Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Has anyone been to Montpelier and Aigeus Mortes?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 27th, 2001, 12:00 AM
Paige

Hello! We're staying in Arles for a few days and I'm trying to pick some day trips. Rick Steves' book slams Aigues Mortes but it looks interesting. Any opinions on that or Montpelier? Thanks!

Old Apr 27th, 2001, 03:08 AM
PB

Montpellier is a good day trip... you can spend hours wandering around the old part of town as well as exploring the new. A university town, it is very vibrant with quite a bit to see. <BR> <BR>Aigues Mortes is a smaller version of Carcassonne - a completely walled city. I happen to like going there to wander around on a Sunday afternoon. It was the main embarkation port for the Crusades - although silted in now, and no longer right on the sea, there is still a small port. You can also take tours of the Camargue from there. <BR> <BR>PBProvence

Old Apr 27th, 2001, 03:17 AM
Paige

Thanks, PB! There's so much cool stuff in the area that it's hard to decide where to go!

Old Apr 27th, 2001, 03:39 AM
Georgine

Paige, <BR> <BR>Montpelier, combined with Aigues Mortes, will make a nice day trip from Arles. <BR> <BR>Montpelier is a very sophisticated city, with an attractive but small old town, lovely pedestrian promenades with flower gardens, and very good shopping. IBM has offices in the area, so there are many international business visitors to the city. We've overnighted there and really enjoyed it. <BR> <BR>Aigues Mortes , as Paige stated, is a smaller version of Carcassone, but just as touristed --particularly on weekends. <BR>It's fun to walk the ramparts, while getting peaks into some gorgeous homes and gardens that are adjacent. The castle tower is worth a quick tour and the town's central square has lots of activity and lovely outdoor cafes---very similar to the one in Arles. <BR> <BR>Between the two towns, you can always stop in Le Grande Motte --wealthy beach town with expensive sailing vessels mooring in the harbor and wide, clean beaches.

Old Apr 27th, 2001, 03:49 AM
francesca

Both are lovely towns. The rampart walk at Aigues Mortes is wonderful. What's to slam???

Old Apr 27th, 2001, 08:51 AM
StCirq

Both Montpellier and Aigues-Mortes are wonderful, if completely different types of, destinations. Put down that Rick Steves book and go! You'll enjoy driving through the Camargues, too, with its thriving birdlife and wild ponies.

Old Apr 27th, 2001, 11:52 AM
lynn

Hi Paige: <BR>We stayed in Arles last summer for a week and did the Camargue and Aigues Mortes along with some other stops. While Aigues Mortes seemed full of tourists (just like us) it was interesting. You have to marvel at the walls and the fact that they are still completely intact. <BR>The drive through the Camargue we loved. We were practically the only vehicle at times which made for a leisurely time to enjoy. We stopped at some roadside stands and bought some local produce which is something we always enjoy. <BR>By all means take the trip, you'll have a great time. <BR>Regards, <BR>Lynn

Old Apr 28th, 2001, 01:59 AM
PB

If you like to cook, one thing you should pick up while at one of those roadside stands is the Red rice....Delicous and easy to cook. the Camargue is huge rice growing area and you will see rice paddies everywhere. They have experimental stations there as well where they grow all kinds of rice... one of my neighbors has a friend who works on one, and I gave him some American Wild Rice - they were dying to try to grow it there (but I think it's too hot in this region for it).... I'm waiting to see what happened... <BR> <BR>PB

Old Apr 28th, 2001, 03:47 AM
nospam

How long to get from Arles to Aigues Mortes? <BR>

Old Apr 28th, 2001, 12:45 PM
PB

"" How long to get from Arles to Aigues Mortes?"" <BR> <BR>It will take you about 35 minutes by car. <BR> <BR>PB