Exploring Tusany

Search

Exploring Tusany

Search this Thread

Old Aug 26th, 2015, 10:51 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exploring Tusany

We will be staying in Florence for 3 nights and are looking to drive to Tusany for a day trip and explore (see the beautiful countryside, walk around the towns, have a great lunch, etc). We were thinking Sienna and Montepulciano. Looking for recommendations. Is this too much in one day?
Old Aug 26th, 2015, 10:51 PM
Original Poster

Forgot to mention that we have a car.
Old Aug 27th, 2015, 12:55 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Siena, you tend to park at the bottom of the hill (you can find a top park as well but it is easier to get in and out of the parks on the west and south sides) and take the public escalators to the top, I'd get an early start out of town and go up, do the Duomo (the front looks like someone has used an icing gun on the marble) and the next door museum., then a walk down to the main square with a snack. If you have to eat lunch and have the money go to the left of the Town hall and look for the first place on the right, the view is poor but the food wonderful. Alt. you could eat in the square but really these are restaurants for the view. I'd just have a coffee and cake here.

The logical route then is the SR2 through one of the best valleys in the area, with major sites both along the road and up in the hills around. Use Google maps to chose just a few. I'd have lunch along here somewhere, but up to you. Seriously worth time here before you get to Monte, some lovely little towns, abbeys, etc etc

Monte; Parking in town is either at the bottom or the top. I prefer the bottom. The walk is tough and while the shops are mainly aimed at YOU, there are few touts. The views from above the Duomo (and a fewe side look outs along the way) are worth the walk. Despite the heat and the people by about 5:30 the place will have thinned out and I've drunk spumante in the Duomo square in June with only Mrs B in sight. Not a bad way to rest before the drive back (and it will be easier to go back later as the traffic will be lighter).

So a long day but worth it and in my view better than the hack across to Volterra and St Gim
Old Aug 27th, 2015, 12:59 AM

Oh yes, middle of nowhere but on your route
http://www.piccolohotelsanvalentino.com/ristorante/
Old Aug 27th, 2015, 03:33 AM
Original Poster

Thank you. Would you also go to Montepulciano?
Old Aug 27th, 2015, 04:45 AM

I think he meant Montelpulciano when he said Monte.

If you are going to be in Florence I would not go to Sienna ( as it is another good size city). If you want to get the flavor of Tuscany then go to Montelpulciano and you could also do Pienzea the same day. They are both great towns but on a smaller scale and will give you a taste of the most beautiful parts of Tuscany. The view from Pienza is amazing. Don't try to do Sienna and Montelpulciano the same day. If you choose Sienna then go to San Gimignano (sp?) as they are in the same geographic area. Best advice is don't try to do too much just enjoy where you choose to go. We LOVED Tuscany. Have fun.
Old Aug 27th, 2015, 04:57 AM

You do not want a car in Florence---too much hassle.
Save your $$$ and buy a driver to Tuscany for a day.
Old Aug 27th, 2015, 05:14 AM

If you are also going to Rome during your trip, before or after Florence, it would be easier to drive to Montepulciano on the way to or from, rather than do it as a day trip from Florence.

I agree with the advice that if you want to see the Tuscan countryside then it makes sense to stick to villages in the countryside rather than visit Siena. However, you will have more time to explore if you go to the Chianti area, which is just southeast of Florence. That area is much prettier than San Gimignano, and is famous for its vistas with vineyards and castles, with loads of scenic places to have lunch.

If you have a car, it is sometimes easier and more fun to simply spend a night in the countryside -- meaning 2 nights in Florence and 1 in the countryside -- rather than do a day trip. But some people will never stay someplace for just one night, so up to you.
Old Aug 27th, 2015, 05:21 AM

Sberg, right.

Yes I would do the trip but it will be a long day, I've done both on the same day, by car and you have to keep moving and plan for it. If you are doing it on a hot day it would be frazzling. st quirico d'orcia (which stupidly I always think of as the saint of the killer whales) also makes for a nice stop with lovely old rose garden up by the walls to rest in.

I would prefer to spend more time in the hills and by the rivers dawdling on a bike, but that is not your plan
Old Aug 27th, 2015, 05:30 AM

no "t" in san quirico d'orcia
Old Aug 28th, 2015, 01:20 PM

I love San Quirico too. We spent 2 weeks in that area last year and I would go back in a minute!