Evora - 3 nights?

Search

Evora - 3 nights?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 21st, 2003, 02:54 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Evora - 3 nights?

I had planned 3 nights in Evora on an upcoming trip next month. However, now I'm beginning to wonder if it's too long.

I'll be arriving in from Elvas by bus probably around noon on a Friday. Planned on going to Estremoz on Saturday for the famous market. Then I figured I'd have Sunday to see more of Evora, take a guided tour of the area (megoliths, etc..) or visit another town in the area (Beja, Serpa, etc...).

Is 3 days too long in Evora? I don't like to be rushing around, yet I don't want to daly somewhere when I could have used the day to visit another place.
Old Aug 21st, 2003, 03:23 PM

I really loved Evora. It was probably my favorite city in Prtugal. I don't think 3 days is too much considering the side trips you are planning. Solar Monfalim is a beautiful hotel there I'd highly recommend.
Old Aug 21st, 2003, 03:27 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, worldexplorer!

I know Evora is a World Heritage city and as much as I love history figured I'd enjoy my stay there.

I already booked at the Solar Monfalim! Had done a search earlier and read the rave reviews. Always like to stay in places that don't feel like a big city hotel and this seemed like the spot.
Old Aug 22nd, 2003, 03:55 AM

I was one who replied to your other posts regarding Evora. My husband and I did not find Evora to be what we had hoped. I believe it just didn't live up to the expectations we had created in our mind--but that's our problem, not necessarily a reflection on Evora! However, with the side trips, I believe you have a good plan. We loved the megoliths. There is also a small village on the back highway between Evora and Estremoz (can't recall it's name now and I don't have a map) with castle and wall ruins. Depending on your transporation options out of Estremoz, I would also suggest the Palace at Vila Vicosa.
Old Aug 22nd, 2003, 11:32 AM

Cathy, We just returned from a wonderful trip to Portugal. Personally, I too found Evora not what I expected. I enjoyed seeing the town, but felt we were there too long. (3 nights) We (my husband and my parents) felt as though we saw Evora in one day and found many other places in Portugal worth more than 1 night. If you have day trips planned and will use Evora as a base, you should be fine. We stayed at Solar Monfalim as well (which was clean and comfortable, but the bed was unbearable - nice people and charming building though). Have a great trip!
Old Aug 25th, 2003, 04:46 PM
Original Poster

Thanks to you all for your help!

I think I'll stick with my original plan for 3 nights with day trips. Worst case I'll 1) either sit back and relax or 2) be spontaneous and leave a day early and head somewhere without reservations that sounds like fun!

Is there a room at the Solar Monfalim that is particularly nice (or not)?

Any restaurant recommendations?

Thanks again.