Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Ewell, Surrey (England) : Accommodation advice

Notices

Old Aug 12th, 2001, 04:33 PM
Liz

I need to find suitable accommodation in Ewell, Surrey, for my Dad & 3 of his brothers & sisters. They would require the place sometime in the 2nd. week of September for at least 10 days. They are all elderly, on a budget and would prefer to rent a holiday apartment or guest cottage where they could save cost by preparing their own meals. They would also be relying on public transportation to move around. I would appreciate any help or feedback on this matter. Thank-you.

Old Aug 12th, 2001, 06:29 PM
Linda

I'm sorry I can't help you with a particular place, but ... Don't believe Ewell is a town highly frequented by tourists, so finding a holiday apartment may be difficult. There may be a "self-catering" establishment somewhere near. This would fit your requirements, but public transportation may be a problem since some are out in the country, though some are in town. You should be able to find somewhere by going out on the web, but I can't give you any help there. (Can any other Fodorite?) Another option would be a B&B, usually the cheapest way to go in England. They serve absolutely HUGE English breakfasts. They are big enough that the other two meals each day can be small, like sandwiches, etc.; things that can be made in your room without a kitchen. (Usually, after a full English breakfast, I can't even eat lunch. B&B rooms also almost always include an electric tea pot, an excellent way to heat water for coffee, tea, soups, etc., and they heat really rapidly.) To find B&B's, try www.smoothhound.com, an excellent source of any kind of accommodation.

Old Aug 12th, 2001, 09:06 PM
janis

Their best bet is probably a B&B or small hotel in Esher or Croydon or which are near to Ewell. Croydon has excellent public transport.

Old Aug 13th, 2001, 12:46 PM
Annie

I live near Ewell, but wouldn't suggest Croyden.. too Far, built up and not very pretty. Esher is quite a good bet but poss. pricey. Kingston-upon Thames is definitely the best bet. Very good bus and train services and quie a few inexpensive hotels and B&b's. Try and get in touch with the local tourist board,(possibly Surrey ) they would be able to help. I am not sure how you would go about renting a flat, I think you will find it expensive. What country are you coming from or are you already in the UK ? Good Luck

Old Aug 13th, 2001, 03:01 PM
nevcharlie

try the following webpage http://www.epsom.townpage.co.uk/index2.htm and search for 'Hotels'
Epsom and Ewell is really a commuter suburb aand not very touristy, I doubt if you will find a holiday apartment.

Old Aug 14th, 2001, 04:36 PM
Liz

Thank-you so much to all of you who responded to my request for help. I truly appreciate it. I'm going to check out the sites recommended & hopefully I'll be able to find something soon. Once again, thank-you!

Old Aug 15th, 2001, 03:15 AM
anthony felice

Try www.visitbritain.com This is the British Tourist Authority site.

I know the area very well. Self catering is scarce. Quite a few budget hotels are available though. Ewell is out in the country. Make sure public transport is accessible.

Old Aug 15th, 2001, 08:14 AM
JP

Try http://www.stilwell.co.uk/

Ewell isn't listed, so start with somewhere nearby such as Esher or Twickenham.