Notices

Scavi Tour Address for Payment

Old Jul 12th, 2001, 05:34 PM
Sherryl

Scavi Tour Address for Payment

Well, I finally heard back with a confirmation for the tour and the end of September. However, it doesn't say where to send the check. I e-mailed back, but still have no reply and was hoping one of you could help me out (again) - this time with a snail mail address.
Thanks ...

Old Jul 12th, 2001, 05:46 PM
Judy

Sherryl, how long did it take for the Scavi office to get back to you? I wrote them requesting reservations (also for the end of September) on June 30. I received the automatic reply that they received my request but nothing more. I'm just trying to figure out if I should make an additional request. Thanks.

Old Jul 12th, 2001, 05:57 PM
Sherryl

Judy,

I got my automatic reply on 6/28 and the confirmation on 7/11. I've seen some posts that it took almost a month for the confirmation. I'd hold off on a second request - you should be hearing soon. Good Luck - it looks really fascinating!
Let us know if you hear back with a payment address...

Sherryl

Old Jul 12th, 2001, 06:05 PM
Gerry

Sherryl:

Are you sure it's on your confirmation along with the directions?
Here it is:
Make check payable to Ufficio Scavi(your confirmation number).
Mail to:
Excavations Office
Vatican City, Europe

You must confirm receipt in person or by phone a few days before.
I assume you got the rest of the directions.

Have a nice trip,

Gerry

Old Jul 12th, 2001, 06:10 PM
Judy

Thanks Sherryl. I will hold off. I was afraid that a follow-up request might put a big black mark by my name and my entire request would end up in the round file!

Old Jul 12th, 2001, 06:26 PM
Sherryl

Gerry,

Thanks for the info - the directions are there, but there were several blank lines where the address should have been. I will be getting into Rome 8 days before the tour, but taking the train to Florence upon arrival. I won't be back in Rome til the day before the tour. Do you think 8 days is too far out to confirm or would it be better to ask the concierge in Florence to call? Also, have you taken the tour and if so, what can you tell me about it? There's not much in the books I've read. Thanks again ...

Judy,

I think you might be on to something with the round file ...

Old Jul 12th, 2001, 07:26 PM
Gerry

There are quite a few postings on this board. Try "Vatican Necropolis" post last answered 6/5. It comes up under search "scavi". Yes, I've been on the tour and enjoyed it.
We confrimed in person 2 days before the tour. The guy just checks to see if he got your check and marks you off. If they don't have your check, I think they will just make you pay again. You can do it by phone. And yes I would try 8 days in advance. They could only tell you to call back later. Probably you could do it the same day. Not sure that I'd chance it. They give the spots left by no-shows to stand-bys when the tour begins. Don't be late.

Hope you have a great trip,

Judy: My confirmation came 7 days after the computer response. But this will depend on how busy they are, how far ahead your request is, people being off, weekends, holidays etc. I wouldn't worry yet unless its time for you to leave.

Gerry

Old Jul 13th, 2001, 04:54 AM
donna

On confirming with the Scavi a few days before your tour - stupid me forgot to call to confirm.

I went there so nervous they would kick me out - but no problem at all. Also there were only 5 in our group and they take groups of up to 10 - so if anyone doesn;t have reservations - might be worth a shot you never know.

Old Aug 11th, 2001, 09:08 PM
Sherryl

Got my cancelled check back - cashed on 8/3!! I guess I'm all set - can't wait!

Judy,

Have you heard back from them yet?

Gerry,

Thanks for all your help!

Sherryl

Old Aug 12th, 2001, 11:42 AM
Judy

Sherryl: Yes, I heard from them on on July 17 and they confirmed our reservations for 9/24. Thanks for asking and have a great trip!!

Old Aug 13th, 2001, 03:15 PM
Mike Miller

Just another tip to add here that I got my confirmation today for Nov 3rd after 5 tries. 2 never answered, 2 said they were closed. I kept on trying every few weeks so if you get a negative reply just persist!

Old Aug 15th, 2001, 07:07 AM
Lizr

I received confirmation for the Scavi on 8/6/01 for a tour in October and the instructions say that payment can be made 10 min. before the appointment. Did others of you receive instructions that payment must be mailed? I don't want to lose my appointment.

Old Aug 15th, 2001, 07:15 AM
Ed

If the Scavi office is one thing, it's inconsistent. They have continually vacillated between requiring deposits in advance, no advance payment, full payment in advance ... may be related to the barometric pressure on a given day, though it certainly doesn't seem to be related to anything I've been able to identify.

In any event, follow their instructions ... and make sure to retain and take with you anything you get from them.

twenj

Old Aug 15th, 2001, 08:36 AM
Vita

LOL. My e-mail says I can pay FIVE minutes before the visit.