Experts - Any opinions?

Dec 22nd, 2006, 01:12 AM
Original Poster

Experts - Any opinions?

I am SO confused... so many places I'd like to see.... I'd love anyone to share their advice. We are flying into Paris in June and leaving Milan 13 days later.... But I just can't decide on a good itinerary for in between! Every time I think I have the itinerary down, I watch a Rick Steve's DVD and change my mind.... (We have already been to Venice, Florence, Rome, Naples, Pisa, Sorrento, Capri....)
I was thinking about four days in Paris then somewhere in Germany to take a boat on the Rhine then down to Lake Como....I would buy a Eurailpass..
Any and all suggestions are welcome.... Thank you in advance!

Dec 22nd, 2006, 01:29 AM
lawchick

Paris, Munich, Salzburg, Vienna, Trieste, Milano

Dec 22nd, 2006, 01:34 AM

Hi kathypdoe
Your question is really general and the title of the post is not very helpful to be honest, however...look at the facts.
you have just under 2 weeks.
you start in Paris and you have to get to Milan.

First thing to do is to chuck Rick Steve's DVD back onto the DVD rack where it belongs and get out a map of Europe.

Divide your time up into small chunks maybe 3 you only have 2 weeks !

Start with Paris. Ok 4 days what do you want to see there? is 4 days enough or too little?

Next Germany, nail down what you want to see there and calculate the time needed. Thats about 7 or 8 days gone leaves about 5 to travel to Milan and all in between.

This is where the map comes in.

What is in between?? How will you get there? Boat, rail ??

Then study the route that will take you and work from there.

Sorry to ask such questions but this is really the start only.
You need to fill in the gaps based upon what you like to do.

Once you have the initial tentative first idea re post and you will be inundated with better advice than I could ever offer.

Good Luck

Muck

Dec 22nd, 2006, 02:15 AM

I presume you've also considered going south? After 4 days in Paris, you could swing south to Provence for 5 days---with car, of course. Then train from Nice to Milan (4 1/2 hrs, 45 euros 1st class). Up to Lake Como for last 2 or 3 nights, depending on whether you have to spend the last night in Milan to catch your flight.

Alternative: you could drive through the Alps to Lake Como and turn the car in there.
Dec 22nd, 2006, 12:46 PM

Author: kathypdoe ([email protected])
Date: 12/22/2006, 05:12 am
I am SO confused... so many places I'd like to see.... I'd love anyone to share their advice. We are flying into Paris in June and leaving Milan 13 days later.... But I just can't decide on a good itinerary for in between! Every time I think I have the itinerary down, I watch a Rick Steve's DVD and change my mind.... (We have already been to Venice, Florence, Rome, Naples, Pisa, Sorrento, Capri....)
I was thinking about four days in Paris then somewhere in Germany to take a boat on the Rhine then down to Lake Como....I would buy a Eurailpass..
Any and all suggestions

For what you describe I think a point to point rail ticket, in this case a globasl ticket, will suffice, bought in Germany. The best stretch of the river is from Neiderlahnstein (just south of Koblenz) to Bingen, and detail of the river service is under KD Rhine Ship Service, which Google will find you at www.k-d.com/englisch/. Last summer a boat left Neiderlahnstein at 0930 and reached Bingen at 1500. Yiou can book this yerar through two agents n the USA, Euraide of Florida, E-mail [email protected], phone
at the Florida office 941/480-1555, site http://www.euraide.com, or Budget Europe Travel Service, phone 800-441-9413 or 800-441-2387, site http://www.budgeteuropetravel.com/
Phone calls would tell you the better deal: Euraide are online to the German Rail c0mputer. A buffet car train leaves Bingen at 1652 and reaches Mainz at 1713 at a 10 euro fare. You can leave bags in a locker and ten minutes from the station you are strolling the city centre pedestrian area. A train with couchettes, sleepers with washbasins, sleepers with en suite showers and until midnight a restaurant car leaves Mainz at 2019 and reaches Chiasso at 0631. Nobody boards or leaves from 0038 to 0606. For a full night and at a low extra fare you can stay on board until Milan at 0745, and take the next train for fifty minutes north to Como about 0900. The fare from Mainz to Chiasso in a three berth sleeper is 160 euros each, in a two berth sleeper it is 240 euros, and in a double with shower it is about 300. Since this is a global fare it may be less. A shower before bed or before breakfast is good, if expensive.

Please write again if I can help further.

Ben Haines, London
[email protected]

Dec 22nd, 2006, 01:19 PM

Paris to St. Goar (on the Rhein) is about 5 1/2 hours by train, connecting through Koln and Koblenz. You could spend a couple of days there, then train to Luzern (about 6 hours by various routes)to look around and spend the night. From Luzern there is a direct train in 2 hours 40 minutes to Lugano, and a short 45-minute hop to Como. I think this is the most direct route (if including the Rhein area) to minimize train time, and takes in some lovely scenery.

You could also include a stop somewhere in southern Germany, or take a day or two to explore Switzerland from Luzern.
Dec 22nd, 2006, 05:22 PM
Original Poster

Wow! These are great suggestions!! Thank you so much! I will study the map and look into the websites/phone.... thank you again so much!! It seems so doable now!
Dec 28th, 2006, 10:27 AM

Paris, through Koln and Koblenz, to St Goar is indeed about 5 1/2 hours by day trains. You can save a hotel bill and travel time if you look in the reference library of a city near you at the Thomas Cook European Rail Timetable, board your train at Paris Est in a second class sleeper about 2215, leave at 2245, reach Frankfurt at 0702, leave at 0742, eat breakfast on board, change at Mainz 0818 to 0830 and reach St Goar at 0932. You can phione twio gents for costs: Budget Europe Travel Service, phone 800-441-9413 or 800-441-2387, site http://www.budgeteuropetravel.com/ and Euraide of Florida, E-mail [email protected], phone at the Florida office 941/480-1555, site http://www.euraide.com

Ben Haines