Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Everyone suggest the Hotel Simon in Seville, but it's full--other suggestions?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 12th, 2003, 04:52 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The Simon looks like what we were looking for, but apparently everyone else thought so too. The Laurel is more than we want to spend. Some books have recommended these places all of which have openings--Hostal Londres(London), Hotel Zaida, Hostal Picasso, Hotel Seville, Hostal Murillo, Hostal Van Gogh. Ever been to any of these, or have any other recommendations? What I'd really like is a room with a refrigerator (not that any of these places have them), so if you also know of a place that is good and would have a refrigerator could you please tell me. Otherwise, please help me to pick the best of the lot here. Thanks.
Old Feb 12th, 2003, 05:53 AM

Julie, use the text search at the top of the board for "seville" and you get lots of comments on Seville hotels. I stayed at Alacantara, it was nice and very well located but not in the spectacular category.
Old Feb 12th, 2003, 06:00 AM

Have you tried Hotel Amadeus? I can't give you any personal feedback as I haven't stayed there yet (not until May anyway) but it got many favorable reviews and it looks cute on its' website.
Old Feb 12th, 2003, 06:10 AM

We stayed at the Hotel Las Casas de la Juderia in Sept 2001. If I recall correctly, we called them the morning of the day we would be arriving and they did have availability. Nice rooms, helpful/friendly staff. I think the rooms were quite large. This is a short walk from the Cathedral. I do not recall refrigerators in the rooms, though.
Old Feb 12th, 2003, 08:58 AM

I also steyed at the Casa de la Juderia (summer 2001) and found it to be excellent. While it may be pricier than the other places, it is definitely worth it. In Seville in the summer (although I'm not sure when you're planning to go) air conditioning is ESSENTIAL! In that kind of heat it is well worth it to spend a little more and have a comfortable room to come back to. Also, there was a small refridgerator in our room (take out the hotels items and stick in your own, then replaced them before you leave).
Old Feb 12th, 2003, 09:58 AM

Yes, Casas de la Juderia is lovely, but Julie has said that Hosteria Laurel is above her budget, and Casas costs more than the Laurel!<BR><BR>We are booked at the Hotel Amadeus, which has rates just slightly below teh Laurel for our dates (standard room.) However, this is on the high end of our budget, and I certainly considered cheaper places.<BR><BR>http://www.spainhostels.com/links/Andalucia/Sevilla/Sevilla/index.html<BR><BR>This has links to many hostals (family-run small hotels, not youth hostels) in Sevilla. The Hostal Arias looks quite nice for the price, and is in the Barrio Sant Cruz. <BR><BR>You can text search here for each place on your list, i.e., &quot;van gough and seville&quot; - I believe there's been some feedback on most of them, and or &quot;hotel and seville&quot; for general recommendations.
Old Feb 13th, 2003, 12:30 PM

We have stayed at the Murillo. I don't know what you are looking for ...luxury or economical? However our demands on Hotels are simple since we don't spend much time in the room or lobby etc.This Hotel was quiet,clean,simple,historic,near Cathedral and parking,and reasonable.
Old Feb 13th, 2003, 01:01 PM
Original Poster

Thanks all.<BR><BR>Duke--I think you hit what we are looking for and that we are similar types of travellers. Since we usually spend all day out of the room, only returning to shower before bed, we don't need much more than a convenient location and a clean room with a comfortable bed. Yet, I still prefer something that isn't a bleak stripped down lodging. Having used this board to plan several European trips, I think I have figured out that my hotel needs and espectations are probably lower than most people who post here. I lnow it is all a matter of personal preference and that is why there is a wide range of accomodation types available.
Old Feb 14th, 2003, 05:57 AM
aj

We are very happy to have received confirmation for the Hotel Amadeus in May. I agaree that their web-site looks good and I hope we are not disappointed. I will post our experiences when we return. I am very excited about our first visit to Seville. Good luck on your hotel search.
Old Feb 15th, 2003, 05:14 PM

The Hotel Dona Maria is one of our favorite hotels. If you can fit it into your budget, I would highly recommend it. The small bar off the lobby is a perfect place for a nightcap and the rooftop pool area provides a splendid view of the cathedral square.
Old Feb 15th, 2003, 06:35 PM

My husband and I stayed at Hotel Amadeus in December. We were happy with the hotel.. It was quite charming - nicely decorated, though our room was not as nice as the rest of the hotel (which was fine). The bathroom was very surprisingly spacious. The location was perfect. Perhaps it was a little pricey for what it is.<BR><BR>The room actually did have a small refrigerator! Maybe a dorm size fridge (We kept orange juice, water and beer in there.) In the evenings we enjoyed the roof deck - nice benches and deck table and chairs.
Old Feb 16th, 2003, 06:38 PM

<BR>You are not missing much by nost staying at Hotel Simon. I just stayed there recently and wish I didn't. Seville is too beautiful to have it spoiled by hoteliers like them. Please see my posting in &quot;Rants and Raves&quot;. I will be back in Seville soon and looking at Hosteria Dona Lina and Hostal Sierpes in Barrio Santa Cruz.<BR><BR>Have fun and enjoy it to the max!<BR>
Old Feb 18th, 2003, 05:20 AM

Hotel Becquer
Old Jul 21st, 2003, 12:35 PM

In Spanish the saying goes
sobre gustos no hay nada escrito,
I didn[t think the Do&ntilde;a Maria was that good, the matter in fact I believed it is over priced....
I shall be trying Casa de la Juderia this October.
Old Jul 21st, 2003, 01:13 PM
aj

I guess since this messsage was brought to the top I will say that we did spend our hotel time in Seville (May) at the Amadeus and loved it. The hotel was bright, clean and friendly staff. A very nice &quot;boutique hotel&quot;. If I am lucky enough to return to Seville I will stay there again!
Old Jul 21st, 2003, 06:22 PM

Thanks for the update!!
Old Jul 25th, 2003, 04:16 AM

I have just booked the Tryp Macarena for late August at a rate of E50 per night plus tax. It's slightly out of the center but has parking and a rooftop pool with brilliant views across the city. There is a minibar in the room. This is the best price I have seen for a 3-4 star hotel with a pool. The special offer is through their website www.meliasol.com - they also offer slightly higher special offers on the Colon which is higher graded and more central, but no pool.