UK visa in New York

Dec 27th, 2006, 06:08 AM
Original Poster

UK visa in New York

Hi,
i've looked through all the UK gov't websites but can't find this info. I will need to get a visa for UK in New York. Have US GreenCard, but foreign passport (which requires UK visa). Does anyone know how long it takes once you submit it to the consulate? also, i saw they have an online e-visa processing. has anyone done? How long does it take?
thanks
Dec 27th, 2006, 06:57 AM

Why don't you contact British Consulate General in NY? On-line application seems to be only for booking the visa appointment.
http://www.britainusa.com/
http://www.ukvisas.gov.uk
Dec 27th, 2006, 06:58 AM

When my sister got her marriage visa (for the UK), she had to visit the US Consulate. She actually had to make a special trip back to the States in order to get it - she was already living in the UK. It sounds as if you're not American however. I would check with your native consulate and see if they can help you. Courious - what do you need the visa for? Just a visit? Good luck!
Dec 27th, 2006, 08:21 AM
Original Poster

yes, visa just for a tourist trip. for non-immigrant visa you don't need to go back to your native country. just going to london for a week. live permanently in new york. more curious how much leadtime you actually need to apply. every other visa i've applied for tourism ahs benn pretty quick (less than 2 weeks), but with UK i'm not so sure.
Dec 27th, 2006, 08:29 AM

I'd try contacting the British Consulate in NYC as W9London suggested. They may be able to tell you more than the websites do. Doesn't seem like it'd be this challenging!
Dec 28th, 2006, 07:43 AM

My spousal visa from the consulate in NYC took approximately 7 working days from the time it arrived until it was posted back to me in the US. It only took them about 3-4 days to actually approve it though. I'd give them at least 2 weeks to do it, especially if you're applying during busy periods like the end of summer when they're processing student visas.

I applied for my visa online, which was easy & self-explanatory. I'm not even sure if you can submit paper applications in the US anymore. You'll need a Visa/MC to pay for it at the end & access to a printer as well because you'll need to print off a copy of the application to send with your supporting documents such as payslips, mortgage papers, whatever you need to show ties to the US. It took me about an hour or so to go through the online application, so just make sure you have your documents to hand, including green card, as they request the number from it. You can save it and complete it later before paying for it as well, though I don't know how long they'll save it for. I believe you can send in a banker's draft if you don't have a credit/debit card, but it's been a while since I applied, so can't quite remember.

I don't know if you need to go for an interview for your visa, but the NYC consulate only tends to open appointment slots about 2 weeks in advance, so if you want to go in person to apply for your visa, you'll want to keep checking their calendar.
Dec 28th, 2006, 10:51 AM
Original Poster

thanks for very helpful info. a week is ok. i was just worried that it might be like the US process, where you have to plan for it months ahead. our trip is a bit on the short notice (hope to travel in 3 weeks).