thank you in advance for your reply: <BR>I'm a 58yrs.old male planning to spend the month of december in either "Costa del Sol" <BR>or "The Algarve".I found an outfit in Boca Raton offering a 30 days trip to either location for $995 with a small surcharge from <BR>other airports than NYC.I would like to request information from parties that have taken part of this offers and their rate of satisfaction......Also,have you checked the <BR>travel agent through and if so,how can I do the same.......once again thank you.

Old Aug 20th, 1999, 12:44 PM
Andria

I am not the MOST experienced traveller but 30 days for $1000 seems really LOW! The realist in me says to be skeptical. But hey it is in december so maybe it's just in a really small hotel. i would check out more details on the accomodation.

Old Aug 20th, 1999, 01:00 PM
HelenF

As already mentioned, I would try to get the details on the accomodations, so you can get an idea what part of town you'll be in, and also be able to post a specific question (here or on other travel websites) seeking opinions. Also, find out exactly what's included in the package (transfers, what airline, any other details) so you know what you're supposed to be getting for your money. (And, so you can comparison shop if you wish to.) Finally, I would check with the Boca Raton Better Business Bureau, or other local consumer affairs office, to find out if the company has a history of not delivering on its promises. (But keep in mind that the worst offenders can just go out of business, and reopen under a new name, so a lack of complaints on its own is not enough to conclude that a company is reliable.) Hope this helps.

Old Aug 20th, 1999, 01:03 PM
araucano

Hi Audria: <BR> Thank you for your promp reply <BR>I would like to know if there is a place that check these travel agents before <BR>I sign the dotted line......the brochure <BR>says "Timor Sol"Apt.hotel......

Old Aug 20th, 1999, 01:12 PM
Andria

Just to give you an idea of how careful you have to be about spending that kind of money on a vacation...I'm planning a trip for May of 2000 and I have spent ALL week online looking at hotels. I will never book a hotel unless I see pictures of it on the inside and out, and I confer with other fodorites to get their opinion. So my advice is don't sign anywhere until you have been very thorough. You don't want to get stuck for a month in a rat hole. I always find it more economical to make my own arrangements rather than going through a travel agency. I book my own hotels by phone or fax, and I occasionally go to the travel agent for specific flight arrangements, but I'm planning on booking online for my next trip to france, since that's where you'll find the best rates. Call the better business bureau in boca and check out the agency. Hopefully you'll find some time to do your own research though. My grandmother actually lives in Boca, just thought I'd mention that. You'll have a great trip, just don't get sucked into any scams.

Old Aug 20th, 1999, 04:31 PM
Al

Be careful, friend. There is hardly anything that some person cannot make of cheaper quality and sell for less; and the person who judges by price alone is that man's lawful prey.

Old Aug 23rd, 1999, 10:36 AM
Bob K.

Araucano: <BR>Yes, the deal is by Sun Holidays of Florida and they give you a buffet breakfast daily, if I remember correctly. Off-season Costa del Sol and they fly you on Air Europa to and from Malaga, Spain. I have no info on the Portugal deal. A good deal, even for off-season travel. Timor Sol Hotel, is in Torremolinos and only a few shops and restaurants are closed in the off-season there, along the beach area. Calle San Miguel will be hopping, as will the shopping area of town, La Nogalera. <BR>Bob K.

Old Aug 23rd, 1999, 10:43 AM
pam

I am attaching a quote from Frommer's website about extended-stay vacations: "If I could bestow an academy award for travel, it would be to the operators of extended-stay vacations to Spain in the winter months. Next to the values offered by these one-month (and longer) sojourns, all other tour programs seem tawdry rip-offs, high-priced scams. <BR>...shout to the world: "The winners are" (pause): "Sun Holidays of Boca Raton and Grand Circle Tours of Boston--for their 'Extended Stays'!" <BR> <BR>Go to www.frommers.com and in the Search field enter "winter,Spain". The article I've excerpted above was the first reply to my search. <BR> <BR>HOpe this helps. <BR> <BR>

Old Aug 23rd, 1999, 10:50 AM
ilisa

You may want to contact the American Society of Travel Agents if you wish to check the business out. Their website is www.astanet.com. Their Consumer Affairs Department's number is 703-739-8739.