Search

exchanging euro

Search this Thread

Old Sep 8th, 2008, 03:54 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
exchanging euro

Going to Italy in Oct. Haven't been to Europe in many years. Where's the best place to change money to Euros? Here in the states or once we get to Italy? Thanks
Old Sep 8th, 2008, 03:59 AM

Just get cash out of ATMs using a debit card when you get there, for day to day expenses, and pay larger bills with your debit or credit card - the same as you'd do at home ?
Old Sep 8th, 2008, 04:34 AM

In Italy, use bank ATMs for cash using your ATM card. Use credit cards for larger purchases. Check to be sure you have a credit card that doesn't add 1-3% on top of the 1% charge mastercard and visa make.
Old Sep 8th, 2008, 06:24 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Some people feel more comfortable having local currency upon arrival (a few hundred dollars worth), so order from their home bank in advance. The fees are a bit more than if you wait until you arrive, but to some the ease-of-mind factor is worth the cost.

Old Sep 8th, 2008, 06:44 AM

I get about $100 in euros at the airport when I'm leaving. Easier than ordering from the bank. AAA or American Express offices sometimes have it. You definitely pay a LOT more for any of this.
Old Sep 8th, 2008, 07:30 AM

I travel to the UK & Europe several times a year on business, so, I generally have small amounts of Euro and £ on hand. However, I've never had any problem locating an ATM at any airport I've landed in. They are everywhere. But as Suze said...if you feel more comfortable having some cash in your pocket, then by all means, exchange some $$ at the airport before you leave.
Old Sep 8th, 2008, 08:15 AM
dmlove

<i>then by all means, exchange some $$ at the airport before you leave.</i>

No need to &quot;exchange&quot;...Just use your ATM at the airport to get some local currency.

Old Sep 8th, 2008, 10:02 AM

In order to &quot;arrive&quot; with some euros in your pocket, you exchange $$ at the US departure airport for euros.
Old Sep 8th, 2008, 03:34 PM

You can get euros from an ATM (bancomat in Italian) right at the airport when you arrive. It's much cheaper than trying to buy them in the US.

BE SURE to tell your bank when and where you are going so they don't think someone is using a stolen card. And ask if they can increase the daily limit on your withdrawals. Cash is much more the medium of commerce in italy than here in the US.

Be sure you have a 4-digit pin.

Sometimes one ATM will refuse your card. Don't keep putting it back in the machine -- after about 3 tries it will eat your card. just find another bank (they are all over the place) and try another ATM.