Evora vs. Obidos

Old Jun 27th, 2007, 05:11 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Evora vs. Obidos

My husband and I will be in Lisbon the week of July 23, 2007. I am trying to figure out where to go for the days that we will have a car (3 days). I have already settled on Sintra (of course; which we will actually reach via train), Fatima (we're Catholic, so we "have to" go), a drive up the coast, as far as we can go in one day (and return to Lisbon same day). For the last car day, I am torn between Obidos and Evora. I have spent hours readidng this forum and have read the comments about the two cities, but am having a hard time deciding between the two. Everyone seems to love Obidos, notwithstanding the touristy aspects of it. People also seem to love Evora.

Could someone who has been to both give me a short list of the good and bad about each city?

Many thanks!
Old Jun 28th, 2007, 03:05 AM
Original Poster

ttt
Old Jun 28th, 2007, 05:45 AM

I was in both last summer and really did love them both. For starters, look at my photos as that is always the way I decide where I want to go (www.pbase.com/annforcier)

When we were in Obidos there was a medevial fair going on and it really added a lot. Everyone (shop keepers, peoople in the streets, etc) were in costume and there was a big "fair" in the castle grounds with great food, crafts, etc. I'm not sure if it's the same week each year but the dates are close (we were there about a week earlier than your dates, last July). Perhaps you could google to find out.

But without the fair I'm not sure which I'd say was my favorite. Obidos is much smaller, a very intact walled town, beautiful whitewashed buildings, lots of flowers. But it does feel like a tourist town. I did love walking along the walls. Evora is larger, more of a real "city" (small city). Not as pristine. But it also has some really beautiful buildings, the old Roman temple is one the best I've seen outside of Sicily.

I don't think you could go wrong with either.
Old Jun 28th, 2007, 07:45 AM

Ann, I looked at your Portugal gallery again and was even more impressed. You are a real artist.
Old Jun 28th, 2007, 08:40 AM

Hi
You can go to Obidos when you come from Fatima.
They are both north from Lisbon. Go from Lisb to Fati and then to Caldas da Rainha, which is about 1 mile to Obidos.It is lovely (it's a small city surrounded by the castel's wall), dont forget to drink "ginginha"!...Next day
go to Evora is great, I love Evora. Hope you have a great trip. Alentejo has a great wine...
Old Jun 28th, 2007, 01:54 PM
Original Poster

Isabel - Your photos are just amazing! Thanks for sharing. Based on the photos, my vote goes to Evora.

Maia - What a great suggestion to tack Obidos onto the day we do Fatima. Don't know why I hadn't thought of doing that. (I had been looking at doing Tomar on the Fatima day.)

Bottom line: I think the two of you have solved my problem. We will be going to both Obidos and Evora!

Many thanks!
Old Jun 30th, 2007, 04:58 PM

I am a travel nut-although we are going to Asia this fall I am already working on Sept 08 for Portugal. We have time shares & I have accomodations in Madeira & the Algarve. I have 4 days inbetween timeshares |& after reading what you said about Evora I am thinking of staying in Lisbon 2 nights & driving to Algarve & staying 2 nighs in Evora. My question is where would anyone reccomond to stay. Please E-mail me direct as I am mostly on the Asia site-Thanks so [email protected]
Old Jul 1st, 2007, 06:33 AM

If you are in a budget travel I recomend Ibis, although ibis is outside the walls, it is still my choice and the one I know.
If you are a 5 * traveller try the Pousada dos Loios, which is a former convent.Good luck!