Exploring Scotland by car

Old Jul 7th, 2003, 11:24 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exploring Scotland by car

We will have a car and a week after visiting Edinburgh in early September. Where should we go, or what should we not miss? Where should we stay, where should we eat - what was your experience, good/or bad.
Old Jul 7th, 2003, 12:39 PM

Im no expert as many will soon point out. But I think the scenery along the coast in the Highlands is spectacular. There's a castle (I think it's Castle Stalker) that's out in the water along a very pretty drive between Oban and Ft William. Ft William is pretty forgettable, but the drive from there to Invergarry, past Eileen Doonan (photogenic but a bit of a letdown) and on to the Isle of Skye is also pretty spectacular.

I also liked the drive around Killin and Aberfeldy.
Old Jul 10th, 2003, 09:01 AM

I agree with Snoopy; Skye is awesome. I would definitely include it in your itinerary. Loch Ness is also beautiful.
Old Jul 10th, 2003, 05:30 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, Snoopy and Kendra. Any tips on where to stay in Edinburgh?. Also, any experience with B&Bs, average prices for a couple? We think we will not prebook anywhere, just wander. Is this doable?
Old Jul 11th, 2003, 07:15 AM

We have just spend the last week of June and the first week of July touring Northern Scotland by car. It was the best experience of our lives. The scenery along the coast of the highlands is breathtaking. I highly suggest doing the scenic drive up to John O' Groats. Just be warned that some of the roads are one track. You get used to driving them quickly, but always be careful. The Isle of Skye is also very nice. Loch Ness is beautiful, be sure to go to the castle on the shores of the lake. We found that exploring castle ruins was more fun the being led through a tour at a furnished castle. But by all means stop and look at what you like. We stayed and bed and breakfast type places on our trip and just loved most of them. The Flodigarry Country House on Skye was disappointing to us. It was overpriced for what we got. The Newton Lodge was great though. It is near the Old Man of Stor(sp) and the Kilt rocks. We ate breakfast at the hotels, which was included in the price. Most other meals were pub meals because fast food is just not available in many of the small wonderful towns of northern Scotland (and Skye). One problem food wise we came discovered was that many places closed down on Sunday's. We bought sandwiches and crisps at gas station and ate like many people we saw while traveling. Stopped at an overview and ate while watching the mountains and valleys. Our experience was wonderful. The fresh air, the friendly people, the unhurried nature of the area, I miss it all as I sit in an internet shop in London (where I will be the rest of July).
Old Jul 14th, 2003, 04:34 AM

Just got back from Scotland last month. We did the drive from Aberdeen to the Isle of Skye and it took 5 hours total driving time. We stopped at Loch Ness for lunch, and also and Eileen Donan Castle (can never spell that one). Be warned that some of the roads in Skye are one lane roads with pull offs to let other cars pass, while you also watch out for the cliffs and the sheep. It was well worth it though, wonderful scenery. I highly recommend a Bella Jane boat trip. (they have a website). I'm into castles and really love Stirling castle (you'll pass it if you drive from Glasgow to Aberdeen), as well as Glamis Castle (Setting for Macbeth). There's a nice castle in Stonehaven called Donnator where Hamlet was filmed (it's not decorated, more of a ruin, but really wonderful).
I could tell you lots about Aberdeen (as my fiance lives there), or Edinburgh also. Not sure exactly what you need to know though. Email me if you like, I've been there two times in the past year. [email protected]