Reload this Page >

Excessive travel?

Search

Excessive travel?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 28th, 2001, 07:51 AM
mrs brown

Excessive travel?

<BR>I just finished reading the "addicted to fodors' thread, which lead me to another question. <BR> <BR>Is there a point when we become addicted to travel? Is there such a thing? <BR> <BR>I have gone to Europe 3 times in the past 6 months and have recently purchased a ticket to England for the 4th trip. My family has said that I am addicted to travelling! <BR> <BR>I just enjoy going and seeing all the wonderful things the world has to offer. It seems a perfectly reasonalble thing to me. <BR> <BR>Any opinions? <BR> <BR> <BR>Thank you.

Old Apr 28th, 2001, 08:06 AM
richard j vicek

Good morning, Ms Brown <BR>Yoour last paragraph says it all, we work very hard for the things in life <BR>and you enjoy going and seeing, it is <BR>reasonable and others that may not thilnk that are probably jealous, keep <BR>it up, we have for the last 30 years <BR>and 21 trips to EUR and still hope for <BR>more.. Richard of LaGrange Lark, IL&gt;.

Old Apr 28th, 2001, 08:11 AM
mrs brown

<BR>Thanks for the words of encouragement Richard. <BR> <BR>Anybody else?

Old Apr 28th, 2001, 08:16 AM
Judy

Mrs. Brown, You are "spot on", as they say.....if you have the will and the way, I say go! Judy

Old Apr 28th, 2001, 09:06 AM
Annette

There is the term, wanderlust, "a strong or unconquerable longing for or impulse towards wandering" - that somehow sounds to me like a shepherd who needs to see what's beyond the next hill. I believe there really is a term for a person who can't stop traveling, but unless you are a wandering lunatic, I don't believe you are an addict. I think the desire to travel has more to do with a love of geography and a penchant for a different, appealing culture. Since we live on this planet, we might as well see bits of it. mrs. brown, if your family wants to call you the "Robert Downey Jr." of travelers, let 'em! Just remember the airline unions love you.

Old Apr 28th, 2001, 09:13 AM
Not going to say

Yes, this sounds a little excessive. <BR>Please dont take this wrong, we dont know each other, but I am trying to be kind. <BR>Perhaps you should spend some time reflecting on why your life at home does not seem interesting. Or perhaps you are avoiding something. <BR>Just a thought. <BR> <BR>And yes I wish I could travel more like you do, and there are worse things to be excessive at. <BR> <BR>Good Luck.

Old Apr 28th, 2001, 09:32 AM
Mel

Mrs. Brown, you've got a loverly addiction! I share it! As for excessive, nothing wrong with that! Are we taking food from the mouths of our children? Are we stealing tickets from others to get on the plane? My personal story is that I first went to Europe when I turned 42 and I've been obsessive about it ever since. We made the usual sacrifices (hate that word--it was our pleasure) for our children, are dedicated to our jobs, don't live extravagently, pay our bills and are kind to dogs and strangers. I give up other things to be able to travel. I need the rejuvenation this gives me to face the rat race every day. My co-workers would agree. I'm swearing off for 2001 and just the other day someone said to me in a meeting "I know what you're thinking--you're wishing you were in London right now." I asked how he could tell and he said "Because you've been grouchy lately." So, my addiction is, in a way, serving a greater good--I'm a kinder, gentler person after a good trip abroad. (I also bring home simple goodies for everyone, which endears me to those who can't join me and fends off jealousy)!

Old Apr 28th, 2001, 09:41 AM
Mrs Brown

<BR>I think Annettes word "wander lust" described it very well.It hit when i was around 30 <BR> <BR>My significant other doesnt travel, so he doesnt understand it at all. He has only left his home state 3 times in his entire life! That is hard for me to comprehend. <BR> <BR>So now the question remains.. to go or not. <BR> <BR>

Old Apr 28th, 2001, 10:07 AM
Annette

It's Just my opinion, but I wouldn't worry with the psychoanalysis. Maybe you just love Britain! The issue might be, is there any reason or commitment at home that would not favor you being away? I had a two week solo trip planned for June, but realized that since I'm leaving my family for two weeks for a group trip in Sept, that I shouldn't be gone from my family twice in one year. So those sort of issues enter in. If there is no reason like that for you not to go, I don't believe it is excessive as long as you have "the readies" at hand.

Old Apr 28th, 2001, 10:12 AM
SharonM

I'm banking on Reincarnation. <BR> <BR>(...and making the best of this life...so much to see, so little time?)

Old Apr 28th, 2001, 10:18 AM
Ron

I to have the 'wanderlust'! I was 42 when my wife 'forced' me to go to Italy, and I was hooked! Florida was always my idea of a great trip. I am now 51 and just in the last 5 years, we have been to Europe 11 times. Some are 2 week trips, some are what we call "long weekends" (4-5 nites). All are great. We enjoy the people, the art, the architecture, the history, the cities, the country-sides, the culture and of course, the food that a variety of places offer. Many people do not understand this desire to travel (need?) and would rather stay on a beach (as I once did) for a week than to get lost on the Bavarian roadways, Italian hill towns, or Vienna back streets! And that's their perogative. But, oh how much they are missing.

Old Apr 28th, 2001, 10:23 AM
Jane

Tell everyone how horrible and expensive Europe is, that way we can minimize the crowds! Short jaunts to Europe? You must be american, as I pay a goodly sum to get there, and stay as long as I possibly can once I do!

Old Apr 28th, 2001, 12:00 PM
Jim Rosenberg

Nobody seems to worry about those who are "addicted" to staying at home. You just have a different concept of what your "neighborhood" is. It's YOUR world. Go see it and don't worry about what others think. You're addicted to eating and breathing and sleeping, too. To live well, you must go where you feel most alive. Happy Trails -- may they be many and FAR!