Search

Evora to Tavira

Search this Thread

Old Jun 1st, 2018, 02:39 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Evora to Tavira

We are traveling to Portugal in mid-October. Our original plan was to go to the Algarve. We are flying into Lisbon. We are doing a red-eye from Chicago to London to Lisbon arriving midmorning. I think a train ride to Albufiera is to much on day one. So I think will first head to Evora for a couple days. My question is what is the best way to get from Evora to the Algarve? Tavira is my first pick as a destination. But I am open to suggestions. If you are wondering why not Lisbon, Cascais, Coimbra or Porto? We did those last spring. I want relaxing, interesting, ocean and palm trees. We won't be renting a car so accessibility is key. I am thinking a Rede Bus but I am having a hard time figuring out their schedules. I would be happy for an ideas or suggestions.
Old Jun 1st, 2018, 02:48 PM

I assume you have started with the Rede website?

https://www.rede-expressos.pt/en/

and here's the train website:

https://www.cp.pt/passageiros/en/train-times

Did you take buses and trains last time?

Try Rome2Rio as well. Sometimes the trains work better, sometimes the buses, as I found out on my recent visit to Portugal.
Old Jun 1st, 2018, 06:18 PM

I went from Evora to Tavira on trains but I think bus could be quicker - train had to change twice - via Faro. I really liked Tavira - old city with a modern beach resort area a few miles away - but Lagos seemed even more old-worldish - not sure how much time you have but maybe two Algarve bases. Anyway book ahead on site andrew gives above and www.seat61.com is a great resource on booking own tickets online - general info trains also BETS-European Rail Experts and www.ricksteves.com.

Buses take about 5 hours; trains 5.5 hours but only a few a day and with two changes of train - buses go direct and are much more frequent; bus station a tad closer to central Evora than train station.
Old Jun 2nd, 2018, 12:55 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Train is easy but you have to change in Faro (which is interesting as you do it down on the port front) but probably slower than bus. Tavira is frankly nice, old Roman bridge, free wifi streets in some areas, large salt panning areas, beach is off shore (on sand bar). We stayed in the old tuna packing factory which was pretty good and a good walk to the best restaurants in town.
Old Jun 2nd, 2018, 05:47 AM

Bus is easier than train which requires two changes and takes slightly longer - bus is logical way to go.