Search

Excursions in croatia (Dalmatian Coast)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 12th, 2007, 07:16 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Excursions in croatia (Dalmatian Coast)

Hi all,

We are going to Croatia in August and are looking for some fun excursions/day trips to do while we are there. We'll be based in Dubrovnik for part of the time and in Hvar for the other part.

We were thinking of some trips like white water rafting, a trip to Plitvice, the Kornati islands, maybe rent a motor boat for a day in Hvar(are there nearby islands we can visit this way?) Would we have to go to Split first as a jumping off point for most of these things? Can anyone recommend any tour companies they've used or alternatively, the best way to do these things on our own?

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks very much!
Michelle
Old Jul 12th, 2007, 08:40 AM

If you're basing in Dubrovnik you may want to consider a day trip to Montenegro (Bay of Kotor/Budva/Sveti Stefan).

Atlas tours runs a variety of day trips from Dubrovnik. I didn't use them, instead my friend and I just rented a car for the day from a local rental car company and went to Montenegro for the day. The cost of doing it on our own was less then the "packaged" day trip with Atlas.

Have a great time in Croatia, I was there last September and loved it!

Old Jul 17th, 2007, 08:39 AM
Original Poster

Thanks very much!
Old Jul 17th, 2007, 08:47 AM

Ditto - the trip to Montenegro. I was there last Sept and took the Atlas trip. It was very beautiful and interesting.
Old Jul 17th, 2007, 09:59 AM

From Dubrovnik: Montenegro, Bosnia, Elafiti Islands, Peljesac peninsula are all day-trip distance. (Check with tourist office for rafting options, only ones I know of are in Omis, closer to Split)
From Hvar: Brac, Split, Makarska riviera, and Pakleni islands are day-trip distance.
Boats are available for rent in Hvar harbor.
Plitvice is too far and too amazing for a day trip from Hvar (even from Split imo, but doable). You'll pay an arm and a leg for organized excursions. You might consider a few nights in Split.