Search

Evora...

Search this Thread

Old May 7th, 2003, 07:08 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Evora...

I am thinking of visiting the historical town of Evora on my way to Algarve. What's your opinion is Evora nicer than Coimbra?
In Evora I have found "Pension Policarpo", is it worth staying there? Morever, I would like you to recommend me a good restaurant, except for Fialho, which must be very pricey.
Thank you!
Old May 7th, 2003, 07:36 AM

We were not able to get to Coimbra, so unfortunately, I cannot compare the two. My husband and I were disappointed in Evora. For a town in which the entire walled portion is considered a World Hertige Site, it was less appealing than other Portuguese towns and sites. That is just our opinion, take it for what it is worth. Others have raved about Evora.

That said, if you have the time, it is worth a stop. Depending on what you want to see, it may not take long. The Templo Romano, the Se and the City Museum are all very close to each other. We enjoyed those sites. I found the Bone Chapel to be too gruesome for my tastes--my husband liked it. We certainly did not need the entire day we had alotted for Evora--a few hours was enough.
Old May 7th, 2003, 07:38 AM

Forgot to add, we did not stay nor dine in Evora. We stayed nearby in Estremoz.
Old May 7th, 2003, 10:52 AM

We stopped in both Evora and Coimbra ona trip through Portugal in 1997. I much preferred Coimbra to Evora. It has a university with a fantastic library (where visitors are permitted only a few at a time so you need to be patient)and lovely downtown. The students wear traditional black capes. All very interesting. Evora has a Paradore with good food and the one Ancient temple of Diana, but IMO, that's it. Much more to see and do in Coimbra.
Old May 7th, 2003, 12:47 PM
Original Poster

Thank you very much for your responses.I am surprised to know that 1 day is enough in Evora because I have read that there are so many places of historical interest in Evora. Perhaps these places are not so much of importance.
Any other comments?
thank you
Old May 7th, 2003, 01:47 PM

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
I'll chime on in with opinionated content -

We found Evora to be attractive but not deserving of the hype. It's a fine old town, with some great artifacts and shops, but it didn't seem too representative of the Alentejo. Too big and bustling, maybe. We looked into and had a meal at the Pousada - lovely but it but seemed to be at the extreme end of the stuffy scale; several of the Pousadas we've visited were similarly afflicted.

If I can suggest an alternative, maybe a little out of your way but maybe not, think about the ancient hill village of Monsaraz a little east of Evora. A gorgeous, timeless place, looming over the wonderful Alentejo countryside. Ancient dark church, nice castle, shops and cafes, nothing to complain about. Down the road are standing stone circles from neolithic times, surrounded by cork trees or Eucalyptus, goat bells and storks on poles.

We stayed nearby at the Horta da Moura, a wonderful country inn; one of the nicest and most romantic places we've stayed in Portugal, or anywhere, really. http://www.hortadamoura.pt
Old May 8th, 2003, 04:08 AM

I agree with Gardyloo about preferring Monsaraz over Evora. We liked Marvao even more--in fact it was a highlight. However, it is farther away from Evora and may not fit with your plans.
Old May 8th, 2003, 07:04 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for your nice responses that I am going to take into consideration.You know,I am from Greece and live here so I believe that villages such as Monsaraz, Marvao, Estremoz have many similarities with the greek ones, won't be so special for me.Moreover, historical places there are limited in contrast to Evora.
Evora seemed to be nice because of its various historical places.I am dissapointed to know that it has been commercialized.
Old May 9th, 2003, 01:17 PM

Just passed through both Evora and Coimbra in April, one night in each. Evora was cute, stayed at the Solar Monfalim which we enjoyed, especially sitting out on their patio having a beer and writing postcards in the sun. Had a nice breakfast there, too. There isn't much to do in town, but we thought it was nice enough for an overnight trip. Did the Bone Chapel, the temple of Diana, wandered around, took a bus tour of some local "menolithic sights", but missed the cathedral (closed for lunch). Happened upon a local "farmers market"- type place where we grabbed fresh cheese, bread, fruit, etc and had a nice picnic in a park in the sunshine - good stuff for those of us who live in rainy climes.
Did not like Coimbra. Had a lousy hotel, lousy dinner, nothing much to see or do that we could find (granted we didn't try too hard as it was only a place to catch the train to Salamanca) and while we spent a good bit of time walking around the university, we never saw anything of note. Did have a nice sunset, though. Took the bus from there to Condeixa and walked out to the Roman ruins at Conimbriga, which were interesting.
One night in each town was enough and, frankly, I don't feel the need to return to either one, but I don't regret having spent time in either one. I'd pick Evora over Coimbra.
Old May 9th, 2003, 01:34 PM
Original Poster

Your comments are very helpful. I will finally in Evora on my way to Albufeira. Could you inform me please how did you book your room in Solar monfalim? Alone or by a travel agent?
Thank you very much!
Old May 26th, 2003, 01:45 PM
cmt

Did any of you travel within Portugal by public transportation rather than car?